Why no Still Life discussion ??

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

"rms" <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> wrote in message
> Is it that bad?
>
> rms

I'm playing it (in between long bouts of Guild Wars) and think it's a well
done adventure title. I like the macabre theme and visceral images as well
as the brief nudity and coarse language. The voice acting is a bit too
stilted for my tastes, but not unbearable. Cutscenes are well done and help
to move things along. Puzzles are mostly 'been there' but still provide a
challenge. There are several subtle graphic niceties which are a definite
plus. I recommend it.

In a nutshell -- I would classify it as Syberia meets Ripper. :^)

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

"rms" <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> wrote in message
> Is it that bad?
>
> rms

Hi ....

My understanding is that it's very good.
So people are probably just busy playing it rather than talking about it
;-)

Cheers.

Mad :)

rms wrote:
> Is it that bad?
>
> rms

I'm still waiting for my copy to be delivered! It's not out yet in th UK so
had to order it from Canada.

On Tue, 17 May 2005 05:54:46 +0100, Madeleine Williams wrote:

> "rms" <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> wrote in message
>> Is it that bad?
>>
>> rms
>>

> Hi ....
>
> My understanding is that it's very good.
> So people are probably just busy playing it rather than talking about it
> ;-)
>
> Cheers.
>
> Mad :)

No one talks about the games they're playing in here any more.
Don't know why. Not many adventure games being released these
days, but even when one is released... silence reigns...
Too bad. This newsgroup used to be livelier.

Gsquared <ggmediaNOT@myway.com> wrote:

> "rms" <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> wrote in message
>> Is it that bad?
>>
>> rms
>>

> I'm playing it (in between long bouts of Guild Wars) and think it's a well
> done adventure title. I like the macabre theme and visceral images as well
> as the brief nudity and coarse language. The voice acting is a bit too
> stilted for my tastes, but not unbearable. Cutscenes are well done and help
> to move things along. Puzzles are mostly 'been there' but still provide a
> challenge. There are several subtle graphic niceties which are a definite
> plus. I recommend it.
>
> In a nutshell -- I would classify it as Syberia meets Ripper. :^)

Does the North American (esp. Canadian) release have StarForce?

I remember thinking it looked great in the previews, but I won't support a
company that uses Starforce.

Colin

"Colin B." <cbigam@somewhereelse.nucleus.com> wrote in message
> Gsquared <ggmediaNOT@myway.com> wrote:
>>
>> "rms" <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> wrote in message
>>> Is it that bad?
>>>
>>> rms
>>>

>> I'm playing it (in between long bouts of Guild Wars) and think it's a
>> well
>> done adventure title. I like the macabre theme and visceral images as
>> well
>> as the brief nudity and coarse language. The voice acting is a bit too
>> stilted for my tastes, but not unbearable. Cutscenes are well done and
>> help
>> to move things along. Puzzles are mostly 'been there' but still provide
>> challenge. There are several subtle graphic niceties which are a
>> definite
>> plus. I recommend it.
>>
>> In a nutshell -- I would classify it as Syberia meets Ripper. :^)
>
> Does the North American (esp. Canadian) release have StarForce?
>
> I remember thinking it looked great in the previews, but I won't support a
> company that uses Starforce.
>
> Colin

It does use StarForce. However, the available no-cd crack works perfectly.

"nospam" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 17 May 2005 05:54:46 +0100, Madeleine Williams wrote:
>

> > "rms" <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> wrote in message
> >> Is it that bad?
> >>
> >> rms
> >>

> > Hi ....
> >
> > My understanding is that it's very good.
> > So people are probably just busy playing it rather than talking about it
> > ;-)
> >
> > Cheers.
> >
> > Mad :)
>

> No one talks about the games they're playing in here any more.
> Don't know why. Not many adventure games being released these
> days, but even when one is released... silence reigns...
> Too bad. This newsgroup used to be livelier.

Hi :)

I've managed to buy quite a few adventure games myself over the last few
months so I can't agree that "not many are being released".

Granted they aren't all by the biggies like LucasArts but there have been
some very decent ones all the same ....

www.gameboomers.com has a whole list of them :-D

Cheers.

