Inexpensive soundcards

Last response: in Home Audio
October 3, 2004 3:34:44 PM

I'm looking for a soundcard that has S/PDIF in/out for my computer.
Something like the Creative Extigy USB perhaps, but not an external
card. Is there anything in the $100-200 price range?

Thanks

Gregory

More about : inexpensive soundcards

Anonymous
October 3, 2004 4:59:25 PM

http://echoaudio.com/Products/PCI/MiaMIDI/index.php

"Gregory Lee" <greglee@umich.edu> wrote in message
> I'm looking for a soundcard that has S/PDIF in/out for my computer.
> Something like the Creative Extigy USB perhaps, but not an external
> card. Is there anything in the $100-200 price range?
>
> Thanks
>
> Gregory
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 12:50:18 AM

go to
www.emu.com

E-MU 0404

Best Regards

emil

"Gregory Lee" <greglee@umich.edu> wrote in message
> I'm looking for a soundcard that has S/PDIF in/out for my computer.
> Something like the Creative Extigy USB perhaps, but not an external
> card. Is there anything in the $100-200 price range?
>
> Thanks
>
> Gregory
October 4, 2004 1:53:15 AM

"Gregory Lee" <greglee@umich.edu> wrote in message
> I'm looking for a soundcard that has S/PDIF in/out for my computer.
> Something like the Creative Extigy USB perhaps, but not an external
> card. Is there anything in the $100-200 price range?

M-Audio Audiophile 24/96
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 11:32:19 AM

Gregory Lee wrote:

> I'm looking for a soundcard that has S/PDIF in/out for my computer.

There are no doubt several.

> Something like the Creative Extigy USB perhaps, but not an external
> card.

I thought you wanted a good sound card.

> Is there anything in the $100-200 price range?

Midiman Audiophile is DKK 995 here in Copenhagen, Denmark.

> Gregory

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

October 4, 2004 1:02:36 PM

Thanks for everyone's recommendations. I was trying to compare the
E-MU 0404, M Audio Audiophile 2496, and the Echo - MiaMidi. THe first
two are around $100, and the Echo is around $200.

All seem to advertise the 96khz 24 bit feature. I don't really need
software or any other inputs (just S/PDIF in/out). How would these
three compare? Are they better than the Creative Extigy USB external
card? Does 96/24 suggest a good sound quality?

Gregory

Peter Larsen <SPAMSHIELD_plarsen@mail.tele.dk> wrote in message news:<4160E063.ABD325CE@mail.tele.dk>...
> Gregory Lee wrote:
>
> > I'm looking for a soundcard that has S/PDIF in/out for my computer.
>
> There are no doubt several.
>
> > Something like the Creative Extigy USB perhaps, but not an external
> > card.
>
> I thought you wanted a good sound card.
>
> > Is there anything in the $100-200 price range?
>
> Midiman Audiophile is DKK 995 here in Copenhagen, Denmark.
>
> > Gregory
>

> Kind regards
>
> Peter Larsen
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 7:35:05 PM

> Thanks for everyone's recommendations. I was trying to compare the
> E-MU 0404, M Audio Audiophile 2496, and the Echo - MiaMidi. THe first
> two are around $100, and the Echo is around $200.

> All seem to advertise the 96khz 24 bit feature.

As does just about every other *pro* sound card, and most of the better
consumer cards these days.

>I don't really need
> software or any other inputs (just S/PDIF in/out).

Hence my suggestion of the AP2496.

> How would these three compare?

The AP2496 has a good combination of low cost and high performance in the
mode you want to focus on.

> Are they better than the Creative Extigy USB external card?

Yes, for sure the Echo and the M-Audio cards can provide bit-perfect data
transfer.

> Does 96/24 suggest a good sound quality?

No, its a feature that is so pervasive among cards that are mediocre or
better, that it mostly means made this century.
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 10:23:29 PM

In article <1362dbdd.0410040802.4de3f493@posting.google.com> greglee@umich.edu writes:

> E-MU 0404, M Audio Audiophile 2496, and the Echo - MiaMidi.
> Are they better than the Creative Extigy USB external

I suppose I might be missing something here, but I wouldn't even
bother to listen to the Creative product if I was considering one of
those others. Even if it DID sound better (which I doubt) it's an
enterment multimedia product as opposed to products that are designed
to operate with real audio software. I just woulnd't do it if I had to
ask.

> Does 96/24 suggest a good sound quality?

Not by itself.

October 4, 2004 10:54:11 PM

greglee@umich.edu (Gregory Lee) wrote in

> Thanks for everyone's recommendations. I was trying to compare the
> E-MU 0404, M Audio Audiophile 2496, and the Echo - MiaMidi. THe first
> two are around $100, and the Echo is around $200.
>
> All seem to advertise the 96khz 24 bit feature. I don't really need
> software or any other inputs (just S/PDIF in/out). How would these
> three compare? Are they better than the Creative Extigy USB external
> card? Does 96/24 suggest a good sound quality?

Creative cards resample everything to 48kHz on the fly.
They are the worst choice for audio recording.
This is a pro newsgroup apparently. You are asking about
a game players card.
October 4, 2004 11:30:33 PM

If you are just using it for sp-dif, i'd highly recommend the m-audio
audiophile 2496. you can get them dirt cheap at newegg.com, and
guitar center recently dropped the price on them.

the best thing about the card is the drivers. it just "works". so
for spdif, it's a great idea.

if you have any plans to use it for analog i/o, well... it sounds
small and constrained. not at all "audiophile".

but the drivers and system compatibility are damn good.
!