Can two different modems be attached to same phone line

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimRock

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012
DSL user. Can two different modems (one wireless and one regular) be used at two different locations in the same house using one phone line..?

toolman0318

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012

As a general rule, the answer is no, only one modem can be on a DSL. If you need wireless, you will have to get a wireless router that will be fed by your modem. This should give you at leaset 4 wired ports and probably up to 128 wireless ports. If you try to coonnect 2 modems to the DSL line, you will probably not sync up on wither of them.

Oct 8, 2018
Ok, Ok, Ok My internet provider is already sending me a second router-modem to fix a problem I found another solution for. The wireless adapter on my second desktop in another room does not work well enough to accomplish some functions, like pulling up my electric bill account online, before it times out. If I switch the first router-modem and wire it, it'll operate just fine. I started research to figure out if I can just connect the second router-modem on it's way to the second rooms DSL line and look like's the answer is NO, but I don't get the using a wireless router to connect to the main modem. When the second router-modem arrives how do I do that. Or I have two wifi routers hanging around from a previous home's setup. How would I set one of those up to speak to the main modem and get better wireless service from a room 30 feet away?

USAFRet

Titan

Please start a whole new thread for your particular issue.
This one is 6 years old. No one besides me is likely to read it.

Status
Not open for further replies.