Sign in with
Your question

2 routers, 1 WLAN & 1 LAN respective, 1 Internet connection

Last response: in Networking
October 22, 2012 4:00:52 AM

Hello,

I have a problem. I want to have 2 networks. I want a WPA2 secured wireless network for the sole purpose of Internet access for my family & guests. I want a secure wired LAN for my home office. I do not want the two networks to talk to one another as my goal is to keep my LAN (local area network) data secure from any guests.

The Equipment I have available is:

1) Actiontec MI424WR - supplied by verizon fios. It has a coax connection supplying the Internet feed. It supports WLAN (wireless local area network). It has a 4 port Ethernet switch and 1 WAN port( on a personal note, it's one of the most complicated router/modems I've ever seen. It has so many functions).

2) Linksys WRT310N Wireless Router. It's a version 1.0 router (there are two versions, 1.0 & 2.0 -- it'll say V1 or V2 underneath). My particular router was just updated to DD-WRT Version:
dd-wrt.v24_mini_generic.bin. For those of you that don't know, DD-WRT is a suite of firmware updates available that significantly increases the functionality and overclockabilty of wireless routers. I did my homework before upgrading as you should too. It is possible to turn your router into a brick if done wrong.

3) Desktop PC

4) Desktop PC

5) NAS (Network Area Storage Device))

So, what's the best way to do this using the equipment available?

Thanks to all & a special THANKS to who SOLVES this problem'O'mine!

a b X LAN
October 22, 2012 9:36:54 AM

assign a static IP to the WAN side of the Linksys like 192.168.0.254, Netmask is 255.255.255.0, Gateway and DNS is 192.168.0.1

enter 192.168.0.254 into the DMZ of the Actiontec.

now you have two separate networks
m
l
October 22, 2012 3:27:10 PM

Emerald,

Thank you for the reply. You'll have to excuse my ignorance here but, can you be more specific on the entire setup as if I had 2 routers at default settings?

Question: can you explain what's going on with setting up the DMZ? Everything I've read says that a DMZ as a DNS is available to the entire Internet as a sort of a way to distract attacks away from the main network DMZ=Demilitarized Zone. A DMZ would suggest a server? I'm guessing your theory would be to make the slave router the wireless access point? But then wouldn't that make it accessible to the master router if cascades that way?

Thank you again,

-K

m
l
Related resources
a b X LAN
October 22, 2012 7:47:17 PM

placing a router into the DMZ is like connecting it to a modem directly. like having one modem and two routers.

the actiontec ip should be 192.168.0.1
the Linksys ip should be 192.168.1.1

by assigning the Linksys WAN IP of 192.168.0.254 it will allow to communicate through the actiontec.

the firewall of the Linksys will separate the two networks from being able to talk to each other.

connect the WAN port of the Linksys to a LAN port of the Actiontec
m
l
October 29, 2012 2:56:41 AM

I'm still lost. I messed around with it and got it to work but still had wifi security issues
m
l
!