Best traditional adventure games

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Hi !

I am making a list of best traditional games - that I have played and
those I wanna play . Please add on the list as I am more or less a
newbie but already hardcore adventure ( non twitchy / non reflexive /
non aracade / non action ) games.

The games are just randomly mentioned and not in order of merit .

1 - MI 1
2 - MI 2
3 - MI 3
4- LSL 1
5- LSL 6
6- LSL 7
8 - MM
9 - DOTT
10 - DW1
11 - DW 2
12 - DW Noir
13 - Sam /Max
14 - Simon 1
15 - Simon 2
16 - Zak
17 - Indy - atlantis
8 answers Last reply
More about best traditional adventure games
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    Myst and similar games are deifinitely a no-no for me .

    For a person who actually rediscovered adventure games and at an age
    where computer games are not played ( i am very very very old ) , I do
    not want to experiment with myst or "action/adventure " or RPG games.

    I welcome your othre suggestions.

    Grim and Sanitarium are perhaps "modern" adventure games with a little
    bit of 3D and dazzling graphics etc. As long as GAMEPLAY and PUZZLES
    are outstanding , I actually dont give a damn about razzle dazzle .

    I have not played Grim , but trying hard to get my hands on them .
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    technolala wrote:
    > Hi !
    >
    > I am making a list of best traditional games - that I have played and
    > those I wanna play . Please add on the list as I am more or less a
    > newbie but already hardcore adventure ( non twitchy / non reflexive /
    > non aracade / non action ) games.
    >
    > The games are just randomly mentioned and not in order of merit .
    >
    > 1 - MI 1
    > 2 - MI 2
    > 3 - MI 3
    > 4- LSL 1
    > 5- LSL 6
    > 6- LSL 7
    > 8 - MM
    > 9 - DOTT
    > 10 - DW1
    > 11 - DW 2
    > 12 - DW Noir
    > 13 - Sam /Max
    > 14 - Simon 1
    > 15 - Simon 2
    > 16 - Zak
    > 17 - Indy - atlantis

    All those you've listed are 3rd person cartoony games.
    Is that mainly what you're after? Are you not wanting
    suggestions along the lines of Myst, Riven, Obsidian
    Zork Nemesis, Zork Grand Inquisitor, Timelapse,
    Legacy of Time, Schizm 1+2, Morpheus, etc.?

    If you're mainly interested in 3rd person cartoony games,
    The Dig
    Beneath a Steel Sky
    Broken Sword 1 and 2
    Runaway
    Inherit the Earth
    King's Quest VI

    maybe Gilbert Goodmate and Tony Tough

    You didn't mention Grim Fandango, so are you looking
    for mouse control rather than keyboard control?

    Sanitarium isn't cartoony, but it is a great game in
    nearly everything except the voice of the main character.
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    technolala wrote:

    > I am making a list of best traditional games - that I have played and
    > those I wanna play . Please add on the list as I am more or less a
    > newbie but already hardcore adventure ( non twitchy / non reflexive /
    > non aracade / non action ) games.

    Deadline
    Witness
    Suspect
    Ballyhoo
    Moonmist
    Zork I - III
    Zork Zero
    Beyond Zork
    Enchanter
    Sorcerer
    Spellbreaker
    Spellbreaker,
    Infidel
    Lurking Horror
    Planetfall
    Stationfall
    Starcross
    Suspended
    The Hitchhikers´s Guide to the Galaxy.
    Border Zone
    Bureaucracy
    Cutthroats
    Hollywood Hijinx
    Seastalker
    Sherlock: The Riddle of the Crown Jewels,
    Plundered Hearts
    Trinity
    Wishbringer
    Nord and Bert couldn´t make Head or Tail of it
    A Mind forever Voyaging
    Wonderland
    Corruption
    Guild of thieves
    Jinxter
    The pawn

    > The games are just randomly mentioned and not in order of merit .
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    Full throttle is an HONOURABLE mention . Pity , it is impossible to get
    it now .
    Being late into the genre I have access only to games hosted by
    Underdogs or Abandonia .

    It will be a real treat to play it .
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    Op Mon, 09 May 2005 20:02:27 +0200 schreef Manfred Ginger
    <manging@sofortstart.de>:

    >technolala wrote:
    >
    >> I am making a list of best traditional games - that I have played and
    >> those I wanna play . Please add on the list as I am more or less a
    >> newbie but already hardcore adventure ( non twitchy / non reflexive /
    >> non aracade / non action ) games.

    >Deadline
    >Witness
    >Suspect
    >Ballyhoo
    >Moonmist
    >Zork I - III
    >Zork Zero
    >Beyond Zork
    >Enchanter
    >Sorcerer
    >Spellbreaker
    >Spellbreaker,
    >Infidel
    >Lurking Horror
    >Planetfall
    >Stationfall
    >Starcross
    >Suspended
    >The Hitchhikers´s Guide to the Galaxy.
    >Border Zone
    >Bureaucracy
    >Cutthroats
    >Hollywood Hijinx
    >Seastalker
    >Sherlock: The Riddle of the Crown Jewels,
    >Plundered Hearts
    >Trinity
    >Wishbringer
    >Nord and Bert couldn´t make Head or Tail of it
    >A Mind forever Voyaging

    Gee, what have The Leather Goddesses of Phobos, Arthur, Journey and
    Shogun done that they don't deserve to be mentioned?

    >Wonderland
    >Corruption
    >Guild of thieves
    >Jinxter
    >The pawn

    Are you punishing Fish! and Myth as well?
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    > Full throttle is an HONOURABLE mention . Pity , it is impossible to get
    > it now .

    Really? I understood that LucasArts had (within the last year to so)
    re-released a whole bunch of games for a ludicrous tenner, at least in
    the UK.

    > Being late into the genre I have access only to games hosted by
    > Underdogs or Abandonia .
    >
    > It will be a real treat to play it .

    CK
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    CK wrote:
    >> Full throttle is an HONOURABLE mention . Pity , it is impossible to get
    >> it now .
    >

    > Really? I understood that LucasArts had (within the last year to so)
    > re-released a whole bunch of games for a ludicrous tenner, at least in
    > the UK.

    That's only in the UK.
    In the US the games are no longer available, except used
    or possibly a few odd shops still have old stock. The Lucasarts
    online store used to be the last place you could get them new, but now
    the oldest non-Star Wars thing they still sell is MI3.
    http://www.lucasarts.com/companystore/windows/classics.htm
  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    The Longest Journey

PC gaming Games IBM Video Games