"Average" PC speakers for checking mixes?

Just as Auratones were roughly representative of clock radios, and NS-
10s of home speakers, I imagine that even as we speak, folks are adding
cheap mini desktop speakers to their meter bridges to approximate what
things are going to sound like when someone pops their CD into the PC.

Are there any popular choices?

--
Jay Levitt |
Wellesley, MA | Hi!

    "Jay Levitt" <jay+news@jay.fm> wrote in message

    > Just as Auratones were roughly representative of clock radios, and NS-
    > 10s of home speakers, I imagine that even as we speak, folks are
    > adding cheap mini desktop speakers to their meter bridges to
    > approximate what things are going to sound like when someone pops
    > their CD into the PC.

    Right. Relevant and valid.

    > Are there any popular choices?

    Here's a toughie - approximate what things are going to sound like in a
    moving vehicle, without just burning a CD and playing it in the moving
    vehicle.

    Hey Jay,

    Every set that I've heard sounds just great, quite stunning in fact,
    especially with a woofer at yer feet, tho you must be quite close.

    Almost as good as headphones, eh?

    -bg-
    --
    www.thelittlecanadaheadphoneband.ca
    www.lchb.ca

    "Jay Levitt" <jay+news@jay.fm> wrote in message
    > Just as Auratones were roughly representative of clock radios, and NS-
    > 10s of home speakers, I imagine that even as we speak, folks are adding
    > cheap mini desktop speakers to their meter bridges to approximate what
    > things are going to sound like when someone pops their CD into the PC.
    >
    > Are there any popular choices?
    >
    > --
    > Jay Levitt |
    > Wellesley, MA | Hi!
    > Faster: jay at jay dot eff-em | Where are we going?
    > http://www.jay.fm | Why am I in this handbasket?

    "Jay Levitt" <jay+news@jay.fm> wrote in message
    > Just as Auratones were roughly representative of clock radios, and NS-
    > 10s of home speakers, I imagine that even as we speak, folks are adding
    > cheap mini desktop speakers to their meter bridges to approximate what
    > things are going to sound like when someone pops their CD into the PC.
    >
    > Are there any popular choices?

    Back in the 90's, the Apple speakers (can't remember the model, but I have a
    pair in the studio still) were the defacto standard for this (I created a
    ton of multimedia audio in that period, including tons of 8 bit 11khz for CD
    ROMS). However, in truth, it if works on auratones, it'll work fine on
    cheap multimedia speakers. I don't think you need an extra set if you have
    a set of auratones.

    I use an old cheap Sony boombox that I bought in the late 80's... kind of
    like my secret weapon. They have an aux in for connecting a CD player
    (stereo mini). If your mix sounds good on the Sony and on your other
    monitors, you're probably all set.

    "Jay Levitt" <jay+news@jay.fm> wrote in message
    > Just as Auratones were roughly representative of clock radios, and NS-
    > 10s of home speakers, I imagine that even as we speak, folks are adding
    > cheap mini desktop speakers to their meter bridges to approximate what
    > things are going to sound like when someone pops their CD into the PC.
    >
    > Are there any popular choices?

    Creative labs speakers from wal-mart or anything mid-price from aopen or
    acer, and you'll have what most people have on their desktops.

    jb

    On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 01:39:40 -0400, Jay Levitt <jay+news@jay.fm> wrote:

    >Just as Auratones were roughly representative of clock radios, and NS-
    >10s of home speakers, I imagine that even as we speak, folks are adding
    >cheap mini desktop speakers to their meter bridges to approximate what
    >things are going to sound like when someone pops their CD into the PC.
    >
    >Are there any popular choices?

    Hi,

    Maybe not a popular choices but you could check these out.

    TRIPLE P Pyramid Loudspeaker

    http://www.hhb.co.uk/hhb/uk/products/detail.asp?ID=1647

    Regards

    Jasper

    Jasper

    [please remove |remove| from e-mail adress for reply]

    "Jay Levitt" <jay+news@jay.fm> wrote in message
    > Just as Auratones were roughly representative of clock radios, and NS-
    > 10s of home speakers, I imagine that even as we speak, folks are adding
    > cheap mini desktop speakers to their meter bridges to approximate what
    > things are going to sound like when someone pops their CD into the PC.

    Auratones and NS-10s were both found to translate exceptionally well. A
    great many similar speakers didn't.
    --

    Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
    615.385.8051 http://www.hyperback.com

    Jay Levitt wrote:

    > Just as Auratones were roughly representative of clock radios, and NS-
    > 10s of home speakers, I imagine that even as we speak, folks are adding
    > cheap mini desktop speakers to their meter bridges to approximate what
    > things are going to sound like when someone pops their CD into the PC.

    > Are there any popular choices?

    Hmmm ... a pair of JBL Control 1xtreme comes to mind. Should be around
    USD 99.95 to USD 120 pr. pair over your way.

    > Jay Levitt |

    Kind regards

    Peter Larsen

Pro Audio Speakers Audio