What's the earliest adventure game that didn't have dying ..

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

The early Sierra adventures all seem to kill you off occasionally.
What was the first adventure game that didn't kill you off?
Was it a text-only adventure that preceded the Sierra King's Quest games?
What was the first graphic adventure that didn't kill you?
It wasn't Secret of Monkey Island, was it?
24 answers Last reply
More about what earliest adventure game didn dying
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    Jenny100 wrote:
    > The early Sierra adventures all seem to kill you off
    > occasionally.

    An understatement, to be sure! (Did their later adventures ever soften
    this brutal tendancy? Not to the best of my recollection... their
    Manhunter games, at least, would let you reverse lethal mistakes
    without having to endlessly dance the "Save / Restore" pas-a-deux.)

    > What was the first adventure game that didn't kill you
    > off? Was it a text-only adventure that preceded the
    > Sierra King's Quest games?

    I can't vouch for runners-up Magnetic Scrolls, Level 9 or
    Adventuresoft, but games by the biggest text adventure company,
    Infocom, appear to be Sierra's bloody-minded inspiration, often
    featuring hunger, thirst and light (and encumbrance, ugh) limits
    further complicating dungeons full of deathtraps and ravenous grues.
    One of them, "Infidel", even contains a controversial end sequence
    culminating in the player's death -- as part of "winning" the game!

    > What was the first graphic adventure that didn't kill you?
    > It wasn't Secret of Monkey Island, was it?

    That looks like the right year (1990), if not necessarily the right
    game. Earlier Lucasfilm graphical adventure games like Labyrinth and
    Maniac Mansion featured industry-standard deaths; I can't vouch for Zak
    McCracken ('88) or Indy's Last Crusade ('89 -- given the hero's endless
    escapades, I suspect death is on the agenda somewhere), but Loom at
    least (also released in '90) appears to be player-deathless. (If
    careful notes aren't kept, it can be got into an unwinnable state, but
    that is what your Book of Patterns is for after all.)

    (The Secret of Monkey Island, on the other hand, contains two player
    deaths -- though one is actually a Sierra-parodying false death, and
    the other demands some due diligence and dedication to testing
    Guybrush's breath-holding title.)

    I must say that after being introduced to the elegant Lucasarts
    deathless adventure design it was hard going back to endless series of
    punishing and often arbitrary-seeming deaths in Sierra's and
    Microprose's graphical adventure games. (Westwood's Legend of Kyrandia
    games at least would often give you an "I don't think I should do
    that..." warning before going ahead and letting you shoot yourself in
    the foot anyhow.) The Simon the Sorcerer games seemed the only ones
    that took the Lucasfilm deathlessness revolution to heart, and I like
    to think that it has helped contribute to the longevity of their
    popularity where other contemporary games of theirs have been
    forgotten.

    I only intended to share two cents, but I seem to have emptied my
    wallet entirely. Keep the change.
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    Op Sat, 14 May 2005 04:12:04 GMT schreef Jenny100 <nospam@nospam.com>:

    >The early Sierra adventures all seem to kill you off occasionally.
    >What was the first adventure game that didn't kill you off?

    Tough question. I don't know.
    As someone else said, Infocom games are out. So is Magnetic Scrolls.

    I remember playing Perry Mason: The Case of the Mandarin Murder.
    A text adventure with graphics by Telarium in 1986. You could lose
    your case in court at the end of the game, but afaik there was no
    dying.

    >Was it a text-only adventure that preceded the Sierra King's Quest games?
    >What was the first graphic adventure that didn't kill you?
    >It wasn't Secret of Monkey Island, was it?
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    UnwashedMass wrote:

    >> The early Sierra adventures all seem to kill you off
    >> occasionally.
    > I must say that after being introduced to the elegant Lucasarts
    > deathless adventure design it was hard going back to endless series of
    > punishing and often arbitrary-seeming deaths in Sierra's and
    > Microprose's graphical adventure games.

