Create a USB bootable of Windows7 with Windows XP

I'm helping a fellow I met on the forums with his build, and I'm running into a snag. He has limited knowledge of computers, and due to the fact that obviously we are in different geographical locations the support I can offer is limited. He has a Windows7 iso file downloaded from MS Academic Alliance, the problem he has no other computers in the house that have anything but Windows XP 32 bit. Every time he uses the Windows7 USB/DVD download tool it lets him go thru the process, but at the end it gives an error message bout a missing bootsect file. The USB created on Windows XP will not install the OS on the new computer (which did successfully POST to his credit). I've googled around trying to find a simple solution to this problem, and I'm coming up empty

Yes, I know there are ways to drop a bootsect file into the system file.. but what I'm looking for is a no complicated BS solution, such as a iso creation tool thats free that will not have this same problem as the Windows 7 Download tool..

BTW, its an outrage that microsoft would make something so complicated.. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Solution
He needs to "extract" the files from the *.iso to somewhere.

If he can't burn a DVD (DVD due to the size of the *.iso), I think he can extract them to a folder on his hard drive. I think you need a DVD burning tool to do this.

Then follow this guide, modifying it as to wherever he puts the files from the *.iso. (i.e. instead of being on the D drive, being the ODD, it'll be in c:WIndows 7 iso)

Kevin's Blog

Or this one with pictures: Install Windows 7 from USB

Any more than that, let us know. (I think I know which post you are talking about.)

There is a link of the 2nd one I gave for a tool from Microsoft to do this all: How to Create Bootable Windows... I don't think it can get much easier than that.
He needs to "extract" the files from the *.iso to somewhere.

If he can't burn a DVD (DVD due to the size of the *.iso), I think he can extract them to a folder on his hard drive. I think you need a DVD burning tool to do this.

Then follow this guide, modifying it as to wherever he puts the files from the *.iso. (i.e. instead of being on the D drive, being the ODD, it'll be in c:WIndows 7 iso)

Kevin's Blog

Or this one with pictures: Install Windows 7 from USB

Any more than that, let us know. (I think I know which post you are talking about.)

There is a link of the 2nd one I gave for a tool from Microsoft to do this all: How to Create Bootable Windows... I don't think it can get much easier than that.

Solution
I understand what you're saying with that.. I know about this file, I use it myself, the problem is.. it absolutely does not work on Windows XP. It will copy all the files but gives an error message at the end saying it is unable to make the flash drive bootable due to a missing bootsect.exe file.

I thank you for trying, yes I'm aware of the other steps by using the command prompt, like I said, the person I'm helping has limited computer knowledge, so I'm looking for a simple process like the Windows7 USB/DVD download tool that actually will work on 32 bit XP.

I know I could go in and do it through the command line interface myself. Again, I'm relaying everything to a guy 2nd hand, which adds to the difficulty.

I agree.
If the person has limited computer knowledge, why on earth would he be messing around with a USB installation unless he has no DVD drive?

I agree with the above:
1) download and install imgburn (unless he has a program that burns ISO images. Many do like Nero, CDBurnerXP, Burnaware)

2) burn the IMAGE (note: if the ISO Image he has already has an ICON with it associated with his burning software he may be able to simply double-click it to start the process)

3) boot to the DVD and install Windows (DVD+R or DVD-R should work)

*The CD/DVD drive must be set PRIOR to the hard drive in the boot order in the BIOS if the hard drive contains anything bootable (like Windows).

**Also, he may wish to FORMAT the hard drive he's installing Windows to to avoid copying over data into the OLD:C folder. I recommend this tool:
www.ultimatebootcd.com

xoxo123456

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
run x:\boot\bootsect.exe /nt60 y:
x is the path of win7 install cd.y is the path of USB
and copy all file of win7 cd to USB.is done
now you can boot win7 with USB and install.

sheraz akbar

Honorable
May 28, 2013

nelmargarpia

Honorable
Dec 14, 2013

nelmargarpia

Honorable
Dec 14, 2013
how to make easy way......no burning and downloading need..... please help to resolve this problem..
cause my unit only netbook and i don't have any external device to create burning or etc..
thank you...

tanveer imran

Reputable
Feb 28, 2014