Sign in with
Your question

Cat 6

Last response: in Networking
October 22, 2012 6:28:04 AM

Hello,
Someone at my firm told me that, a particular colour coding of cat 6 cable will help increase the limit of the cable length. I went through books and forums, dint find anything, is this true? and if so wat coding?

More about : cat

October 22, 2012 11:58:12 AM

Go back and laugh at him.

Cat 6 and cat 5e both will go 100m at gig ethernet speed. There is some specialized equipment that can use the same wire to go more distance at a slower speed but it is not running ethernet.

The color of the plastic means nothing to speed. If you were to buy a large cable with 50 pair there are many more than the standard 4 color pairs.

Now that is not to say you can't wire it incorrectly and DECREASE the distance, you mix the leads of the pairs up and you can easily get a cable that does not work.
m
l
October 22, 2012 3:23:25 PM

Tell your work person that if he colors his car yellow he'll all 30 miles to his top speed.

The only thing that matters with cable color is if a company standardizes on something. For example, they'd use Black cables for a printer connection on a static IP, blue cables for a computer and green for a thin client. Red is commonly used for a cross over cable. But none of that is based on any standards.
m
l
!