V400 faceplate?

Hi all. I had the V300 through T-Mobile but the coverage/reception
was not great in my area so I'm sadly returning it. I LOVED that
rubbery blue on the outside. Really kept the phone from slipping out
of hands/purse/pocket etc. I'm trying the V400 through cingular now
but I really liked that rubbery blue stuff! I was told in Cingular
today that the V400 didn't have the ability to change the faceplate or
anything but when I was searching for a leather cover on ebay I
noticed someone there selling colored chrome faceplates for the
V400/V500/V525.

Is this something that can actually be changed or is this a gimick?

Also, Can I take the SIM card out of my T-mobile V300 and put it into
my Cingular V400? Obvioulsy I don't have the phone yet or I'd just
try it myself. I'm guessing that I can't because of the different
cellular companies?

Jen
3 answers Last reply
More about v400 faceplate

    I can answer the second question. Phone may need to be unlocked first as it
    is a Cingular phone. But yes, the SIM outta yer t-mo phone can be used in
    the Cingular phone. If you do the swap and power up the 400 and don't get a
    msg like "enter subsidy password" (or similar) yer good to go. If you do,
    it'll have to be unlocked. google for unlock v400 or somethin like that
    (heck an ebay search for unlocked v400 might even be better gives you prices
    and all...)

    As for the faceplate issue, I did a yahoo search and found
    this link as the first one:
    http://auctions.searchmarketing.com/v400-faceplate--15032-1-s.html (they
    link to ebay from here)

    hth

    "J" <jennospam@aasaoel.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all. I had the V300 through T-Mobile but the coverage/reception
    > was not great in my area so I'm sadly returning it. I LOVED that
    > rubbery blue on the outside. Really kept the phone from slipping out
    <snippy>

    "J" <jennospam@aasaoel.com> wrote in message

    > Is this something that can actually be changed or is this a gimick?

    Yes you can change the Faceplate, you need a torq 6 screwdriver though. All
    you do is remove the 4 silver rubber screw covers, they're only about 1mm
    thick, so use a pin and be careful, then unscrew the screws and the
    faceplate comes off. Same goes for the V300. They say it can't because
    according to Motorola it is not a feature.

    > Also, Can I take the SIM card out of my T-mobile V300 and put it into
    > my Cingular V400? Obvioulsy I don't have the phone yet or I'd just
    > try it myself. I'm guessing that I can't because of the different
    > cellular companies?
    >
    > Jen
    No, I don't think so, your V300 sim is for T-Mobile, if you put it in your
    V400 it will try to connect to the T-mobile network, your Cingular V400
    should come with its own sim card. What you can do maybe is store all your
    contacts from your V300 to your sim and then put it into your V400 and copy
    them all onto the V400, then put it your new sim, unless you have Mobile
    Phone Tools, alot easier that way.

    There are ton of information regarding the faceplates in the internet

    You would want to try www.cellphoneonly.com. They are pretty new to
    the industry but have ton of information including the faceplates.

    I hope this helped.

Motorola Product