bbrener

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2002
I have seen much information on RAID motherboards, but not to answer the question I have. I do not wish to use RAID. However, I need 5 IDE drives (3 HD and CDR and CDRW).
Does a raid motherboard allow the connection of 5 IDE drives in a non raid configuration? I currently use a promise add in card to achieve this, but it has drawbacks with Drive Image and Partition Magic.

Brian

You should have no problem with this. Assuming it's an HPT37x controller, you will have to set up the drives in the menu, but not create a RAID array.

Once you have Windows installed, install the HPT370 drivers for your ATA100 support.

Use the standard IDE 1 and 2 for the CD drives and put them both on master. Put two of your three drives on to the IDEs 3 & 4 as master. Then it's up to you to decide where to put the 3rd HDD. If I suggest you make sure your OS goes on the drive on master IDE 3, and the 3rd drive is slaved to IDE 4.

<b><font color=blue>~ <A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/index.php" target="_new">Anyone looked in here yet?</A> ~<font color=blue></b> :wink:

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
my other board had a jumper to use the raid or use it as ata100, also bios had a choice for the same thing. You can read most if not all motherboard manuals on-line so start reading before buying. ;)

<font color=red>Got a silent setup, now I can hear myself thinking.... great silence</font color=red>