XP and 98 dual boot question...

divefraggle

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2002
I currently did a clean install of Windows XP using NTFS. Now, I want to partition part of my hard drive for Windows 98. Can I do this, even though I have Windows XP on my hard drive in NTFS? Moreover, can I partition it using dos and not a special program?

I have a 30GB Seagate Baracuda II 7200RPM.
Thanks in advance.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You did it in wrong order if you want to use DOS programs (FDisk and Format). You should have installed Win 98 first, and loaded Win XP after.
Now you have to use special program such as PowerQuest Partition Magic to partition your HD.
There is one thing to remember if you're installing Win98 after WinXP presented in your comp that you have to repair your Win XP's bootloader (that needed to boot into XP) by using WinXP CD because Win98 system will destroy it when it's being installed.
My suggestion
Backup your WinXP by using program as PowerQuest Drive Image or Norton Ghost if you don't want to reinstall WinXP (but you will need a second hard disk or CD burner). Install Win98 first, and then WinXP.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

Scotty35

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2002
Yes as he said above.
W98 cannot see a NTFS partition without expensive 3rd party software which the name eludes me right now. Another thing is do not run a W98 installed program from within XP and vice versa, this will certainly require you to re-instal. :wink: whatever.

<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/index.php" target="_new">A better place to be</A> :wink:

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
partition with a 3rd party program such as partition magic, make your c: fat32
install 98
boot from xp cd and go to console, type fixboot, should sort it fo ya

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?