French version of Nibiru contains StarForce

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

I made the mistake of buying the French version of Nibiru,
since there is no word on any English version being made
in the foreseeable future.

It does not say it's installing StarForce.
After installing, a window comes up that says Micro Applications
and tells you to reboot.

A-Ray Scanner and ProtectionID did not show StarForce on the CD,
only AFTER it was installed did they find it when I scanned
the game folder. They say StarForce, but not StarForce 3

I found the following hidden drivers on my Windows 2000 computer
after installing the game:

StarForce Protection Environment Driver (version 1.x)
StarForce Protection Helper Driver (version 2.x)
StarForce Protection Synchronization Driver (version 2.x)

I am not finding the following files by using Windows\Find

prodrv03
prodrv04
prohlp01
prodrv05
prosync1
prohlp02
prodrv06
sfsync01
sfhlp01

I am also not finding anything with a command window and
C:\>DIR h prodrv*.* /S
C:\>DIR h proh*.* /S
C:\>DIR h pros*.* /S

I DO find sfsync02.sys and sfhlp02.sys

Jenny100 wrote:
> I made the mistake of buying the French version of Nibiru,
> since there is no word on any English version being made
> in the foreseeable future.
>
> It does not say it's installing StarForce.
> After installing, a window comes up that says Micro Applications
> and tells you to reboot.
>
> A-Ray Scanner and ProtectionID did not show StarForce on the CD,
> only AFTER it was installed did they find it when I scanned
> the game folder. They say StarForce, but not StarForce 3
>
> I found the following hidden drivers on my Windows 2000 computer
> after installing the game:
>
> StarForce Protection Environment Driver (version 1.x)
> StarForce Protection Helper Driver (version 2.x)
> StarForce Protection Synchronization Driver (version 2.x)
>

> I am not finding the following files by using Windows\Find
>
> prodrv03
> prodrv04
> prohlp01
> prodrv05
> prosync1
> prohlp02
> prodrv06
> sfsync01
> sfhlp01
>
> I am also not finding anything with a command window and
> C:\>DIR h prodrv*.* /S
> C:\>DIR h proh*.* /S
> C:\>DIR h pros*.* /S
>

> I DO find sfsync02.sys and sfhlp02.sys

By the way, I assume the prodrv* and prosync* drivers have
been renamed for this newer "keyless" version of StarForce.
Any idea what the new names might be?

Jenny100 wrote:
> I made the mistake of buying the French version of Nibiru,
> since there is no word on any English version being made
> in the foreseeable future.
>
> It does not say it's installing StarForce.
> After installing, a window comes up that says Micro Applications
> and tells you to reboot.
>
> A-Ray Scanner and ProtectionID did not show StarForce on the CD,
> only AFTER it was installed did they find it when I scanned
> the game folder. They say StarForce, but not StarForce 3
>
> I found the following hidden drivers on my Windows 2000 computer
> after installing the game:
>
> StarForce Protection Environment Driver (version 1.x)
> StarForce Protection Helper Driver (version 2.x)
> StarForce Protection Synchronization Driver (version 2.x)
>

> I am not finding the following files by using Windows\Find
>
> prodrv03
> prodrv04
> prohlp01
> prodrv05
> prosync1
> prohlp02
> prodrv06
> sfsync01
> sfhlp01
>
> I am also not finding anything with a command window and
> C:\>DIR h prodrv*.* /S
> C:\>DIR h proh*.* /S
> C:\>DIR h pros*.* /S
>

> I DO find sfsync02.sys and sfhlp02.sys

Also found sfdrv01.sys

These 3 drivers were all found in C:\WINNT\system32\drivers
Is there another folder where StarForce drivers might be located?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Jenny100 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in news:af_ee.8552$HL2.2387
@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:

> Also found sfdrv01.sys
>
> These 3 drivers were all found in C:\WINNT\system32\drivers
> Is there another folder where StarForce drivers might be located?

They could be hidden anywhere at all. Whenever I install a game (and run
it for the first time), I make sure I track what it does by using a tool
called InCtrl5 (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,9882,00.asp).

--
Murray Peterson
Email: murray.spamtrap2@shaw.ca

Murray Peterson wrote:
> Jenny100 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in news:af_ee.8552$HL2.2387
> @newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:
>

>>Also found sfdrv01.sys
>>
>>These 3 drivers were all found in C:\WINNT\system32\drivers
>>Is there another folder where StarForce drivers might be located?
>

> They could be hidden anywhere at all. Whenever I install a game (and run
> it for the first time), I make sure I track what it does by using a tool
> called InCtrl5 (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,9882,00.asp).

Did the StarForce uninstalling utility completely clean out
everything associated with StarForce on your computer?
Or did it leave bits here and there?

Is that InCtrl5 a full version?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Jenny100 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in news:MRDfe.10960$HL2.7599
@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:

> Did the StarForce uninstalling utility completely clean out
> everything associated with StarForce on your computer?
> Or did it leave bits here and there?

It appeared to do a complete job --nothing left over that I could find.

> Is that InCtrl5 a full version?

Yes -- I don't know of any "crippled" versions.

--

Murray Peterson wrote:
> Jenny100 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in news:MRDfe.10960$HL2.7599
> @newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:
>

>>Did the StarForce uninstalling utility completely clean out
>>everything associated with StarForce on your computer?
>>Or did it leave bits here and there?
>

> It appeared to do a complete job --nothing left over that I could find.
>

>>Is that InCtrl5 a full version?
>

> Yes -- I don't know of any "crippled" versions.

Thanks for the info.