Sign in with
Your question

Intermittent connectivity issues with Dell laptop

Last response: in Wireless Networking
September 13, 2012 7:43:17 PM

Hi,

I've had a Dell Inspiron laptop with Windows 7 for about a year or so and it always had the same problem. Very often, if I am connected to a wireless network and I just close the lid (just putting the laptop to sleep, not shutting it down) and move somewhere else, like from home to school, Windows will tell me that any new network I am trying to access is unavailable. More specifically, the process is stuck in the "identifying" step forever. Using the troubleshoot problems option rarely works. Some other times, the issue will just resolve itself after a while. The only way to get my network connectivity back for sure is to restart my computer every time, which I am just tired of doing.

So, what do you think ? Any similar issues out there ?
a b D Laptop
September 14, 2012 4:36:57 PM

see if you can change the Power settings for the network card.
m
l
a b D Laptop
September 14, 2012 4:45:55 PM

In additon to the above, there's really no reason to reboot when this happens. Just open the Device Manager and do a disable/enable on the wireless NIC. That should bring it back to life.

This is an ongoing issue ever since computers gained the ability to standby/sleep. Some hardware just doesn't wake up properly.
m
l
September 14, 2012 7:44:00 PM

ex_bubblehead said:
In additon to the above, there's really no reason to reboot when this happens. Just open the Device Manager and do a disable/enable on the wireless NIC. That should bring it back to life.

This is an ongoing issue ever since computers gained the ability to standby/sleep. Some hardware just doesn't wake up properly.

Actually, that's the strange part: trying to troubleshoot the problems via Windows actually does reset. It still takes an actual full reboot to really get back connectivity.
m
l
!