jakevsnake

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2002
I currenlty am using 2 sticks of Kingston KVR1066X16-8/256 (1066Mhz 256mb) rdram and I have been told by a friend that they have been recalled by Kingston due to overheating problems. I read on another post on this board that they put out a bad batch of memory. The batch number I have is 9905071-034.A01. The batch that I heard was bad is -036. I have tested my memory very thoroughly with Memtest-86 and have found now errors. I have used the memory for a couple of months without any problems so I am not too worried about it. The problems have been noted by some to occur 3-4 weeks into use according to what I have heard. Anyone else using Kingston 1066 RDRAM? I want to buy two more sticks of this memory but I dont want to get some of the bad batch.

Jake

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Well, if its been recalled then youll be unlikely to get it. And even if it is, im sure you can RMA it now that its a registered problem.

My sig's faster than yours, and it overclocks better too....

jakevsnake

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2002
I have emailed Kingston and for the past two days I have had no response. I will continue to wait and see what they have to say about it. Of course if anyone else may have some useful info I would like to hear it.

Jake

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Kingston is still a good choice because:
1. Your other choices won't allow you to overclock your memory by much, something you might want to play with at some time during the life of the system
2. The only other reliable brand in Samsung
3. You get a good warranty.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

jakevsnake

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2002
I just got a reply from Kingston regarding the rumors I heard. The tech who responded said there is no truth to the rumor that they have had problems with the RDRAM (1066mhz). I feel a little better about that. Guess I will get another couple of sticks and make it an even 1GB.

Jake

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Sounds good. I was hearing a lot of complaints when it was first introduced a couple months ago, but few recent complaints.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

srscbc

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2002
This morning a Kingston rep. told me that they had recalled their PC1066 RDRAM (not the 32ns Samsung 4200 RIMMs). They are taking orders through their resellers for replacement PC1066 RIMMs using either Toshiba or Hitachi chips. She said that certain motherboards, including the Gigabyte GA-8IHXP2 (which I just ordered yesterday!!) were not working properly with their PC1066 RIMMs using other manufacturers' chips. Unfortunately, they say that orders will not be filled for 4-6 weeks! I've heard from some that using ECC RIMMs solves the problem - if it's the chips that are bad, that doesn't make sense.

Besides waiting for a month or more for RDRAM for my new rig, are there other alternatives?

Scott
"Champagne Taste on a Beer Budget"

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Last I knew, Samsung was using 35ns chips for PC1066 and PC4200 products. I'll need to find out more about this recall you're talking about.