    But to be honest, I loved to die for example in Space Quest I,
    the deaths were very funny and so enriched my gaming experience.
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    "Jenny100" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > The early Sierra adventures all seem to kill you off occasionally.
    > What was the first adventure game that didn't kill you off?
    > Was it a text-only adventure that preceded the Sierra King's Quest games?
    > What was the first graphic adventure that didn't kill you?
    > It wasn't Secret of Monkey Island, was it?

    hhmmm what about leisure suit larry 1? when did they start?
    They would be close to the first... maybe!
    Linda
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    Op Sat, 14 May 2005 19:30:56 +1000 schreef "piester"
    <piesterl@gopies.com>:

    >"Jenny100" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> The early Sierra adventures all seem to kill you off occasionally.
    >> What was the first adventure game that didn't kill you off?
    >> Was it a text-only adventure that preceded the Sierra King's Quest games?
    >> What was the first graphic adventure that didn't kill you?
    >> It wasn't Secret of Monkey Island, was it?
    >
    >hhmmm what about leisure suit larry 1? when did they start?
    >They would be close to the first... maybe!
    >Linda

    You can die in Larry.
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    "LS" <here!@> wrote in message
    > Op Sat, 14 May 2005 19:30:56 +1000 schreef "piester"
    > <piesterl@gopies.com>:
    >

    > >"Jenny100" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > >> The early Sierra adventures all seem to kill you off occasionally.
    > >> What was the first adventure game that didn't kill you off?
    > >> Was it a text-only adventure that preceded the Sierra King's Quest
    games?
    > >> What was the first graphic adventure that didn't kill you?
    > >> It wasn't Secret of Monkey Island, was it?
    > >
    > >hhmmm what about leisure suit larry 1? when did they start?
    > >They would be close to the first... maybe!
    > >Linda
    > >

    > You can die in Larry.

    It's been years since I played them...
    when can you die?
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    piester wrote:
    > "LS" <here!@> wrote in message
    >
    >>Op Sat, 14 May 2005 19:30:56 +1000 schreef "piester"
    >><piesterl@gopies.com>:
    >>

    >>>"Jenny100" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message

    > games?

    >>>hhmmm what about leisure suit larry 1? when did they start?
    >>>They would be close to the first... maybe!
    >>>Linda
    >>>

    >>You can die in Larry.
    >

    > It's been years since I played them...
    > when can you die?

    It's been years since I've played too. But I seem to recall that
    there's a place where he can hookup with a ho and if he doesn't use a
    condom he'll get VD and die.
  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    In article <4285f8fb$0$10307$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au>,
    piesterl@gopies.com says...

    >"LS" <here!@> wrote in message
    >> Op Sat, 14 May 2005 19:30:56 +1000 schreef "piester"
    >> <piesterl@gopies.com>:

    >> >"Jenny100" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message

    >> >hhmmm what about leisure suit larry 1? when did they start?
    >> >They would be close to the first... maybe!
    >> >Linda

    >> You can die in Larry.

    >It's been years since I played them...
    >when can you die?

    When you leave the bar and walk into a nearby alley, you get mugged and die.
    Then Sierra painstakingly explains all the trouble they have to go through to
    revive a dead character and asks that you to not do it again.

    Civil War Round Table of DC & Concentration Camp made of Lego bricks
    http://members.tripod.com/~kennrice
    Maps of Ultima 7 Parts 1 & 2, Prophecy of the Shadow, Savage Empire,
    Crusaders of Dark Savant & Others.
  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    Op Sat, 14 May 2005 10:12:36 -0400 schreef Dick Sidbury
    <drjamessidbury@hotmail.com>:

    >piester wrote:
    >> "LS" <here!@> wrote in message

    >> games?

    >>>You can die in Larry.
    >>

    >> It's been years since I played them...
    >> when can you die?
    >>

    >It's been years since I've played too. But I seem to recall that
    >there's a place where he can hookup with a ho and if he doesn't use a
    >condom he'll get VD and die.

    Yep!

    And is there much difference between dying and "game over", for
    instance when you're arrested by the cops for... eh... visibly wearing
    a condom in the street? :)
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    UnwashedMass wrote:
    > Jenny100 wrote:
    >>What was the first graphic adventure that didn't kill you?
    >>It wasn't Secret of Monkey Island, was it?
    [...]
    > (The Secret of Monkey Island, on the other hand, contains two player
    > deaths -- though one is actually a Sierra-parodying false death, and
    > the other demands some due diligence and dedication to testing
    > Guybrush's breath-holding title.)

    Or you can answer the phone in the middle of the sequence, and return
    a half-hour later to find Guybrush's bloated corpse. :-(
    --
    David Tanguay
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    Manfred Ginger wrote:

    > But to be honest, I loved to die for example in Space Quest I,
    > the deaths were very funny and so enriched my gaming experience.

    Space Quest was a unique case -- as far as I can tell, the primary
    appeal of the series hinged around the ubiquitous potential exotic
    deaths the programmers had cooked up for poor Roger, which is why they
    often featured particular and unique dazzling animations and humorous
    scoldings -- I think that someone playing through a Space Quest game
    without dying once would only experience maybe two-thirds to
    three-quarters of the work, love and care put into the game.

