IDE cable connectors

aznguru

Distinguished
May 30, 2002
I'm 'confused' by IDE cables and the many ways connectors are oriented relative to each other. I have a pile of IDE cables in front of me and as far as I can tell, there is no pattern as to how the connectors are oriented on the cable.

I have a round single device 10" IDE cable where the board connector and the drive connector are on the same side of the cable.

I have a round dual device 18" IDE cable where the board and master connectors are oriented the same way but the slave connector is rotated 180 degrees (hold the cable vertically and rotate the connector about the vertical)

I have a flat single device 18" IDE cable where the board and device connector are oriented the same way.

I have a flat dual device 18" IDE cable where the board and master connectors are on the same side but the slave is once again rotated 180 degrees.

I have another flat dual device 18" IDE cable where the all three connectors are oriented the same way

I have a third flat dual device 18" IDE cable where the master and slave connectors are oriented the same way but the system connector is rotated 180 degrees.

Is it just me or there no set standard what-so-ever?

-Dan
"I like to play with magnets..."

Thats a very good question, I've wondered the same thing myself, I believe if there is a standard, then some of the cables we've ended up with, were obviously manufactured about 30 minutes before quitting time, on a Friday afternoon.Ryan

Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.

For a start, if the cable has a thin red line, that's the end you line up to pin 1 on the HDD or mobo. Pin 1 is usually the end nearest the power socket on the HDD.

Cables with a twist are floppy cables, and usually the section with the twist is at the drive end.

<b><font color=blue>~ <A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/index.php" target="_new">Anyone looked in here yet?</A> ~<font color=blue></b> :wink:

aznguru

Distinguished
May 30, 2002
I realize all that. However, the fact remains that when you straighten some IDE cables out some of the connector, we'll say relative to the red line, are on the OTHER side. This means that the original six cables have one of the following arrangements for the connectors (in no particular order):

master =| device =| master =|
| | |
|= slave | slave =|
| system =| |
system =| |= system

master =|
|
slave =|
|
system =|

Maybe the pictures will make it more clear what I am talking about.

-Dan

aznguru

Distinguished
May 30, 2002
Damn, my pictures all got messed up. Here goes try two...

=| master
|
|= slave
|
=| system

|= master
|
|= slave
|
|= system

|= device
|
|
|= system

|= master
|
|= slave
|
=| system

-Dan

You can use the codes [ pre ] and [ /pre ], but leave out the spaces. This keeps things spaced the way you typed it.

<b><font color=blue>~ <A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/index.php" target="_new">Anyone looked in here yet?</A> ~<font color=blue></b> :wink: