That annoying monitor buz

Last response: in Home Audio
a b C Monitor
October 1, 2004 7:17:47 AM

Morning all

I have recently bought a PowerMac G5 system with Pro Tools LE/Digi 002
Rack.

I already have a set of Tannoy Monitor speakers (which work extremely
well and suite my needs well) and Behringer Euro mixer.

All of the above worked well on the XP system running Cubase without
any monitor hum.

However, once I plugged the G5 in and configured the system up,
plugged the monitors into the Monitor outs on the 002 rack, I get
massive machine interference e.g. when I move the mac mouse the
monitors pick up the movement, and theres a really annoying rhythmic
low level hiss. Even when I turn off the 002 rack, I still get
interference from the mac through the monitor speakers.

As for positioning, the Mac is under my desk (solid oak) and the
monitors are on a shelf (about head level) just above the 2 x 17" flat
panel monitor screens that I'm using.

I've made sure that the monitor speaker cables from the 002 to the
monitors don't cross power lines and are completely away from any
power sources or transformers.

The power for the speakers is also isolated away from the Mac power
source so as to avoid any power interference.

Do any of you guys know what else I can try? I'm really impressed
withy the Mac system config but I can't use it when theres so much hum
coming from the monitors.

All and any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

S.

More about : annoying monitor buz

October 1, 2004 5:07:46 PM

I get that too on a windows 2000 system. I call it "computer speak" and I
get it when I open and close different windows or switch between programs. I
haven't gotten to the bottom of it, but I suspect a grounding issue or a TRS
balancing problem. I will be watching this post. Sorry I couldn't help.

Doug in Tennessee

"Sean Kelsey" <sean.kelsey@moneyline.com> wrote in message
> Morning all
>
> I have recently bought a PowerMac G5 system with Pro Tools LE/Digi 002
> Rack.
>
> I already have a set of Tannoy Monitor speakers (which work extremely
> well and suite my needs well) and Behringer Euro mixer.
>
> All of the above worked well on the XP system running Cubase without
> any monitor hum.
>
> However, once I plugged the G5 in and configured the system up,
> plugged the monitors into the Monitor outs on the 002 rack, I get
> massive machine interference e.g. when I move the mac mouse the
> monitors pick up the movement, and theres a really annoying rhythmic
> low level hiss. Even when I turn off the 002 rack, I still get
> interference from the mac through the monitor speakers.
>
> As for positioning, the Mac is under my desk (solid oak) and the
> monitors are on a shelf (about head level) just above the 2 x 17" flat
> panel monitor screens that I'm using.
>
> I've made sure that the monitor speaker cables from the 002 to the
> monitors don't cross power lines and are completely away from any
> power sources or transformers.
>
> The power for the speakers is also isolated away from the Mac power
> source so as to avoid any power interference.
>
> Do any of you guys know what else I can try? I'm really impressed
> withy the Mac system config but I can't use it when theres so much hum
> coming from the monitors.
>
> All and any help greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> S.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
October 1, 2004 9:37:04 PM

"Snowdog" <drisp@hotmail.com> wrote in

> I get that too on a windows 2000 system. I call it "computer speak"
> and I get it when I open and close different windows or switch between
> programs. I haven't gotten to the bottom of it, but I suspect a
> grounding issue or a TRS balancing problem. I will be watching this
> post. Sorry I couldn't help.
>

> Doug in Tennessee

I had a similar thing recently which I incorrectly assumed
was my LCD monitor.
Turned out it was a faulty video card.
Does the noise go away if you turn off the monitor?
a b C Monitor
October 2, 2004 3:24:10 PM

> I had a similar thing recently which I incorrectly assumed
> was my LCD monitor.
> Turned out it was a faulty video card.
> Does the noise go away if you turn off the monitor?

even with both TFT Flat Panel monitors off, in fact, everything apart
from the Mac and monitor speakers is off, I still get the noise. All
levels are at zero and I still get it.

Its really annoying... I've switched to using headphones for the
recording and mixing and only when I'm happy do i put it through the
monitors.

The noise is like a rhythmic (every second) high pitched bleeping
noise which can just be heard. Its obviously something to do with the
Mac as I don't get this with the XP system that I have.

Baffled...

thanks for the posts anyway guys...
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
October 2, 2004 5:42:19 PM

You might try shielding your speaker cables. You can wrap them with
grounded aluminum foil for a quick 'helps/doesn't help'.

Frank /~ http://newmex.com/f10
@/

On 2 Oct 2004 11:24:10 -0700, sean.kelsey@moneyline.com (Sean Kelsey)
wrote:

>> I had a similar thing recently which I incorrectly assumed
>> was my LCD monitor.
>> Turned out it was a faulty video card.
>> Does the noise go away if you turn off the monitor?
>
>even with both TFT Flat Panel monitors off, in fact, everything apart
>from the Mac and monitor speakers is off, I still get the noise. All
>levels are at zero and I still get it.
>
>Its really annoying... I've switched to using headphones for the
>recording and mixing and only when I'm happy do i put it through the
>monitors.
>
>The noise is like a rhythmic (every second) high pitched bleeping
>noise which can just be heard. Its obviously something to do with the
>Mac as I don't get this with the XP system that I have.
>
>Baffled...
>
>thanks for the posts anyway guys...
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
October 2, 2004 5:42:20 PM

Frank Vuotto wrote:
> You might try shielding your speaker cables. You can wrap them with
> grounded aluminum foil for a quick 'helps/doesn't help'.

Excellent idea, and it may be good to point out here that an ungrounded
shield is no shield at all.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
October 3, 2004 2:46:16 AM

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 13:27:42 -0700, S O'Neill <nopsam@nospam.net>
wrote:

>it may be good to point out here that an ungrounded
>shield is no shield at all.

It's also worth mentioning that short speaker runs are less
susceptible to noise pickup. (I'm always surprised to find a studio
with 20 feet of extra speaker cable in a coil on the floor.

Frank /~ http://newmex.com/f10
@/
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
October 3, 2004 5:56:56 PM

"Sean Kelsey" <sean.kelsey@moneyline.com> wrote in message
> Morning all
>
> I have recently bought a PowerMac G5 system with Pro Tools LE/Digi 002
> Rack.
>
> I already have a set of Tannoy Monitor speakers (which work extremely
> well and suite my needs well) and Behringer Euro mixer.
>
> All of the above worked well on the XP system running Cubase without
> any monitor hum.
>
> However, once I plugged the G5 in and configured the system up,
> plugged the monitors into the Monitor outs on the 002 rack, I get
> massive machine interference e.g. when I move the mac mouse the
> monitors pick up the movement, and theres a really annoying rhythmic
> low level hiss. Even when I turn off the 002 rack, I still get
> interference from the mac through the monitor speakers.
>
> As for positioning, the Mac is under my desk (solid oak) and the
> monitors are on a shelf (about head level) just above the 2 x 17" flat
> panel monitor screens that I'm using.
>
> I've made sure that the monitor speaker cables from the 002 to the
> monitors don't cross power lines and are completely away from any
> power sources or transformers.
>
> The power for the speakers is also isolated away from the Mac power
> source so as to avoid any power interference.
>
> Do any of you guys know what else I can try? I'm really impressed
> withy the Mac system config but I can't use it when theres so much hum
> coming from the monitors.
>
> All and any help greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> S.

This might be a long shot, but the 002 R is firewire, and I recall an issue
with G5 power supplies causing interference with firewire audio devices.

might be worth looking into.....

good luck!

Geoff

---
a b C Monitor
October 4, 2004 4:27:54 PM

Hi Geoff,
a few things to try-
Check the volumes on the Genelecs- they might be better turned down a
bit. Most monitor systems do not run the amps at max. We have
1031A's, and run the trims at -2dB to match the other monitors, whose
Bryston amps are set to between 50 and 80% full volume.
Grounding and proximity noises can be checked this way: with
everything powered, but only the 002 connected to the Genelecs, is the
noise there?
Connect the mixer to the 002, check for noise. If there is a
proximity problem, the noise will be there even though the Mac is not
connected. Finally connect the Mac. If the problem is not proximity,
then removing the AC ground from a combination of the Mac, mixer,
and/or 002 should get rid of it. The 002 monitor outs are balanced,
so the pin 1 shields could be lifted at the Genelecs.
Monitors are the toughhest part of the chain to de-buzz, but you will
find it.
Mike
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
October 4, 2004 4:38:20 PM

> This might be a long shot, but the 002 R is firewire, and I recall an issue
> with G5 power supplies causing interference with firewire audio devices.
>
> might be worth looking into.....
>

> good luck!
>
> Geoff
>

> ---

Wow...

Top banana... I changed the Firewire connection to the one in the
front of the machine and hey-presto, the buz has gone away!!

Many thanks to yuo guys... its been baffling me for ages.

Thanks :o )

Big smiles all round.
!