    (There's a site you may appreciate at http://tmd.alienharmony.com/rw/
    called "The Many Deaths of Roger Wilco" -- aiming to present, through
    transcript, video and sound capture, every different ignoble death
    Roger Wilco is subjected to over the course of the Space Quest series.)

    However, Space Quest deaths weren't typical of Sierra games -- far more
    stuck in my memory is Police Quest 1's automatic player death if you
    fail to walk around the car before entering. (Or how about its
    legendary "You entered the shower with your uniform on. You died!"?)

    Deaths in the Quest for Glory series seemed less arbitrary and more
    understandable, rarely sneaking up on the player (who really thinks
    that drinking Dragon's Breath is going to be a good career move?) but
    my memories of King's Quest games are filled with frustration at dying
    for no apparent reason other than walking off the path (ESPECIALLY
    under circumstances of protagonist-invisibility to player, while
    walking behind scenery -- trees, beanstalks etc. I couldn't see that
    bend!), walking into surprisingly unwadeable water, and the perennial
    favourite -- "Something just killed me, but I didn't see what it was."
    All this bred in me as a player was resignation to unfair and arbitrary
    deaths and brand loyalty to Lucasfilm 8)
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    LS wrote

    > You could lose your case in court at the end of the game,
    > but afaik there was no dying.

    Perhaps Jenny100 ought to specify whether "killing you off" refers to
    "Game Over - You Lose" sequences in general or specifically to violent,
    messy character murders. There must have been more games such as you
    describe, with little reasonable potential for brutal physical violence
    rendered upon the player character...

    Does anyone recall if Les Manley finds a bad fate in his Search for the
    King or while Lost in LA? (Howabout in Accolade's 1990 "Altered
    Destiny"?)
  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    David Tanguay wrote:

    > Or you can answer the phone in the middle of the sequence, and return
    > a half-hour later to find Guybrush's bloated corpse. :-(

    I've always been a fan of "idle animations" -- things characters on the
    screen will do to indicate impatience in an absence of user input.
    Some characters tap their feet or look at their watch -- others blow
    bubbles, yo-yo or read a book. I see that little sequence as akin to
    the ultimate extension of idle animations. (Well over a decade ago, I
    remember having a strategizing conversation with a friend at that point
    in the game when the screen movement in the corner of his eye caught
    his attention and derailed our conversation. "Hey, Nick! I just
    committed a felony!" We nearly soiled ourselves in the revelation that
    /the game was playing itself!/)
  14. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    On 15 May 2005 12:55:58 -0700, "UnwashedMass" <growan@gmail.com> wrote:

    >his attention and derailed our conversation. "Hey, Nick! I just
    >committed a felony!" We nearly soiled ourselves in the revelation that
    >/the game was playing itself!/)

    Which game was that?

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

    Michael Cecil wrote:
    >Which game was that?

    I've been trying to keep the thread continuous, but I suppose all my
    Space Quest interjections diluted the trail. The scene we were
    describing is halfway to Guybrush Threepwood's death in the Secret of
    Monkey Island (following the equally hilarious "stealing the Governor's
    idol" cut-scene.)
  16. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    Ken Rice wrote:

    >>> You can die in Larry.
    >
    >>It's been years since I played them...
    >>when can you die?
    >
    > When you leave the bar and walk into a nearby alley, you get mugged and die.
    > Then Sierra painstakingly explains all the trouble they have to go through to
    > revive a dead character and asks that you to not do it again.

    That was a great sequence, I LdMAO.
  17. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    Ken Rice wrote:

    >The first game I ever saw the "bored character" was Commander Keen. He
    would
    >cross his arms, tap his toe, and eventually sit down to read a book.

    That's what I was thinking of in my examples. In CK4, there's a unique
    idle animation only shown once in the Pyramid of the Moon. If you idle
    off while leaving Keen on one of the little crescent-moon signs on the
    floor, he will take his pants off and "moon" you... blink and you miss
    it for good. (There's a high concentration of secrets on that level --
    it also contains the secret warp to take you to the inaccessible
    "Forbidden Pyramid".)
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    UnwashedMass wrote:
    > LS wrote
    >

    >>You could lose your case in court at the end of the game,
    >>but afaik there was no dying.
    >

    > Perhaps Jenny100 ought to specify whether "killing you off" refers to
    > "Game Over - You Lose" sequences in general or specifically to violent,
    > messy character murders. There must have been more games such as you
    > describe, with little reasonable potential for brutal physical violence
    > rendered upon the player character...

