Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Looking for Free Remote Desktop application

Last response: in Windows 7
May 8, 2012 11:25:02 PM

I'm looking for a remote desktop application but can't seem to find one that's equal to TeamViewer, but free.
What I'm looking for is something that I can install on my main home PC and then run remotely from a USB flash drive, NOT the web browser! It must also be able to run behind a firewall and not require elevated permissions.
Every other remote desktop application I have found so far runs through a web browser or requires me to install its platform onto the remote PC... thankyou.
a b $ Windows 7
May 8, 2012 11:45:23 PM

Hi :) 

They HAVE to be INSTALLED on both machines....otherwise everyone would be hacking from a USB stick....

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
May 8, 2012 11:49:42 PM

Brett928S2 said:

They HAVE to be INSTALLED on both machines....otherwise everyone would be hacking from a USB stick....

TeamViewer uses a password and username system to connect, it isn't some auto instant connect boom! It requires login credentials to connect -_-
Also TV supports a portable version of their software that can be installed on a USB flash drive that runs on a platform from the USB drive. The portable console does not require any installment or elevated privileges of the computer to allow it to connect to another. (And that is what I am looking for, but in a free format!) Now the PC that you connect to with the portable software does require the program installed on it in order to make the connection.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
May 8, 2012 11:53:18 PM

I was talking about PC`s .... and so were you in your question....

m
l
May 8, 2012 11:58:56 PM

Brett928S2 said:

I was talking about PC`s .... and so were you in your question....

/facepalm
A portable console as in a program/dashboard! Portable Program that doesn't require installment on the main PC!!! bahh forget it... You will have to try it out for yourself to know what i'm talking about...
m
l
May 9, 2012 12:16:39 AM

Team Viewer does all of that.

I'm a college student and have some of the strictest restrictions on the campus PC's.

I use TV portable and have an account to remote connect to 3 laptops and my main computer.

And TV is free.

So I don't get what you need here.

Make a TV account add whatever PC's you need to the account and boom. Instant access.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 9, 2012 12:20:29 AM

USB and web browser:
If you can run things through a browser, but don't want to use the other PC's browser for some reason, why not install the free Firefox version that boots and runs from the thumb drive?
m
l
May 9, 2012 12:28:42 AM

TV does this.

Use TV portable. Extract it in a folder and run the exe. NO INSTALLATION NECESSARY.
m
l
May 9, 2012 12:31:15 AM

For a non-browser remote desktop application I use VNC. They also have an Android version if you need to access your pc from a mobile phone.
m
l
May 9, 2012 12:32:07 AM

Razec69 said:
TV does this.

Use TV portable. Extract it in a folder and run the exe. NO INSTALLATION NECESSARY.

Ok then why do I have this trial account thing? I'm only using it for personal use, yet I get a trial account popup saying I need to buy it... I thought that it was 7 days only and after that you cough up the big $$ to use it any further.

Edit: Oh are you talking about the quick support? I didn't think it allowed remote access from another computer.
m
l
May 9, 2012 12:53:53 AM

punahou1 said:
For a non-browser remote desktop application I use VNC. They also have an Android version if you need to access your pc from a mobile phone.

From what I see so far it's only for networks. My home computer isn't connected to the network I am operating from.
m
l

Best solution

May 9, 2012 1:16:21 AM

NO. Use Teamviewer portable.

Use it for personal use because that is what you are doing correct. DON'T ANSWER.

Make an account it is free. At least it was when I did it. And I haven't been asked to pay anything as of yet.

So again make an account and add any PC's you want to RC.

It's a very simple process. When you first install TV use advanced settings and go to make an account.
May 9, 2012 1:27:29 AM

Why cant it require elevated permissions or firewall ports opened?

if so stop trying to hack your work / school computers.

m
l
May 9, 2012 2:30:02 AM

Nevintsha said:
From what I see so far it's only for networks. My home computer isn't connected to the network I am operating from.

Before we switched to Teamviewer last year I ran VNC on my networked/firewalled/office pc, my home pc and on my android phone. The download was free so it wouldn't hurt to give it a try.
m
l
May 9, 2012 2:58:16 AM

HugoStiglitz said:
Why cant it require elevated permissions or firewall ports opened?

if so stop trying to hack your work / school computers.

You are horribly informed sir. If you had to deal with a fat bitch that never updated her computers so we couldn't use them for real college research then you would understand exactly why I want to be able to use my computer! (No I do not have the laptop it is currently broken and I don't have the money nor time to fix it.)
m
l
May 9, 2012 4:10:13 AM

Best answer selected by Nevintsha.
m
l
!