Mad :)

Mary

"Madeleine Williams" <mad@ydbp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

> "nospam" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > On Tue, 17 May 2005 05:54:46 +0100, Madeleine Williams wrote:
> >

> > > "rms" <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> wrote in message

> > > Hi ....
> > >
> > > My understanding is that it's very good.
> > > So people are probably just busy playing it rather than talking
about it
> > > ;-)
> > >
> > > Cheers.
> > >
> > > Mad :)
> >

> > No one talks about the games they're playing in here any more.
> > Don't know why. Not many adventure games being released these
> > days, but even when one is released... silence reigns...
> > Too bad. This newsgroup used to be livelier.
>
> Hi :)
>
> I've managed to buy quite a few adventure games myself over the last
few
> months so I can't agree that "not many are being released".
>
> Granted they aren't all by the biggies like LucasArts but there have
been
> some very decent ones all the same ....
>
> www.gameboomers.com has a whole list of them :-D

Hi Mad, Thanks for referring me to the list at gameboomers. I don't
always go there. Looks like a few good games coming up that I would
like, such as Aura 2, Anacapri, Dreamfall, and Lost Paradise. I love
Benoit Sokal's artristry. I might get Still Life. Haven't decided yet. I
don't have any new games right now, so re-playing a couple of older
games. If we get more adventure games being released, it will get more
lively here like it used to be.

Mary

Colin B. wrote:
> Gsquared <ggmediaNOT@myway.com> wrote:
>
>>"rms" <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>Is it that bad?
>>>
>>>rms
>>>

>>I'm playing it (in between long bouts of Guild Wars) and think it's a well
>>done adventure title. I like the macabre theme and visceral images as well
>>as the brief nudity and coarse language. The voice acting is a bit too
>>stilted for my tastes, but not unbearable. Cutscenes are well done and help
>>to move things along. Puzzles are mostly 'been there' but still provide a
>>challenge. There are several subtle graphic niceties which are a definite
>>plus. I recommend it.
>>
>>In a nutshell -- I would classify it as Syberia meets Ripper. :^)
>

> Does the North American (esp. Canadian) release have StarForce?
>
> I remember thinking it looked great in the previews, but I won't support a
> company that uses Starforce.
>
> Colin

The North American version published by Dreamcatcher/Adventure Co.
uses StarForce.

"Mary" <not@there.com> wrote in message
> "Madeleine Williams" <mad@ydbp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> >
> > "nospam" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message

> about it

> > > No one talks about the games they're playing in here any more.
> > > Don't know why. Not many adventure games being released these
> > > days, but even when one is released... silence reigns...
> > > Too bad. This newsgroup used to be livelier.
> >
> > Hi :)
> >
> > I've managed to buy quite a few adventure games myself over the last
> few
> > months so I can't agree that "not many are being released".
> >
> > Granted they aren't all by the biggies like LucasArts but there have
> been
> > some very decent ones all the same ....
> >
> > www.gameboomers.com has a whole list of them :-D
>
> Hi Mad, Thanks for referring me to the list at gameboomers. I don't
> always go there. Looks like a few good games coming up that I would
> like, such as Aura 2, Anacapri, Dreamfall, and Lost Paradise. I love
> Benoit Sokal's artristry. I might get Still Life. Haven't decided yet. I
> don't have any new games right now, so re-playing a couple of older
> games. If we get more adventure games being released, it will get more
> lively here like it used to be.
>
> Mary

Hi Mary :)

I find Gameboomers to be a really excellent site all round !!

Lots of very pleasant members - and loads of help and information :-D

Cheers.

Mad :)

ls

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Op Wed, 18 May 2005 04:29:51 +0100 schreef "Madeleine Williams"
<mad@ydbp.freeserve.co.uk>:

>"Mary" <not@there.com> wrote in message
>> "Madeleine Williams" <mad@ydbp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "nospam" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message

>> about it

>> > Hi :)
>> >
>> > I've managed to buy quite a few adventure games myself over the last
>> few
>> > months so I can't agree that "not many are being released".
>> >
>> > Granted they aren't all by the biggies like LucasArts but there have
>> been
>> > some very decent ones all the same ....
>> >
>> > www.gameboomers.com has a whole list of them :-D
>>
>> Hi Mad, Thanks for referring me to the list at gameboomers. I don't
>> always go there. Looks like a few good games coming up that I would
>> like, such as Aura 2, Anacapri, Dreamfall, and Lost Paradise. I love
>> Benoit Sokal's artristry. I might get Still Life. Haven't decided yet. I
>> don't have any new games right now, so re-playing a couple of older
>> games. If we get more adventure games being released, it will get more
>> lively here like it used to be.
>>
>> Mary
>
>Hi Mary :)
>
>I find Gameboomers to be a really excellent site all round !!
>
>Lots of very pleasant members - and loads of help and information :-D

Yes. True. People are always very helpful.

Also a sometimes scary us-versus-them mentality. And lots of
repression. Stifling. Big-sister-watching-you type of management.
Biased mods. Very easy to get yourself banned without any explanation,
which is a great shock to people who have been a valued member for
years and suddenly find themselfves out on their ear, emails
unanswered.