    Mostly I was thinking of sudden "game overs" when you're exploring.

    What inspired my original question was reading forums where
    people complain about how developers have started to add
    more action sequences and deaths to adventure games, and
    others have answered that action sequences and deaths were
    a part of classic adventure games and not really new.
    For example, the Gabriel Knight games all have places you
    can die in them yet are still considered classic examples
    of adventure games. The King's Quest games have even more
    deaths - often sudden and stupid deaths - for example if
    you try to walk off the side of a staircase two steps
    from the end instead of walking all the way down
    and exiting the end of the staircase. As if a fall from
    a height of a foot and a half is likely to kill anyone.

    Anyway, then I got to thinking about what older adventure games
    I knew of that didn't have deaths in them. And I thought of Myst
    and I thought of the Monkey Island games. Monkey Island came first,
    so that suggested LucasArts was the first company that thought
    of eliminating deaths. But early LucasArts games did kill you
    (I remember getting cacked in Zak McKraken). So I was wondering
    at what point it occurred to some developer that eliminating
    the penalties for experimenting with things in the gameworld
    might be a way to enhance the game. From what I can tell,
    LucasArts really was the first company to realize this.

    > Does anyone recall if Les Manley finds a bad fate in his Search for the
    > King or while Lost in LA? (Howabout in Accolade's 1990 "Altered
    > Destiny"?)

  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    In article <1116186958.694325.109880@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
    growan@gmail.com says...

    >David Tanguay wrote:

    >> Or you can answer the phone in the middle of the sequence, and return
    >> a half-hour later to find Guybrush's bloated corpse. :-(

    >I've always been a fan of "idle animations" -- things characters on the
    >screen will do to indicate impatience in an absence of user input.
    >Some characters tap their feet or look at their watch -- others blow
    >bubbles, yo-yo or read a book. I see that little sequence as akin to
    >the ultimate extension of idle animations. (Well over a decade ago, I
    >remember having a strategizing conversation with a friend at that point
    >in the game when the screen movement in the corner of his eye caught
    >his attention and derailed our conversation. "Hey, Nick! I just
    >committed a felony!" We nearly soiled ourselves in the revelation that
    >/the game was playing itself!/)

    The first game I ever saw the "bored character" was Commander Keen. He would
    cross his arms, tap his toe, and eventually sit down to read a book.

    Civil War Round Table of DC & Concentration Camp made of Lego bricks
    http://members.tripod.com/~kennrice
    Maps of Ultima 7 Parts 1 & 2, Prophecy of the Shadow, Savage Empire,
    Crusaders of Dark Savant & Others.
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    UnwashedMass wrote:

    >> But to be honest, I loved to die for example in Space Quest I,
    >> the deaths were very funny and so enriched my gaming experience.
    >
    > Space Quest was a unique case -- as far as I can tell, the primary
    > appeal of the series hinged around the ubiquitous potential exotic
    > deaths the programmers had cooked up for poor Roger, which is why they

    Ich halte es nicht für gerechtfertigt, Space Quest jetzt nur auf
    originelle Tode zu reduzieren.
    Denn Tode in Adventures waren zu der damaligen Zeit absolut üblich, an
    Toden hat sich niemand gestört.
    Man erfreute sich stattdessen an der Innovation, dass die Charaktere
    sich nun plötzlich durch eine grafische Welt bewegten!
    Was ich meine ist, niemand redet z.B. heute deshalb schlecht über
    Infocom, nur weil man in Zork regelmäßig gestorben ist.

    Keine Frage, dass "Nie Sterben" für die meisten echten Adventurespieler
    eine wichtige Verbesserung bedeutete - zumal es den Abenteurer vom
    "bloßen" Action-Spieler noch krasser abhob.

    Aber "Nie Sterben" war nur einer von vielen Entwicklungsschritten,
    sonst wären ja auch alle Adventures vor PnC grundsätzlich schlecht.

    Man sollte Sierra Respekt zollen. Dafür das Genre damals (mit den
    damaligen Konventionen) mit vielen spannenden und lustigen Spielen
    bereichert zu haben.

    > deaths the programmers had cooked up for poor Roger, which is why they
    > often featured particular and unique dazzling animations and humorous
    > scoldings -- I think that someone playing through a Space Quest game
    > without dying once would only experience maybe two-thirds to
    > three-quarters of the work, love and care put into the game.
    >
    > (There's a site you may appreciate at http://tmd.alienharmony.com/rw/
    > called "The Many Deaths of Roger Wilco" -- aiming to present, through
    > transcript, video and sound capture, every different ignoble death
    > Roger Wilco is subjected to over the course of the Space Quest series.)

