why can't i use 3 pc2700?

newgamer

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2001
why? I was told not to use 3 pieces of ddr333. I currently have 256 pc2700 on one of the slot. I was thinking about buying another 256 pc2700. why can't i do this?

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
Depends on the mobo. Some motherboards, and especially the early nForce mobo's, would take a performance hit when all the memory banks (or slots) were loaded. You would have more RAM, but everything would run slower because the system would underclock the RAM.

If your mobo is less than 4 months old then you probably have nothing to worry about. Also, I'm told that single sided RAM (all the chips are on one side of the RAM) are better than double sided (chips on both sides of the RAM) for correcting this problem, especially on the nForce and ABIT boards.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.

newgamer

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2001
well, i have the GA-7VRX mobo. in the user manual it say not to put three pieces of ddr333 at the same time. but can i still use two piece then?

Jeff68005

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
two pieces should be ok. My Gigabyte board is a different model GA-8IEXP but page 11 of my user board indicates that in order to use the third slot, I am allowed only one double sided stick. The other stick(S) need be single sided. Now two doulble sided works too but that makes the third slot useless due to the way they arranged the memory bank wiring.
Look in your board user manual or download the usermanual from http://www.giga-byte.com/support/support.htm

Every working computer must be improved .... or replaced ...

TRENDING THREADS