need emergency help!!

Invisible

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2002
Hi everybody,
I have an IBM Deskstar 40 GB hard drive in my hand now. When i hooked up everything and tried to boot, the screen indicated that it couldn't detect any hard drive. I think I have set all the jumpers (to be master) correctly, if the hard drive is not detected, does that mean it is broken? is there any other way that i can find out? I am really desparate right now, so please help~

By the way, here is the jumper thing located behind the drive:
9 1 2 3 4
X 5 6 7 8

--Note: x is not a slot at all, pin 9 is by itself

the diagram suggest that if i connect (1, 5) and (4, 8) together, it will be fine. However, i have tried that, and it doesn't work, so i really have no clue about it =(

Thank you so much
Invisible

Napoleon

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
Which 40GB Deskstar model exactly (120GXP, 60GXP, 40GV)? Are you trying to set up an additional HD, or is said Deskstar your only one? Did the drive just stop working? Also, do you have some other IDE device on the same cable? If so, you'll need to jumper both devices appropriately. Jumper the one connected to the middle connector as slave and the other as master. Of course, could be that the drive is simply broken. Does the drive at least spin up when you switch on the power?

Tell us a bit more about your system, please...

<font color=red><b><i>You want WHAT on the [-peep-] CEILING?!</i></b></font color=red> -Michelangelo

Invisible

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2002
okay, here is more information:

I believe this 7200 rpm 40GB hard drive belongs to the 120 GXP model. This is the only hard drive that i have. While there are two IDE channels on my motherboard (IDE 0 and IDE 1), I connect the IDE 0 to the IBM drive (set it to Master as well), and connect teh IDE 1 to the CD-ROM. The computer detects the CD-ROM just perfectly fine. First i thought it is a problem with the IDE channel, so i switched the channel and the same thing happens, i am sure it is not the ribbon cable as well .. because i can boot up another drive with it ... the only problem is: The computer just won't detect the hard drive (regardless whether i set it as a master/slave/cable select) I think the drive is just bad, but before i get another new drive, i wanna make sure it's possible to save this one.... hope this helps

Napoleon

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
Well, according to <A HREF="http://www.storage.ibm.com/hdd/support/d120gxp/d120gxpjum.htm" target="_new">jumpering instructions</A> at the IBM website there's a couple of additional jumpering tricks you could try; jumpering for 15 heads and the capacity clip. It's still not quite clear to me whether it's a brand new drive, though, or an old one that has stopped working. If the drive has worked for you <i>before</i> but won't work any more, jumpering it differently isn't going to do any good.

Anyway, if the drive doesn't even spin up when you switch the power on, it's definitely toast.

<font color=red><b><i>You want WHAT on the [-peep-] CEILING?!</i></b></font color=red> -Michelangelo

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
From memory for the master setting the jumpers must be 'I::I
Ensure the power connector is attached firmly. when you power up the computer, do u hear/feel thine hard spinning up?

Additionally, how old is your motherboard? Systems beyond a certain age has issues detecting Drives over 33.8Gb capacity.

<b>I am an Emotional and Intellectual Strumpet! :cool: </b>

Invisible

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2002
In fact, this is a 6 month old drive. It's my friend's drive, i am just fixing for him. According to him, the computer was working fine previously, but after he moved (where he put the computer at the trunk), when he started to boot it up again, it gave him an error which says fail_initialization, which many websites suggest that it is caused by the corruption of the OS. So .. anyhow, he restarted the computer couple times, and the same error occured, and eventually the computer just failed to detect the drive .. i am not too sure which motherboard he is using (some generic brand), but if it was working before, it should work now, and i doubt that the problem is caused by the motherboard, memory or so ... speaking of hearing the drive spinning ... well, i can't hear it .. but i am not sure if the drive is too quiet that i can't hear anything ... i think the drive is toasted .. but before i send the drive back to the retailer, just wanna see if i can do anything else

Note: I have tried to use the window xp to boot up, to see if it can detect any drive, but it couldn't ...

please reply

Napoleon

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
Methinks the drive is broken. Send it back to the retailer.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
ditto. methinks the drive is dead as a dodo as well.
either the move did something bad, or it just decided to die at that time.

<b>I'm Toms Hardware Guide Official Forum Strumpet! :cool: </b>

Scotty35

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2002
Ah yes the old moving the system and hard drive fail trick! It happens from rough handling or a bump in the road. Hard drives are very prone to knocks and bumps and even the slightest bump will unsettle a hard drive. I have had this happen to me, so now I normally remove the hard drives from my system if I move house and pack them in foam and then into a box, then I lay them flat inbetween a blanket in the car. Safer than eggs! :wink:

Try using IBM's <A HREF="http://www.storage.ibm.com/hdd/support/download.htm#DFT" target="_new">Drive Fitness Test (DFT)</A>.

This utility will give you an error number which will be very handy when you <A HREF="http://www.storage.ibm.com/warranty/" target="_new">request a RMA number.</A>

Good luck.

<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/index.php" target="_new">A better place to be</A> :wink: