need DAT/PC interface recommendations

Last response: in Home Audio
October 2, 2004 9:37:18 AM

I need to digitally transfer several analog and digital
recordings to and from a laptop. I'm looking for a box
(something akin to an external sound card) that has as many of
these features as possible:

SPDIF in
SPDIF out
usb or firewire in
usb or firewire out
analog audio in

I need to be able to go from DAT to the PC, or from a tape deck
to the PC, and from the PC to DAT. If it's possible to get
something with more than 2 analog inputs, that would be a big
plus; I'd consider an interface with 8 channels in (and ADAT out,
for going to another recorder) if I could also use it to get to
and from the DAT deck via SPDIF. Rack mount isn't necessary, but
would be cool. Wall wart power is a BIG negative. I use Adobe
Audition on the laptop, but I assume that any box I buy will come
with the appropriate software/drivers. I'm running Win XP, if
that makes any difference.

Anybody have something they'd recommend? Or perhaps somebody has
something they'd recommend avoiding? Thanks in advance.

Fred
Anonymous
October 2, 2004 4:46:40 PM

In article <56c69f5b.0410020437.7a423561@posting.google.com> audiowannabe@hotmail.com writes:

> I need to digitally transfer several analog and digital
> recordings to and from a laptop. I'm looking for a box
> (something akin to an external sound card) that has as many of
> these features as possible:
>
> SPDIF in
> SPDIF out
> usb or firewire in
> usb or firewire out
> analog audio in

> plus; I'd consider an interface with 8 channels in (and ADAT out,
> for going to another recorder) if I could also use it to get to
> and from the DAT deck via SPDIF.

Go to a music store that has a recording department, even Guitar
Center. There are so many of these available that you really need to
narrow your choice down. This product category is just like Alice's
Restaurant - you can get anything you want. All you need to do is
decide what you want and how much you're willing to pay for it.

> Anybody have something they'd recommend? Or perhaps somebody has
> something they'd recommend avoiding? Thanks in advance.

Buy something brand new, not something a few years old that looks like
a bargain. Otherwise there will be issues with drivers, and there may
be compatibilty issues with the USB device in your computer. Also,
every generation's A/D and D/A converters get better, though
manufacturers still continue to surround them with mediocre analog
circuitry and power supplies so you may not get the full advantage of
the technology improvements.

October 3, 2004 7:54:16 AM

"FredbobJackson" <audiowannabe@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I need to digitally transfer several analog and digital
> recordings to and from a laptop. I'm looking for a box
> (something akin to an external sound card) that has as many of
> these features as possible:
>
> SPDIF in
> SPDIF out
> usb or firewire in
> usb or firewire out
> analog audio in
>
> I need to be able to go from DAT to the PC, or from a tape deck
> to the PC, and from the PC to DAT. If it's possible to get
> something with more than 2 analog inputs, that would be a big
> plus; I'd consider an interface with 8 channels in (and ADAT out,
> for going to another recorder) if I could also use it to get to
> and from the DAT deck via SPDIF. Rack mount isn't necessary, but
> would be cool. Wall wart power is a BIG negative. I use Adobe
> Audition on the laptop, but I assume that any box I buy will come
> with the appropriate software/drivers. I'm running Win XP, if
> that makes any difference.

Try these:

http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/828/body.html/en

http://www.rme-audio.com/english/adi/adi8.htm

http://digidesign.com/ click on Products, then Pro Tools LE systems,
then Hardware, and look for the DIGI002R.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)
Anonymous
October 3, 2004 5:31:30 PM

FredbobJackson wrote:
> I need to digitally transfer several analog and digital
> recordings to and from a laptop. I'm looking for a box
> (something akin to an external sound card) that has as many of
> these features as possible:
>
> SPDIF in
> SPDIF out
> usb or firewire in
> usb or firewire out
> analog audio in

Do you want/need to preserve markers on the DAT tapes? That limits your choices significantly.

> I need to be able to go from DAT to the PC, or from a tape deck
> to the PC, and from the PC to DAT. If it's possible to get
> something with more than 2 analog inputs, that would be a big
> plus; I'd consider an interface with 8 channels in (and ADAT out,
> for going to another recorder) if I could also use it to get to
> and from the DAT deck via SPDIF. Rack mount isn't necessary, but
> would be cool.

RME comes to mind for laptop use. Both FireWire and PCMCIA options are available.

> Wall wart power is a BIG negative.

If you want 8 channels of analog with a laptop, you're going to need an external power supply to feed your interface. Many of them are wart-like. The RME gear will take a wide range of external DC voltages and ships with a laptop-like line lump. Beware of boxes that have AC wallwarts--most will NOT run on batteries without an inverter.
!