Best traditional adventure games

Last response: in Video Games
May 9, 2005 1:18:53 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Hi !

I am making a list of best traditional games - that I have played and
those I wanna play . Please add on the list as I am more or less a
newbie but already hardcore adventure ( non twitchy / non reflexive /
non aracade / non action ) games.

The games are just randomly mentioned and not in order of merit .

1 - MI 1
2 - MI 2
3 - MI 3
4- LSL 1
5- LSL 6
6- LSL 7
8 - MM
9 - DOTT
10 - DW1
11 - DW 2
12 - DW Noir
13 - Sam /Max
14 - Simon 1
15 - Simon 2
16 - Zak
17 - Indy - atlantis
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 4:47:25 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Myst and similar games are deifinitely a no-no for me .

For a person who actually rediscovered adventure games and at an age
where computer games are not played ( i am very very very old ) , I do
not want to experiment with myst or "action/adventure " or RPG games.

I welcome your othre suggestions.

Grim and Sanitarium are perhaps "modern" adventure games with a little
bit of 3D and dazzling graphics etc. As long as GAMEPLAY and PUZZLES
are outstanding , I actually dont give a damn about razzle dazzle .

I have not played Grim , but trying hard to get my hands on them .
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 11:13:47 AM

technolala wrote:
> Hi !
>
> I am making a list of best traditional games - that I have played and
> those I wanna play . Please add on the list as I am more or less a
> newbie but already hardcore adventure ( non twitchy / non reflexive /
> non aracade / non action ) games.
>
> The games are just randomly mentioned and not in order of merit .
>
> 1 - MI 1
> 2 - MI 2
> 3 - MI 3
> 4- LSL 1
> 5- LSL 6
> 6- LSL 7
> 8 - MM
> 9 - DOTT
> 10 - DW1
> 11 - DW 2
> 12 - DW Noir
> 13 - Sam /Max
> 14 - Simon 1
> 15 - Simon 2
> 16 - Zak
> 17 - Indy - atlantis

All those you've listed are 3rd person cartoony games.
Is that mainly what you're after? Are you not wanting
suggestions along the lines of Myst, Riven, Obsidian
Zork Nemesis, Zork Grand Inquisitor, Timelapse,
Legacy of Time, Schizm 1+2, Morpheus, etc.?

If you're mainly interested in 3rd person cartoony games,
The Dig
Beneath a Steel Sky
Broken Sword 1 and 2
Runaway
Inherit the Earth
King's Quest VI

maybe Gilbert Goodmate and Tony Tough

You didn't mention Grim Fandango, so are you looking
for mouse control rather than keyboard control?

Sanitarium isn't cartoony, but it is a great game in
nearly everything except the voice of the main character.
May 10, 2005 12:02:27 AM

technolala wrote:

> I am making a list of best traditional games - that I have played and
> those I wanna play . Please add on the list as I am more or less a
> newbie but already hardcore adventure ( non twitchy / non reflexive /
> non aracade / non action ) games.

Deadline
Witness
Suspect
Ballyhoo
Moonmist
Zork I - III
Zork Zero
Beyond Zork
Enchanter
Sorcerer
Spellbreaker
Spellbreaker,
Infidel
Lurking Horror
Planetfall
Stationfall
Starcross
Suspended
The Hitchhikers´s Guide to the Galaxy.
Border Zone
Bureaucracy
Cutthroats
Hollywood Hijinx
Seastalker
Sherlock: The Riddle of the Crown Jewels,
Plundered Hearts
Trinity
Wishbringer
Nord and Bert couldn´t make Head or Tail of it
A Mind forever Voyaging
Wonderland
Corruption
Guild of thieves
Jinxter
The pawn

> The games are just randomly mentioned and not in order of merit .
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 12:47:28 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Full throttle is an HONOURABLE mention . Pity , it is impossible to get
it now .
Being late into the genre I have access only to games hosted by
Underdogs or Abandonia .

It will be a real treat to play it .
May 10, 2005 6:23:25 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Op Mon, 09 May 2005 20:02:27 +0200 schreef Manfred Ginger
<manging@sofortstart.de>:

>technolala wrote:
>
>> I am making a list of best traditional games - that I have played and
>> those I wanna play . Please add on the list as I am more or less a
>> newbie but already hardcore adventure ( non twitchy / non reflexive /
>> non aracade / non action ) games.

>Deadline
>Witness
>Suspect
>Ballyhoo
>Moonmist
>Zork I - III
>Zork Zero
>Beyond Zork
>Enchanter
>Sorcerer
>Spellbreaker
>Spellbreaker,
>Infidel
>Lurking Horror
>Planetfall
>Stationfall
>Starcross
>Suspended
>The Hitchhikers´s Guide to the Galaxy.
>Border Zone
>Bureaucracy
>Cutthroats
>Hollywood Hijinx
>Seastalker
>Sherlock: The Riddle of the Crown Jewels,
>Plundered Hearts
>Trinity
>Wishbringer
>Nord and Bert couldn´t make Head or Tail of it
>A Mind forever Voyaging

Gee, what have The Leather Goddesses of Phobos, Arthur, Journey and
Shogun done that they don't deserve to be mentioned?

>Wonderland
>Corruption
>Guild of thieves
>Jinxter
>The pawn

Are you punishing Fish! and Myth as well?
May 11, 2005 5:52:02 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

> Full throttle is an HONOURABLE mention . Pity , it is impossible to get
> it now .

Really? I understood that LucasArts had (within the last year to so)
re-released a whole bunch of games for a ludicrous tenner, at least in
the UK.

> Being late into the genre I have access only to games hosted by
> Underdogs or Abandonia .
>
> It will be a real treat to play it .

CK
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 11:25:22 AM

CK wrote:
>> Full throttle is an HONOURABLE mention . Pity , it is impossible to get
>> it now .
>

> Really? I understood that LucasArts had (within the last year to so)
> re-released a whole bunch of games for a ludicrous tenner, at least in
> the UK.

That's only in the UK.
In the US the games are no longer available, except used
or possibly a few odd shops still have old stock. The Lucasarts
online store used to be the last place you could get them new, but now
the oldest non-Star Wars thing they still sell is MI3.
http://www.lucasarts.com/companystore/windows/classics....
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 6:18:59 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

The Longest Journey
!