    Eine tolle Seite, vielen Dank.
  21. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    "Manfred Ginger" <manging@sofortstart.de> schreef in bericht
    > UnwashedMass wrote:
    >
    > >> But to be honest, I loved to die for example in Space Quest I,
    > >> the deaths were very funny and so enriched my gaming experience.
    > >
    > > Space Quest was a unique case -- as far as I can tell, the primary
    > > appeal of the series hinged around the ubiquitous potential exotic
    > > deaths the programmers had cooked up for poor Roger, which is why they
    >
    > Ich halte es nicht für gerechtfertigt, Space Quest jetzt nur auf
    > originelle Tode zu reduzieren.
    > Denn Tode in Adventures waren zu der damaligen Zeit absolut üblich, an
    > Toden hat sich niemand gestört.
    > Man erfreute sich stattdessen an der Innovation, dass die Charaktere
    > sich nun plötzlich durch eine grafische Welt bewegten!
    > Was ich meine ist, niemand redet z.B. heute deshalb schlecht über
    > Infocom, nur weil man in Zork regelmäßig gestorben ist.
    >
    > Keine Frage, dass "Nie Sterben" für die meisten echten Adventurespieler
    > eine wichtige Verbesserung bedeutete - zumal es den Abenteurer vom
    > "bloßen" Action-Spieler noch krasser abhob.
    >
    > Aber "Nie Sterben" war nur einer von vielen Entwicklungsschritten,
    > sonst wären ja auch alle Adventures vor PnC grundsätzlich schlecht.
    >
    > Man sollte Sierra Respekt zollen. Dafür das Genre damals (mit den
    > damaligen Konventionen) mit vielen spannenden und lustigen Spielen
    > bereichert zu haben.
    >
    > > deaths the programmers had cooked up for poor Roger, which is why they
    > > often featured particular and unique dazzling animations and humorous
    > > scoldings -- I think that someone playing through a Space Quest game
    > > without dying once would only experience maybe two-thirds to
    > > three-quarters of the work, love and care put into the game.
    > >
    > > (There's a site you may appreciate at http://tmd.alienharmony.com/rw/
    > > called "The Many Deaths of Roger Wilco" -- aiming to present, through
    > > transcript, video and sound capture, every different ignoble death
    > > Roger Wilco is subjected to over the course of the Space Quest series.)
    >
    > Eine tolle Seite, vielen Dank.

    ....und jetzt noch mal English studieren... ;-)
  22. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    On that special day, E-Cie, (WUFX@shutup.au) said...

    > > > (There's a site you may appreciate at http://tmd.alienharmony.com/rw/
    > > > called "The Many Deaths of Roger Wilco" -- aiming to present, through
    > > > transcript, video and sound capture, every different ignoble death
    > > > Roger Wilco is subjected to over the course of the Space Quest series.)
    > >
    > > Eine tolle Seite, vielen Dank.
    >
    > ...und jetzt noch mal English studieren... ;-)

    In other postings, he did write a quite understandable English. I have
    no idea why he switched to German, except he received a private mail
    from UnwashedMass, which was in German.

    Gabriele Neukam

    Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de

    just so, at no cost.
  23. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    Gabriele Neukam wrote:

    >> > Eine tolle Seite, vielen Dank.
    >>
    >> ...und jetzt noch mal English studieren... ;-)
    >
    > In other postings, he did write a quite understandable English. I have
    > no idea why he switched to German, except he received a private mail
    > from UnwashedMass, which was in German.

    No mail. And I didn't mean to disturb this newsgroup
    (being a true adventurer I would not dare).
    Sorry, and no more OT-BS from me.

    > Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de
  24. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    E-Cie wrote:

    >> Eine tolle Seite, vielen Dank.
    >
    > ....und jetzt noch mal English studieren... ;-)

    Ehrlich, ich hattte englisch angesetzt.
    Aber den Versuch wieder abgebrochen: der passive Wortschatz ist
    halt doch viel gößer als der aktive (von der mangelhaften Grammatik
    mangels Übung mal ganz abgesehen).
    Eine Frustreaktion darauf, dass man die postings
    zwar wie selbstverständlich mitliest, aber dann, insbesondere
    unter Zeitdruck, beim reflexartigen Antwortversuch keine
    vernünftigen englischen Sätze erscheinen wollen.

PC gaming Games Video Games