The BEST 3d sound card?

Col_Kiwi

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002
Currently i'm just using the onboard audio from my P4S533 mobo. Its high quality output but has basically zero features.

I'm considering getting a better card.

-What is the best card?

I'm looking for EAX2 support, plus whatever other 3d sound APIs are common these days (what is there anyway?) and preferably digital output in case i get digital speakers in the future.

I currently have a set of Cambridge 2.1 speakers from back when i got my AWE64 long ago. They're excellent quality and i do not intend to replace them until i get surround speakers in the future (quite some time from now because surround is expensive). I also sometimes use headphones.

How big, while still using 2.1's, of a difference does it make? Is a fancy card worth the cash if I can't afford surround speakers now anyway?

-Col.Kiwi

The Turtle Beach Santa Cruz is outstanding, much better than the Creative line of cards, I'm not advising you on someone elses say so, I own both cards. Ryan

Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.

Col_Kiwi

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002
Nice. The "digital mode" of that VersaJack (I was reading <A HREF="http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/products/santacruz/producthome.asp" target="_new">their website</A>) is an SPDIF?

When I someday get around to surround speakers for my computer, if I do, it'll be digital.

Plus my existing home theatre receiver has a "digital coax" input which i am using with my digital cable box's SPDIF output. This is compatible with the Santa Cruz?

The wiring would have to be around 25 to 35 feet to get to my receiver... are cables of the correct type at that length prohibitively expensive? Does the signal degrade much over that distance? I'd expect not with digital, but...

-Col.Kiwi

Col_Kiwi

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002
Just read something while I was looking at speakers that confused me...

What's "Digital DIN"? Another name for SPDIF or something different entirely?

-Col.Kiwi

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I tried both Philips Accoustic Edge and Turtle Beach Santa Cruz on my Klipsch speakers. Philips Accoustic Edge sound a lot better than Turtle Beach Santa Cruz.

matrix20109

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2002
The turtle beach santa cruz card is less expensive than the creative labs ones, but is so much better. I currently own a SBlive 5.1 X-gamer and the drivers and supporting software never install without giving me errors. I have actually opted for onboard sound, because of the difficulty I have had with the drivers. Even the most up to date ones give me problems. Santa cruz runs nice and smoothly with no problems at all. Go for that instead of a SB card.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I've owned both the Vortex2 SQ2500 and the Live! Platinum. A3D 2.0 kicks EAX 2.0's arse, and is still supported by most games.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Col_Kiwi

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002
The Turtle Beach Santa Cruz mentioned A3D 1.0 but not 2.0... does it support 2 as well, or not?

Theres the one question still unanswered about whether it makes a difference still having 2.1 speakers?

-Col.Kiwi

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I don't think anyone had A3D 2.0 except Aureal. 2.1 will give you nice stereo with no 3D, or at best poor quality 3D synthesis. Aureal was the only company who ever fully developed 3D synthesis to the point where it sounded accurate for most listeners.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Proabably not. I think the closest thing to A3D 2.0 reflective technology is Sensaura, so if you want to use just 2 directional channels, perhaps a Sensaura enabled card would be the way to go. Otherwise, probably no reason to upgrade.

Col_Kiwi

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002
Okay, thanks.

I think I'll put it off for now, get a new drive and/or more memory sooner instead. I'll go for surround speakers and a new card at the same time around christmas holidays, maybe catch boxing day sales :smile:

-Col.Kiwi

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you really like your speakers, just get a second set for the rear. I keep hearing the Turtle Beach Santa Cruiz is the best card.

TRENDING THREADS