Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Looking for Free Remote Desktop application

Last response: in Windows 7
May 8, 2012 11:25:02 PM

I'm looking for a remote desktop application but can't seem to find one that's equal to TeamViewer, but free.
What I'm looking for is something that I can install on my main home PC and then run remotely from a USB flash drive, NOT the web browser! It must also be able to run behind a firewall and not require elevated permissions.
Every other remote desktop application I have found so far runs through a web browser or requires me to install its platform onto the remote PC... thankyou.
a b $ Windows 7
May 8, 2012 11:45:23 PM

Hi :) 

They HAVE to be INSTALLED on both machines....otherwise everyone would be hacking from a USB stick....

All the best Brett :) 
May 8, 2012 11:49:42 PM

Brett928S2 said:

They HAVE to be INSTALLED on both machines....otherwise everyone would be hacking from a USB stick....

TeamViewer uses a password and username system to connect, it isn't some auto instant connect boom! It requires login credentials to connect -_-
Also TV supports a portable version of their software that can be installed on a USB flash drive that runs on a platform from the USB drive. The portable console does not require any installment or elevated privileges of the computer to allow it to connect to another. (And that is what I am looking for, but in a free format!) Now the PC that you connect to with the portable software does require the program installed on it in order to make the connection.
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
May 8, 2012 11:53:18 PM

I was talking about PC`s .... and so were you in your question....

May 8, 2012 11:58:56 PM

Brett928S2 said:

I was talking about PC`s .... and so were you in your question....

/facepalm
A portable console as in a program/dashboard! Portable Program that doesn't require installment on the main PC!!! bahh forget it... You will have to try it out for yourself to know what i'm talking about...
May 9, 2012 12:16:39 AM

Team Viewer does all of that.

I'm a college student and have some of the strictest restrictions on the campus PC's.

I use TV portable and have an account to remote connect to 3 laptops and my main computer.

And TV is free.

So I don't get what you need here.

Make a TV account add whatever PC's you need to the account and boom. Instant access.
a b $ Windows 7
May 9, 2012 12:20:29 AM

USB and web browser:
If you can run things through a browser, but don't want to use the other PC's browser for some reason, why not install the free Firefox version that boots and runs from the thumb drive?
May 9, 2012 12:28:42 AM

TV does this.

Use TV portable. Extract it in a folder and run the exe. NO INSTALLATION NECESSARY.
May 9, 2012 12:31:15 AM

For a non-browser remote desktop application I use VNC. They also have an Android version if you need to access your pc from a mobile phone.
May 9, 2012 12:32:07 AM

Razec69 said:
TV does this.

Use TV portable. Extract it in a folder and run the exe. NO INSTALLATION NECESSARY.

Ok then why do I have this trial account thing? I'm only using it for personal use, yet I get a trial account popup saying I need to buy it... I thought that it was 7 days only and after that you cough up the big $$ to use it any further.

Edit: Oh are you talking about the quick support? I didn't think it allowed remote access from another computer.
May 9, 2012 12:53:53 AM

punahou1 said:
For a non-browser remote desktop application I use VNC. They also have an Android version if you need to access your pc from a mobile phone.

From what I see so far it's only for networks. My home computer isn't connected to the network I am operating from.

Best solution

May 9, 2012 1:16:21 AM

NO. Use Teamviewer portable.

Use it for personal use because that is what you are doing correct. DON'T ANSWER.

Make an account it is free. At least it was when I did it. And I haven't been asked to pay anything as of yet.

So again make an account and add any PC's you want to RC.

It's a very simple process. When you first install TV use advanced settings and go to make an account.
May 9, 2012 1:27:29 AM

Why cant it require elevated permissions or firewall ports opened?

if so stop trying to hack your work / school computers.

May 9, 2012 2:30:02 AM

Nevintsha said:
From what I see so far it's only for networks. My home computer isn't connected to the network I am operating from.

Before we switched to Teamviewer last year I ran VNC on my networked/firewalled/office pc, my home pc and on my android phone. The download was free so it wouldn't hurt to give it a try.
May 9, 2012 2:58:16 AM

HugoStiglitz said:
Why cant it require elevated permissions or firewall ports opened?

if so stop trying to hack your work / school computers.

You are horribly informed sir. If you had to deal with a fat bitch that never updated her computers so we couldn't use them for real college research then you would understand exactly why I want to be able to use my computer! (No I do not have the laptop it is currently broken and I don't have the money nor time to fix it.)
May 9, 2012 4:10:13 AM

Best answer selected by Nevintsha.
!