Sign in with
Your question

A good setup for a TIVO'ish system?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 29, 2002 7:20:46 PM

I would like to hear some opinions on a good setup to create a machine that could perform like a television recorder, basically a PC based TIVO. I am using a Geforce4 Ti4600 and would like to use a PCI video capture card in addition to my primary video card. I was considering the ATI 9700 but I can't seem to find one with a video input. Any software suggestions would be appreciated too. Thanks in advance!
Turnstylist

$240 Motherboard and CPU.
$140 Memory
$350 Video Card and Accessories
Priceless: Forgetting a Heatsink and creating a very expensive Paper Weight. :tongue:
September 29, 2002 11:23:39 PM

Use an input card, several companies make them. Hauppauge makes serveral models with various features, ATI has the TV-Wonder, Creative has the Digital VCR, Visiontek makes one...The best of these have a hardware MPEG2 encoders.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
September 30, 2002 5:49:10 PM

Thanx for the input on the video cards. Are there and software packages that perform like a tivo, or is that out of the question? Surely someone has made something, considering most tivos and replays are really just dumbed down pcs.

$240 Motherboard and CPU.
$140 Memory
$350 Video Card and Accessories
Priceless: Forgetting a Heatsink and creating a very expensive Paper Weight. :tongue:
Related resources
September 30, 2002 6:19:21 PM

Keep in mind if you use a cable/Sat box to change channels you will not be able to have the PC change channels for you. So you don't get the great "set it and forget it" that Replay and TIVO offer. Wish someone did make a TV card that could.
September 30, 2002 8:59:11 PM

You'll really have to look them over carefully. They all offer some kind of "VCR" feature similar to TiVO, but the best units will have higher quality. I really recommend you look for the hardware MPG2 encoder versions.

Oh, one other thing-you'll need an NTFS partition to store the large files produced (assuming you're using Windows).

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
!