Sign in with
Your question

Internet speed

Last response: in Networking
October 23, 2012 12:00:58 AM

Hi please tell me if this is good speed for streaming for net flix webcam on skype etc to see in high def. Here is a screen shot from speedtest.net of my speeds it got back. Lately I had terrible speeds over the weekend talked to someone at Comcast and she said speed was great no problem? But now it is confusing was there possibly a server overload on there part over the weekend and such? Plus my model was going in and out like crazy over the weekend as well? And this a new modem I bought at least a month or two ago i got. But speeds seem to be fine now. But for instance I was watching a movie on amazon and it would say connection from high, to medium, and then it was at low for all of the movie? So i am hoping it does not do that again.

25 ping ms download speed 25.35 mbps upload speed 4.17 mbps

More about : internet speed

October 23, 2012 3:14:49 PM

Those speeds are fine, although the ping is a bit high. My ping is 10ms but this is on a business line. Check your issues for a bit longer than a weekend, if it keeps happening, the ISP needs to check on things. This may be your router also, try rebooting that and check for a firmware upgrade also.
m
l
October 25, 2012 11:05:35 AM

it is strange did a speedtest again and the ping was 21 so it went down a little. I have the comcast performance internet speed and i guess that is the speed it goes to i guess. but I have been thinking of upgrading it to more speed what is your thought? What would 40-50 download speed be like if it went to that?
m
l
Related resources
October 25, 2012 12:21:50 PM

Speedtests to the speedtest sites are just that. It shows you the performance to that location only. Only if it is very bad can you infer that it will have a effect on your performance to other locations.

You most likely only need 4-5m/sec and that would be running 1080p quality video. Unlike file transfers video is only fed to you as fast as your equipment can display it with a small added buffer. Buying 100m connection will make no difference over a 10m connection when you are only using 5m.

The major problem for video is that you need the bandwidth on a constant basis. Since most people are running other application that can cause large bursts of traffic you get short periods of time where that data is competing with the video and you get packet loss. Video unlike most other activities does not tolerate loss very well. Where these bottlenecks in the network that are affected by the burst can be anyplace so there is no way to fix this.

The way some cable companies make sure the video streams they use for cable tv over the same cable is to use QoS to make sure their video always gets priority. They of course do not actually want netflix,amazon etc to work well to stream video since it is competition to their video offerings.
m
l
October 25, 2012 1:03:12 PM

I think this buffer speed is good , try to remove temp files and cookies . Even browsing data .

If network speed is ok but only on your system its giving less speed you have to check network setting may be some of your web speed is get blocked .
m
l
November 4, 2012 1:35:13 AM

hi guys thanks for answering my question i will try to remove temp files and such and monitor the speeds, Thanks everyone
m
l
!