Tags:
  • Connectivity
  • WiFi
  • Wireless Networking
  • Product
Last response: in Wireless Networking
September 12, 2012 7:42:57 PM

Hello,
I need to extend my wifi from my home to my steel sided garage which is about 150' away.. What is the best way to do this ?? Should I try a Range extender or is their a better way ?? Thanks

More about : extend wifi network 150

September 12, 2012 8:58:13 PM

The fact you mentioned "steel sided" suggests you already know a potential problem; lack of signal penetration.

If you can't place the repeater in a good location (e.g., near a window w/ line of sight access to the remote AP), you may need to consider an externally mounted repeater, or even a point-to-point wireless bridge. http://www.ubnt.com/ is a good source, w/ many models at reasonable prices.

Of course, you could try consumer-grade products instead. And it’s esp. tempting given the relatively short distance. But I’d be concerned about exposing such equipment to the outdoors for very long. You’d have to find some means to protect it w/o compromising the signal.

m
l
September 15, 2012 3:36:29 PM

eibgrad said:
The fact you mentioned "steel sided" suggests you already know a potential problem; lack of signal penetration.

If you can't place the repeater in a good location (e.g., near a window w/ line of sight access to the remote AP), you may need to consider an externally mounted repeater, or even a point-to-point wireless bridge. http://www.ubnt.com/ is a good source, w/ many models at reasonable prices.

Of course, you could try consumer-grade products instead. And it’s esp. tempting given the relatively short distance. But I’d be concerned about exposing such equipment to the outdoors for very long. You’d have to find some means to protect it w/o compromising the signal.

THANKS FOR THE INFO !!!!
m
l
September 19, 2012 3:54:15 PM

zzhet said:
Hello,
I need to extend my wifi from my home to my steel sided garage which is about 150' away.. What is the best way to do this ?? Should I try a Range extender or is their a better way ?? Thanks

Thanks for the info .. I will check out those options !!!!!
m
l
!