Sign in with
Your question

Internet explorer too slow in windows 7 pro

Last response: in Networking
October 24, 2012 11:42:10 AM

Using Win7 pro, i5 processor, peachtree 2012, .net 3.5 sp1, norton 360, internet explorer 9, installed all patches/updates, wired network - system takes 5 to 15 minutes to load webpage - what is wrong?
a c 215 $ Windows 7
October 24, 2012 12:24:23 PM

It could be quite a few things. have you tried accessing that site with a different web browser to see if it acts the same? If so, you may need to update your LAN drivers.

It might also be the web site itself if the server is currently under load or not configured properly.

Have you tried a tracert to the site to see if there are any slow spots on the network? Have you tried pinging the site to see if you are getting dropped packets?
October 24, 2012 2:42:36 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
It could be quite a few things. have you tried accessing that site with a different web browser to see if it acts the same? If so, you may need to update your LAN drivers.

It might also be the web site itself if the server is currently under load or not configured properly.

Have you tried a tracert to the site to see if there are any slow spots on the network? Have you tried pinging the site to see if you are getting dropped packets?

I have tried all sorts of things, uninstalling Norton, disabling UAC, disabling all addons, checking for malware, checking for trojans/viruses, but what I do know is that if using a Windows XP Pro system it works fine. I even had AT&T come out check the DSL line (the fixed a ground loop problem) and changed out the router to business class. I would like to stay with IE and not go to nonstandard browers but I can try for testing purposes. The question is if that works then what if I want to use IE?
Related resources
a c 215 $ Windows 7
October 24, 2012 4:12:26 PM

A non-standard browser? You do know that more people use chrome and firefox than IE, right. IE has been in the minority for a few years now. Besides, you can have more than one browser installed at a time. Just keep IE set as the deafault browser if you want.

Also, you didn't say if you tried any pings or tracert's to any web sites.
October 24, 2012 8:12:49 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
A non-standard browser? You do know that more people use chrome and firefox than IE, right. IE has been in the minority for a few years now. Besides, you can have more than one browser installed at a time. Just keep IE set as the deafault browser if you want.

Also, you didn't say if you tried any pings or tracert's to any web sites.

Although I already know that changing to another brower it does not find the root cause of the problem I have. I am interested in using Windows 7 as it was intended and solving problems within the confines of that OS. I have tried Firefox and know that works. What I want is what is the cause of it not working with IE8 or IE9, with Windows 7 Pro, Intel i5, 4 GB RAM, Norton 360 (with settings recommended by Peachtree Sage 50 2012), all patches/updates done. I realize this is a strange problem and thought that it might be nice to see others provide input as I typically work alone. I have 1800 companies I do IT support for and have been working on all sort of environments since 1973. I have chosen to work primarily in the PC world. I have a AT&T router with max speed of 1.5mps. Having to wait 5 to 15 minutes before a webpage is displayed is too long when work is involved. I am not looking for answer, I am looking for a specific answer using the default tools.
a c 215 $ Windows 7
October 25, 2012 12:13:34 PM

Yes, I understand, but by using a different browser, you can eliminate the ethernet port & driver as a cause of your slow down.

You say you know firefox works, thus this eliminates the ethernet port as a cause of your slowdown. No offense, but I'm glad I'm not one of the 1800 companies you work for. Installing another browser is just basic diagnostics. You can't locate a problem if you don't start eliminating some of the possibilities.

Short of uninstalling and reinstalling IE, I don't know what the cause can be. As I said, I don't use it. It has always given me problems in one way or another. The only thing IE seems to be good at is compatibility. When a web site doesn't look right, IE will generally display it properly, but even this is exremely rare today.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Hopefully others can provide you with a solution.
!