I know what you're thinking... :)
No, I'm not talking about myself. I went out with a bang when a friend
of mine had been banned and I'd had enough of the mods' hyocrisy.

"LS" <here!@> wrote in message
> Op Wed, 18 May 2005 04:29:51 +0100 schreef "Madeleine Williams"
> <mad@ydbp.freeserve.co.uk>:
>

> >"Mary" <not@there.com> wrote in message
> >> "Madeleine Williams" <mad@ydbp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

> >> about it

> >> few

> >> been

> >> Hi Mad, Thanks for referring me to the list at gameboomers. I don't
> >> always go there. Looks like a few good games coming up that I would
> >> like, such as Aura 2, Anacapri, Dreamfall, and Lost Paradise. I love
> >> Benoit Sokal's artristry. I might get Still Life. Haven't decided yet.
> >> don't have any new games right now, so re-playing a couple of older
> >> games. If we get more adventure games being released, it will get more
> >> lively here like it used to be.
> >>
> >> Mary
> >
> >Hi Mary :)
> >
> >I find Gameboomers to be a really excellent site all round !!
> >
> >Lots of very pleasant members - and loads of help and information :-D
>
> Yes. True. People are always very helpful.
>
> Also a sometimes scary us-versus-them mentality. And lots of
> repression. Stifling. Big-sister-watching-you type of management.
> Biased mods. Very easy to get yourself banned without any explanation,
> which is a great shock to people who have been a valued member for
> years and suddenly find themselfves out on their ear, emails
> unanswered.
>
> I know what you're thinking... :)
> No, I'm not talking about myself. I went out with a bang when a friend
> of mine had been banned and I'd had enough of the mods' hyocrisy.

Hi ....

I don't find it to be like that AT ALL and I have been a member for several
years. I like it there.

However, I certainly have no intention of getting into an argument over the
merits of any one site compared to another - it's a matter of personal
preference is all.

Mad :)

ls

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Op Wed, 18 May 2005 19:42:54 +0100 schreef "Madeleine Williams"
<mad@ydbp.freeserve.co.uk>:

>> >Hi Mary :)
>> >
>> >I find Gameboomers to be a really excellent site all round !!
>> >
>> >Lots of very pleasant members - and loads of help and information :-D
>>
>> Yes. True. People are always very helpful.
>>
>> Also a sometimes scary us-versus-them mentality. And lots of
>> repression. Stifling. Big-sister-watching-you type of management.
>> Biased mods. Very easy to get yourself banned without any explanation,
>> which is a great shock to people who have been a valued member for
>> years and suddenly find themselfves out on their ear, emails
>> unanswered.
>>
>> I know what you're thinking... :)
>> No, I'm not talking about myself. I went out with a bang when a friend
>> of mine had been banned and I'd had enough of the mods' hyocrisy.
>
>Hi ....
>
>I don't find it to be like that AT ALL and I have been a member for several
>years. I like it there.

I know you do. A lot of people like it there, or the site wouldn't
exist.

>However, I certainly have no intention of getting into an argument over the
>merits of any one site compared to another - it's a matter of personal
>preference is all.

You're the one who *recommended* a particular site, not me. Not
everybody shares your views, that's all. But since you mentioned
comparing, there's no denying Gameboomers IS the most repressive
adventure site around.

On 2005-05-17, rms <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> wrote:
> Is it that bad?
>
> rms

Just finished it, took me about 6 hours. The game is quite
nice in general terms, decent atmosphere, fantastic cutscenes,
some very reasonable riddles, but damned, above all, the
game is SHORT! I really miss oldies sometimes :)

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Still Life is a GREAT game. It was my favorite since Grim Fandango.

John

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

<johnluiz1@msn.com> wrote in message
> Still Life is a GREAT game. It was my favorite since Grim Fandango.
>
> John

I agree, it's an excellent game. Some people have criticized it for being
short but surely it's better to be left wanting more rather than struggling
to the end because you feel you have to.
I think that the ending of Still Life provides hooks for some sort of
continuation.
Nick.

Bok

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2005

Nick wrote:
> <johnluiz1@msn.com> wrote in message
>> Still Life is a GREAT game. It was my favorite since Grim Fandango.
>>
>> John
>>
> I agree, it's an excellent game. Some people have criticized it for
> being short but surely it's better to be left wanting more rather
> than struggling to the end because you feel you have to.
> I think that the ending of Still Life provides hooks for some sort of
> continuation.
> Nick.

Does it bother anyone else that you dont have control over the dialogue (no
conversation trees)?