Recommended adventure games

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

I am looking for some good new(ish) adventure games and wondered if anybody
could point me in the right direction.
I prefer games that have (some) humour and good stories/characters and I am
a big fan of the old classics such as Monkey Island 1, 2 & 3 (not so much
4), Broken Sword 1 & 2 (not so much 3), Beneath a Steel Sky and Sam & Max
etc
I have just ordered Still Life and Runaway: a road to adventure as I have
heard good things about these games.
Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Paul.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

"eXtreme" <smithy@smithy.com> schreef in bericht
> I am looking for some good new(ish) adventure games and wondered if
anybody
> could point me in the right direction.
> I prefer games that have (some) humour and good stories/characters and I
am
> a big fan of the old classics such as Monkey Island 1, 2 & 3 (not so much
> 4), Broken Sword 1 & 2 (not so much 3), Beneath a Steel Sky and Sam & Max
> etc
> I have just ordered Still Life and Runaway: a road to adventure as I have
> heard good things about these games.
> Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated
>
> Thanks
>
> Paul.

The Black Mirror and (currently playing) The Moment of Silence are good
options i.m.o.. A lot of talking to do in both games though...

Jon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2003

"E-Cie" <WUFX@shutup.au> wrote in message

> "eXtreme" <smithy@smithy.com> schreef in bericht
> > I am looking for some good new(ish) adventure games and wondered if
> anybody
> > could point me in the right direction.
> > I prefer games that have (some) humour and good stories/characters and I
> am
> > a big fan of the old classics such as Monkey Island 1, 2 & 3 (not so
much
> > 4), Broken Sword 1 & 2 (not so much 3), Beneath a Steel Sky and Sam &
Max
> > etc
> > I have just ordered Still Life and Runaway: a road to adventure as I
have
> > heard good things about these games.
> > Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Paul.
> >

> The Black Mirror and (currently playing) The Moment of Silence are good
> options i.m.o.. A lot of talking to do in both games though...

If you havent played Grim Fandango, then thats a good game for a laugh.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Some good PS2 games are Final Fantasy X, Dark cloud,Dark chronicle, the
jak and daxter sieries and the ratchet and clank sieries

eXtreme wrote:
> I am looking for some good new(ish) adventure games and wondered if anybody
> could point me in the right direction.
> I prefer games that have (some) humour and good stories/characters and I am
> a big fan of the old classics such as Monkey Island 1, 2 & 3 (not so much
> 4), Broken Sword 1 & 2 (not so much 3), Beneath a Steel Sky and Sam & Max
> etc
> I have just ordered Still Life and Runaway: a road to adventure as I have
> heard good things about these games.
> Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated
>
> Thanks
>
> Paul.

Inherit the Earth has been remade for newer computers.
http://www.wyrmkeep.com/ite/

Other than that, the games that come closest to being like the
old Monkey Island games are Tony Tough and Gilbert Goodmate.
But they aren't really in the same class as the MI games IMO.
Perhaps Tony Tough 2, now in production, will come closer.

You've already ordered Runaway, which is similar to Broken Sword,
and someone else already mentioned Grim Fandango.

Wanted: A Wild Western Adventure was humorous. There was one
arcade sequence (the shooting gallery) that was just impossible,
but there is a saved game online that you can download here
http://www.cheathappens.com/show_dl.asp?ID=17610
Other than that, it was pretty good - though not the same
calibre as the old LucasArts games.

There aren't too many recent humorous games, unless you
look at independent freeware games. Not much commercial though.
If you haven't tried it yet, look at Peasant's Quest -
a parody of the early King's Quest games. It's a flash game
you play online.
Trailer here www.homestarrunner.com/pqtrailer.html
Game here www.homestarrunner.com/disk4of12.html

Jenny100 wrote:
> eXtreme wrote:
>> I am looking for some good new(ish) adventure games and wondered if
>> anybody could point me in the right direction.
>> I prefer games that have (some) humour and good stories/characters
>> and I am a big fan of the old classics such as Monkey Island 1, 2 &
>> 3 (not so much 4), Broken Sword 1 & 2 (not so much 3), Beneath a
>> Steel Sky and Sam & Max etc
>> I have just ordered Still Life and Runaway: a road to adventure as I
>> have heard good things about these games.
>> Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Paul.
>
> Inherit the Earth has been remade for newer computers.
> http://www.wyrmkeep.com/ite/
>
> Other than that, the games that come closest to being like the
> old Monkey Island games are Tony Tough and Gilbert Goodmate.
> But they aren't really in the same class as the MI games IMO.
> Perhaps Tony Tough 2, now in production, will come closer.
>
> You've already ordered Runaway, which is similar to Broken Sword,
> and someone else already mentioned Grim Fandango.
>
> Wanted: A Wild Western Adventure was humorous. There was one
> arcade sequence (the shooting gallery) that was just impossible,
> but there is a saved game online that you can download here
> http://www.cheathappens.com/show_dl.asp?ID=17610
> Other than that, it was pretty good - though not the same
> calibre as the old LucasArts games.
>
> There aren't too many recent humorous games, unless you
> look at independent freeware games. Not much commercial though.
> If you haven't tried it yet, look at Peasant's Quest -
> a parody of the early King's Quest games. It's a flash game
> you play online.
> Trailer here www.homestarrunner.com/pqtrailer.html
> Game here www.homestarrunner.com/disk4of12.html

Thanks for all the suggestions, I have since tried out demos for syberia 1 &
2 and Wanted: A Wild Western Adventure all of which looked pretty good so i
think i will I will try to get my hands on those. As for Grim Fandango, i
have that game, I also have moment of silence but i didnt really like that
one. Found it to be humourless and rather boring!.