Unallocated space between partitions

payam_ir

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012
Hi
I installed Windows 7 . during installation I made one partition (70 GB) out of all the unallocated space and left other as an unallocated space
I installed Windows then in disk management I couldn't make extended partition. Windows only allow me to made two more primary partitions.
So I used MiniTool Partition Wizard to make partitions.
But when I made an extended partition with three logical in it I saw two unallocated space (2 MB) after and before the extended partition.
Is it usual?

I have another question?
Which of the processes is better?

1) during installation in the window of where do you want to install Windows (Drive option (advanced)) I make one partition out of unallocated space (for example 70GB) for installing OS and left other space as an unallocated space and after installation I make my partitions in disk management or with MiniTool Partition Wizard

Or

2) during installation in the window of where do you want to install Windows (Drive option (advanced)) I make one partition from all of the unallocated space (all of the disk space) for installing OS and after installation I shrink it and make my partitions.

mathew7

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
The 2MB of unallocated space is because MiniTool creates the partitions at cylinder boundaries using CHS geometry (a big HDD will appear with 256 heads and 63 sectors=7.875MB/cylinder), while Windows since Vista uses 1MB granularity. So after your original partition, it used the 1st 7.875MB multiple, while the end of the extended partition is the last 7.87 multiple. Hence the presence of unallocated space (which windows would have used it).