laptop recording, advice for novice.

Hi,
I have Cakewalk Home Studio, and i'm happily recording through my PC.
Setup is simple, two mics into Behringer mixer into PC soundcard
(Soundblaster Live). Now i know this is slightly low tech but i'm
happy with the results. Now what do i need to do to do the same on my
laptop? I have a Dell Latitude D505 with (i think) a sigma tel C-major
soundcard (it only has a mic and earphones input). Is this possible at
all? If not what do i need to buy to do laptop recording of similar
quality to my PC setup?

thanks.
7 answers Last reply
More about laptop recording advice novice

    "caveplayer" <cruth@hologic.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I have Cakewalk Home Studio, and i'm happily recording through my PC.
    > Setup is simple, two mics into Behringer mixer into PC soundcard
    > (Soundblaster Live). Now i know this is slightly low tech but i'm
    > happy with the results. Now what do i need to do to do the same on my
    > laptop? I have a Dell Latitude D505 with (i think) a sigma tel C-major
    > soundcard (it only has a mic and earphones input). Is this possible at
    > all? If not what do i need to buy to do laptop recording of similar
    > quality to my PC setup?
    >
    > thanks.
    ________________________
    Contact Bryon Low at Annex Pro, em addy bryon@annexpro.com

    Their URL is http://www.annexpro.com/home/

    -bg-
    www.thelittlecanadaheadphoneband.ca
    www.lchb.ca

    Use an external USB device to get sound into the computer. You connect
    your source (microphone, instrument, mixer output, whatever) to the box,
    and the box connects to your computer via USB.

    I use a Digidesign Mbox, which comes with Pro Tools LE software.
    Mackie, M-Audio and Edirol have similar devices too.

    - Lorin David Schultz
    in the control room
    making even bad news sound good

    (Remove spamblock to reply)

    "caveplayer" <cruth@hologic.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I have Cakewalk Home Studio, and i'm happily recording through my PC.
    > Setup is simple, two mics into Behringer mixer into PC soundcard
    > (Soundblaster Live). Now i know this is slightly low tech but i'm
    > happy with the results. Now what do i need to do to do the same on my
    > laptop? I have a Dell Latitude D505 with (i think) a sigma tel C-major
    > soundcard (it only has a mic and earphones input). Is this possible at
    > all? If not what do i need to buy to do laptop recording of similar
    > quality to my PC setup?
    >
    > thanks.

    "caveplayer" <cruth@hologic.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I have Cakewalk Home Studio, and i'm happily recording through my PC.
    > Setup is simple, two mics into Behringer mixer into PC soundcard
    > (Soundblaster Live). Now i know this is slightly low tech but i'm
    > happy with the results. Now what do i need to do to do the same on my
    > laptop? I have a Dell Latitude D505 with (i think) a sigma tel C-major
    > soundcard (it only has a mic and earphones input). Is this possible at
    > all? If not what do i need to buy to do laptop recording of similar
    > quality to my PC setup?
    >
    > thanks.

    The C-major codecs aren't bad at all as AC97 codecs go, but I think you have
    the one that only has 16 bit sound and, more importantly, does not have a
    line in.

    So, what you need is a box that plugs into your laptop's USB port, and will
    have some kind of line in jack. The boxes made for musicians usually have
    mic pre's in them and start at around $150. In general, the pre's aren't
    going to be much better than the ones you have in your mixer.

    There is a soundblaster external USB box for around $50 with line in jacks.
    You may want the extra features of the more expensive boxes to replace your
    mixer, but be aware that you won't necessarily get better sound.

    jb

    Anybody used Magma, or similar expansion thing (PCI through CardBus)?
    Seams one could use regular PCI sound cards with laptops and notebooks.

    In article <dc62m0hpdt5st94i7vjv7im7kl3ver8bkk@4ax.com> luxey1@eunet.yu writes:

    > Anybody used Magma, or similar expansion thing (PCI through CardBus)?
    > Seams one could use regular PCI sound cards with laptops and notebooks.

    You can, but unless there's a unique card that you really want to use,
    or have some specific application (like you want to use a UAD-1 with
    your laptop) it may not be a good deal any more. It was a good
    solution for adding a multichannel interface or a high quality stereo
    card back when those were only available in the PCI configuration.
    With USB and Firewire interfaces of decent quality here today, an
    expansion chassis may not be a very cost effective appproach.

    caveplayer <cruth@hologic.com> wrote:

    >I have Cakewalk Home Studio, and i'm happily recording through my PC.
    >Setup is simple, two mics into Behringer mixer into PC soundcard
    >(Soundblaster Live). Now i know this is slightly low tech but i'm
    >happy with the results. Now what do i need to do to do the same on my
    >laptop? I have a Dell Latitude D505 with (i think) a sigma tel C-major
    >soundcard (it only has a mic and earphones input). Is this possible at
    >all? If not what do i need to buy to do laptop recording of similar
    >quality to my PC setup?

    Since you're comfortable with the lower end of the price scale, you might
    try an M-Audio MobilePre USB. For under $150 it gives you two mic pres,
    a USB interface, headphone monitoring and it's powered via the USB.

    moskowit@core-sound.com Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912

    I have had good luck with the iMic (USB ADC) and it is $40.

    http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imic/

    You can only record in Win98 but I think that you can also playback in XP.
    I use Win98 and the cool thing is that iMic does not use special drivers!

    John

    "Len Moskowitz" <moskowit@panix.com> wrote in message

    > caveplayer <cruth@hologic.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I have Cakewalk Home Studio, and i'm happily recording through my PC.
    > >Setup is simple, two mics into Behringer mixer into PC soundcard
    > >(Soundblaster Live). Now i know this is slightly low tech but i'm
    > >happy with the results. Now what do i need to do to do the same on my
    > >laptop? I have a Dell Latitude D505 with (i think) a sigma tel C-major
    > >soundcard (it only has a mic and earphones input). Is this possible at
    > >all? If not what do i need to buy to do laptop recording of similar
    > >quality to my PC setup?
    >
    > Since you're comfortable with the lower end of the price scale, you might
    > try an M-Audio MobilePre USB. For under $150 it gives you two mic pres,
    > a USB interface, headphone monitoring and it's powered via the USB.
    >

    > --
    > Len Moskowitz PDAudio, Binaural Mics, Cables, DPA, M-Audio
    > Core Sound http://www.stealthmicrophones.com
    > Teaneck, New Jersey USA http://www.core-sound.com
    > moskowit@core-sound.com Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912

Pro Audio Laptops Audio