Legacy: Dark Shadows worth $10?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

I saw "Legacy: Dark Shadows" at a local shop for $10 US. Should I get it?

--
Ped Xing

Ped Xing wrote:
> I saw "Legacy: Dark Shadows" at a local shop for $10 US. Should I
> get it?

It's not worth $1 yen, let alone $10 US.

Pass.

Ped Xing wrote:
> I saw "Legacy: Dark Shadows" at a local shop for $10 US. Should I get it?

It's a flawed game, but, on balance, I enjoyed it. It's got the usual
translation problems, a bit of pixel hunting, and (for me) hourly
crashes. The story was good, the puzzles were easy but sensible, and
there was a good save system so the crashes didn't bother me too much.
--
David Tanguay

David Tanguay wrote:
> Ped Xing wrote:
>
>> I saw "Legacy: Dark Shadows" at a local shop for $10 US. Should I get
>> it?
>

> It's a flawed game, but, on balance, I enjoyed it. It's got the usual
> translation problems, a bit of pixel hunting, and (for me) hourly
> crashes. The story was good, the puzzles were easy but sensible, and
> there was a good save system so the crashes didn't bother me too much.

I enjoyed it too, despite the crashes.
At least the crashes were only dumps to the desktop and not
hard freezes, and the game only took a second or two to reload
(unlike other recent games I've played).
As long as you don't mind the less than perfect graphics and
voice acting, and as long as you enjoy traditional 3rd person
adventure games that aren't too difficult, it's certainly worth $10.
If you want "state of the art" with a lot of action sequences, look
elsewhere.

Jenny100 wrote:
> David Tanguay wrote:
>> Ped Xing wrote:
>>
>>> I saw "Legacy: Dark Shadows" at a local shop for $10 US. Should I
>>> get it?
>>
>> It's a flawed game, but, on balance, I enjoyed it. It's got the usual
>> translation problems, a bit of pixel hunting, and (for me) hourly
>> crashes. The story was good, the puzzles were easy but sensible, and
>> there was a good save system so the crashes didn't bother me too
>> much.
>
> I enjoyed it too, despite the crashes.
> At least the crashes were only dumps to the desktop and not
> hard freezes, and the game only took a second or two to reload
> (unlike other recent games I've played).
> As long as you don't mind the less than perfect graphics and
> voice acting, and as long as you enjoy traditional 3rd person
> adventure games that aren't too difficult, it's certainly worth $10.
> If you want "state of the art" with a lot of action sequences, look
> elsewhere.

I can't even play it because of the bugged interface. The hotspots don't
line up with the items and the initial menu has split / doubled up parts to
it. The Load screen won't load *anything* because of the alignment issues
(meaning I always had to start from the beginning each time) and "playing"
the game was a PITA because I had to remember to click down-and-to-the-right
of where I thought I really should be clicking.

I never made it out of the trenches before giving up. And seeing as how the
support forums are basically dead and no patch seems to be forthcoming, I
uninstalled it.

-craig

Katja

Distinguished
May 8, 2005
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

"Craig Hulett" <First.Last@comcast.net> wrote
> I can't even play it because of the bugged interface. The hotspots
> don't line up with the items and the initial menu has split / doubled
> up parts to it. The Load screen won't load *anything* because of the
> alignment issues (meaning I always had to start from the beginning
> each time) and "playing" the game was a PITA because I had to remember
> to click down-and-to-the-right of where I thought I really should be
> clicking.
> I never made it out of the trenches before giving up. And seeing as
> how the support forums are basically dead and no patch seems to be
> forthcoming, I uninstalled it.

Oh, that's nothing - wait until items in your inventory start
disappearing for no aparent reason forcing you to reload to get them
back. Even the main protagonist vanished once on me, now that I think
about it. And places that you can not go with no indication as to WHY
until you trigger something somewhere, we really love those don't we?

The pixel hunting was also hair pulling since the game is so dark. Plus
the voice overs were so pathetic it made me laugh out loud in more than
a few places. I also gave up about two or three hours into the game, a
complete waste of some perfectly good time.

Katja wrote:
> "Craig Hulett" <First.Last@comcast.net> wrote
>
>>I can't even play it because of the bugged interface. The hotspots
>>don't line up with the items and the initial menu has split / doubled
>>up parts to it. The Load screen won't load *anything* because of the
>>alignment issues (meaning I always had to start from the beginning
>>each time) and "playing" the game was a PITA because I had to remember
>>to click down-and-to-the-right of where I thought I really should be
>>clicking.
>>I never made it out of the trenches before giving up. And seeing as
>>how the support forums are basically dead and no patch seems to be
>>forthcoming, I uninstalled it.

