Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 & TrueCrypt

Last response: in Windows 7
May 8, 2012 10:29:35 AM

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone here knows about TrueCrypt. If you put it on a computer then later have to do a system restore, will it damage the computer? Or what would happen?

Unfortunately I have roommates who got into my notebook PC (HP Pavilion g7-1219wm) and were seeing where I went online and my email. I know because I could hear them talking about it. On someone's advice I did a system restore and started TrueCrypt. It takes a long time and was still encrypting when I left my room for only a little while. When I got back there was an unfamiliar disc in my machine that I did not put in there, and the disc has since disappeared. So do I need another system restore, or would that work again? Since TrueCrypt has encrypted Windows would it damage everything? The support for the website states one might not get a response if you emailed them...

I'll need to find something to lock my computer into when I leave my room for even a moment, before doing another system restore or getting another computer. I need to find other roommates as well, obviously, but until I can afford that, I need to find a way to protect myself.

Thanks

Cathy

More about : windows truecrypt

May 8, 2012 10:50:43 AM

depends, did you encrypt the whole system drive? or do you have an encrypted partition?

if this is for school only and you really do not have any windows specific programs, download ubuntu and install it on your pc. it has an encrypt home folder option and you can lock the pc when you leave. as long as you have a good password, typically 12-18 characters.

but that's just me
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 8, 2012 10:58:50 AM

It sounds to me like your system may be compromised by a key logger or something equally sinister. You can install Truecrypt and encrypt the entire system drive but that will only prevent someone accessing the computer from cold boot. Normally a windows password would suffice to lock the machine while you are away as they would have to reboot and then of course would run into Truecrypt again. The thing is the moment you leave the machine unguarded someone can install a key logger thus rendering all your security useless.
m
l
Related resources
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
May 8, 2012 12:52:55 PM

1. Set password in bios for when it is first powered on.
2. Disable boot from USB in bios.
3. Restore to clean out the crap.
4. Install Windows, setup a strong 12 character password.
5. Use truecrypt to encrypt only the windows partition.
6. Install firewall and antivirus software.
7. Always lock the computer.
m
l
May 8, 2012 1:14:48 PM

das_stig said:
1. Set password in bios for when it is first powered on.
2. Disable boot from USB in bios.
3. Restore to clean out the crap.
4. Install Windows, setup a strong 12 character password.
5. Use truecrypt to encrypt only the windows partition.
6. Install firewall and antivirus software.
7. Always lock the computer.

^This.
m
l
May 8, 2012 3:40:36 PM

Truecrypt only stops people from booting up your machine. If leave your machine running unattended people will still be able to use it.

A strong password is the way to go, truecrypt is way over the top for home use.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 8, 2012 4:44:03 PM

And finally, report your roommates to your school. Whatever they are doing is illegal, to start with.
m
l
!