manicmike

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2012
I recieved a call from a rather annoyed client (not due to something I did), who informed me that for about 2 weeks his internet has been running slower and slower, until it finally will not connect. I went in and found that while I can connect to google (although I must open a new tab to do so, I cannot type in a new URL to a tab that has already had one), and google search executes almost instantly, but I am unable to navigate to any other site, via link or manually typed.

I verified connection via the ping command in console: Google, Bing, Whitehouse.gov, microsoft, Tom's Hardware, all respond. AOL (the client's email) did not respond, but I cannot access ANY site other than google. I ran a Live Update and full system scan with Norton Internet Security (client's normal AV software). I'm due back at the client's office on Wed with a few parts to swap out in an attemt to fix the problem, but I was wondering if anyone had any theories as to what may be causing the issue.

Thanks,
Mike

Solution
download Rkill, TDSSkiller, RogueKiller, and Malwarebytes and run them in this order in Safe Mode with Networking on the computer.