There are already two patches, one for installation on
computers with XP SP2 and another for after the game is
installed. Did the patch not help?
I don't remember any problem with the hotspots not lining up
and the menu looked normal. Might have been a driver problem.

> Oh, that's nothing - wait until items in your inventory start
> disappearing for no aparent reason forcing you to reload to get them
> back.

I didn't have that problem either.

> Even the main protagonist vanished once on me, now that I think
> about it.

I've heard of people having that happen on the spaceship.
I think it was something that they decided was triggered
by the order in which you do things.

> And places that you can not go with no indication as to WHY
> until you trigger something somewhere, we really love those don't we?

Well, it's not the first game that pulled that trick, and it
won't be the last. It isn't really a bug, just questionable
design.

> The pixel hunting was also hair pulling since the game is so dark.

This one looked no darker when I played it than any other game
that has night scenes. For some reason nearly all games require
me to brighten my screen from what I normally use for my desktop.

> Plus the voice overs were so pathetic it made me laugh
> out loud in more than a few places.

No one can argue with that.
Some of the accents sounded very strange indeed.
If they had more of a budget, they could have hired
English voice actors. But it's clearly a game that was
developed on a tight budget.

> I also gave up about two or three hours into the game, a
> complete waste of some perfectly good time.

I enjoyed it, except when it booted me to the desktop.
And I didn't like the save system. I like to overwrite
saves so I don't have to click through a bazillion of
them in order to load the one I want.

I can see why people wouldn't enjoy it if they encountered
all those bugs. But I just didn't see them - except for
being booted to the desktop.

Jenny100 wrote:
>> "Craig Hulett" wrote
>>
>>> I can't even play it because of the bugged interface. The hotspots
>>> don't line up with the items and the initial menu has split /
>>> doubled up parts to it. The Load screen won't load *anything*
>>> because of the alignment issues (meaning I always had to start from
>>> the beginning each time) and "playing" the game was a PITA because
>>> I had to remember to click down-and-to-the-right of where I thought
>>> I really should be clicking.
>>> I never made it out of the trenches before giving up. And seeing as
>>> how the support forums are basically dead and no patch seems to be
>>> forthcoming, I uninstalled it.
>
> There are already two patches, one for installation on
> computers with XP SP2 and another for after the game is
> installed. Did the patch not help?
> I don't remember any problem with the hotspots not lining up
> and the menu looked normal. Might have been a driver problem.

Nope - didn't need the first patch and the second one didn't help at all.
I'm sure it was driver / video card related as other people with the same
card (GeForce 6800 GT) reported the same or very similar issues. I went
through several iterations of recent Nvidia drivers without any change in
behaviour and I wasn't willing to roll back to ancient drivers. No word if
that would have helped, anyway. I even sent in, per their instructions, the
'diagnostic' information they generated for customer support purposes but
never heard a peep back either via email or their support forum.

I may reinstall it if another patch ever surfaces but it's literally
unplayable for me now.

-craig

[snip]

Craig Hulett wrote:

> Nope - didn't need the first patch and the second one didn't help at all.
> I'm sure it was driver / video card related as other people with the same
> card (GeForce 6800 GT) reported the same or very similar issues. I went
> through several iterations of recent Nvidia drivers without any change in
> behaviour and I wasn't willing to roll back to ancient drivers. No word if
> that would have helped, anyway.

I wouldn't know, since I don't have a 6800 GT.
I played it with a Geforce FX 5700 and I'm sure my drivers
were not the latest. But that doesn't mean those drivers would
work with Legacy using a 6800 GT.

> I even sent in, per their instructions, the
> 'diagnostic' information they generated for customer support purposes but
> never heard a peep back either via email or their support forum.

Their support seemed really good when the game first came out.
Not so much now. Hopefully they're working on a patch for
6800 cards, but who knows.

Ped Xing wrote:
> I saw "Legacy: Dark Shadows" at a local shop for $10 US. Should I get it?

I am not familiar withis game. Is Barnabas in it?

Chris B. wrote:
> Ped Xing wrote:
>
>> I saw "Legacy: Dark Shadows" at a local shop for $10 US. Should I get
>> it?
>>
> I am not familiar withis game. Is Barnabas in it?

No. It has nothing to do with the TV show.
No vampires in it at all.

Jenny100 wrote:
> Chris B. wrote:
>
>> Ped Xing wrote:
>>
>>> I saw "Legacy: Dark Shadows" at a local shop for $10 US. Should I
>>> get it?
>>>
>> I am not familiar withis game. Is Barnabas in it?
>

> No. It has nothing to do with the TV show.
> No vampires in it at all.
No Quentin, then? :)