Probs with OLD CD-ROM

_kapone_

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2002
I'm having problems getting an old CD-ROM to work in an old box I have at home (a Cyrix PR-120 on a VX(?) mobo).

I pulled the thing apart to so I could get to the harddrive (due to a badly designed case, unscrewing the HDD meant removing the mobo, which meant removing the cards) and had to disconnect the CD-ROM, which appeared to have its IDE cable plugged onto the soundcard (an SB16) where it was labelled 'creative drive'. I later put the PC back together only to have it fail to boot. I should also note that I also had the power supply die on me, and I had to replace it.

After lots of messing around I found that the PC would ONLY boot with the CD-ROM plugged into the sound card (I assumed it was put together wrong, having not seen such a configuration again). But now the CD-ROM wont read anything.

Anyone got any ideas? Please?

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
Its possible that the CDROM doesnt use ATA/ATAPI (IDE) atall. Some very old CDROM drives used some proprietary interface. I think there was two popular types in addition to ATA/ATAPI.
After lots of messing around I found that the PC would ONLY boot with the CD-ROM plugged into the sound card
Be a bit more specific here. Does the meachine boot if you disconnect the drive completely?
If the machine doesnt boot with the drive connected to the IDE controller (it thats what you mean) then the CDROM doesnt use ATA/ATAPI. Furher, this attempt may have damaged the drive!

_kapone_

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2002
The computer wouldn't boot even with the drive disconnected entirely. I have replaced the drive with one I know is ATAPI, but now video is failing to work. I _REALLY_ hope this isn't the mobo dying!