fleft

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2002
I recently bought a CPU, memory, motherboard, video card hard drive(P4 2.4 512mb of 32 bit RDRAM and an ASUS mobo), and I want to get the case now. But i know nothing about them.

First off, sites like newegg.com seperates thier cases into categories like file server, full tower, workstation, mini/medium tower. I was wondering what type I should be looking at. I just want a regular case for a normal home computer, no file severs or anything like that.

second, what brands do you guys recommend? Ive been looking at antec's web site and they look like one of the better case makers, any other suggestions?

third, what type of power supply should i be getting. I was thinking of at least 350 watts, maybe even 400.

I was looking at these models in particular last night. Antec SX840 and the SX 635. what do you think of those?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Antec doesn't make cases, they use Chieftec cases, or whoever makes them for Chieftec also makes them for Antec. Newegg used to carry a full line of Chieftec cases, but now only carries the "customized" versions.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

fleft

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2002
oh, they only make fans then?

ok, then could you tell me a good chieftec case.

or more importantly what type of case i need. a mini tower? a med tower? a workstation? a full tower?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
They make power supplies. I don't even think they make their own fans...
If you do a search on Pricewatch for Chieftec, you might get some good results, if you go to Chieftec's website, you'll see a list of models, and if you do a websearch for Chieftec, you'll find several venders.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

fleft

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2002
how am I supposed to look for chieftec cases, if I dont know what type of case I need.

For a normal home pc, what type of case do I want? Ive seen evrything from a mini case to a file server to a workstation.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It depends on how many drives you want to use mainly. Most people need no more than 2 large drive bays, 1 3.5" external drive bay, and 2 internal 3.5" drive bays. You'll want a standard ATX case, as opposed to a Micro ATX, as these have 7 expansion slots in the back instead of 4 and therefore fit more motherboards.

A mid-tower is perfect for most users.

Rolen27

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2002
I'm assuming you just don't understand the terminology. You're probably looking for a mid-tower. I am going to order a Lian-Li PC60 case ($138 and free shipping from newegg.com). I just need to decide what power supply I'm going to get (it's an AMD system I'm building).

fleft

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2002
ok, i understand now.

also, how can I be sure my motherboard will fit? does it say somewhere in the mobo's manual about its size? or compatibility with cases?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
An ATX case fits all the common boards, which are:
1.) ATX
2.) Micro ATX (3 slots missing from bottom, board fits ATX case with space bellow board)
3.) ITX (an even more shrunk down ATX)
4.) AT (but you wouldn't find a good board in that form factor).

So if you get an ATX case you really don't have anything to worry about.

D0c

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
Hey,what's the opinion on the thermaltake Xaser series of cases ?
Not sure someone like fleft would want such a beefed up case with 5 fans and all.... :)

fleft

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2002
thanks for the clarification.

and i dont think i need quite so many fans, as I plan to do no overclocking. I know most people at these boards do overclock.

any other suggestions? the lian lis looked kinda exspensive. I was looking at the 75-100 dollar range, if you can get a good case at that price.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by fleft on 10/03/02 05:49 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

buddry

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
I would suggest a midtower case. I myself got a Lian-Li PC-65. The case is awesome, and I got a 431W enermax for it. If you want something cheaper, bet a chieftec. I got a nice case because it is something that I will have for a long time through many upgrades.

<font color=blue>Unofficial Forum Cop</font color=blue>