Myst 5 Trailer

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Anyone else seen it?

It looks...bad. Bloody awful, in fact. There go my hopes that Cyan
could recover the mess made by UbiSoft in the last couple of outings.

Sorry, needed to vent. Not a troll, honest.

Tom

Here, Thomas N McEwan <captaininsanity@onayamspay.uk2.net> wrote:
> Anyone else seen it?

The links I've seen are labelled "contains major spoilers", so I
haven't been following them.

> It looks...bad. Bloody awful, in fact. There go my hopes that Cyan
> could recover the mess made by UbiSoft in the last couple of outings.

Are you talking graphics, storyline, acting, ...?

--Z

*
I'm still thinking about what to put in this space.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

On Tue, 24 May 2005 15:30:32 +0000 (UTC)
Andrew Plotkin <erkyrath@eblong.com> wrote:

> Here, Thomas N McEwan <captaininsanity@onayamspay.uk2.net> wrote:
> > Anyone else seen it?
>
> The links I've seen are labelled "contains major spoilers", so I
> haven't been following them.
>
> > It looks...bad. Bloody awful, in fact. There go my hopes that Cyan
> > could recover the mess made by UbiSoft in the last couple of
> > outings.
>
> Are you talking graphics, storyline, acting, ...?

Mostly graphics, though it also had a certain je ne sais quois that just
didn't feel at all right - though I dunno, looking at the gallery
screenshots it might not be all bad... I guess I just miss Riven, and
the sheer perfection it represented.

Incidentally, anyone know if the DVD version of Riven was ever released
in the UK? I'd really like to get it, and the high quality movies &
sound that come with it.

Tom

ls

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Op Tue, 24 May 2005 17:19:09 +0100 schreef Thomas N McEwan
<captaininsanity@ONAYAMSPAY.uk2.net>:

>Anyone else seen it?

Yep. Wasn't too happy about it either.

But... have you read what RAWA wrote about it elsewhere?

Message: 4
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 11:16:17 -0700
From: Richard A. Watson <XXXXX>
Subject: Re: [TSL] Myst V End of Ages Trailer
To: The Spoilers Lyst <SpoilersLyst@thelysts.com>

<Sigh.>

I think we've been down this road several times before.

And I'm reasonably sure that I've typed this precise phrase before:

I've given up trying to understand the people in marketing.

What they seem to like and what I like don't even seem to be in the
same universe.

Disclaimers:

* We (Cyan) did not make the trailer.
* If we had made it, it would have been different.
* Some of our input was disregarded.
* Our technology was not used to make the trailer.
* The footage in the trailer was not captured from the game itself.

On May 12, 2005, at 8:59 PM, Joseph Davies wrote:

> About the only complaint I have about what I see in that trailer is
> the 10-years-old CG human.

Yeah, I didn't even recognize that guy. He was loosely based on a
character in the game, but I believe that our real-time 3D characters
look better than their pre-rendered guy.

If you've kept up on the articles that have been written, you'll
already have read the comments about our characters. One article
explained: "the facial animations were filmed and superimposed on the
polygonal models. Consequently, the effect seems expressive and
lifelike, even at this early stage."

Obviously, they didn't use our technology for the CG guy in the
trailer.

> It reminds me of the attempts of the late Sierra or Ultima 9 at CG
> humans. I mean, surely we've been spoiled by some awesome stuff in
> recent years, but still I think this only reinforces your assertion.
> If you can't make it look terrific in pre-rendered CG, then why not go
> live-action?

Unlike the trailer, nothing in the game is pre-rendered. The game is
completely done in real-time 3D. Live-action simply would not work
well.

> Oh well, I'm sure it won't detract terribly from my enjoyment of the
> game, but I'm concerned that the dated CG will hinder sales.

It is very unfortunate that this trailer will give people the wrong
impression of what the characters in the game will be like. When you
see the actual character in the game itself, I think you'll
agree that he bears very little resemblance to what was shown in the
trailer.

But never fear: I've been assured that 95% of people who see the
trailer are going to love it the way it is.

So there are only a few of us who don't like it, and we're just
entirely too picky, I guess.

To each his/her own.

RAWA

PS - _Everyone_ knows that the Bahro have _blue_ eyes...

ls

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Op Tue, 24 May 2005 17:42:45 +0100 schreef Thomas N McEwan
<captaininsanity@ONAYAMSPAY.uk2.net>:

>On Tue, 24 May 2005 15:30:32 +0000 (UTC)
>Andrew Plotkin <erkyrath@eblong.com> wrote:
>
>> Here, Thomas N McEwan <captaininsanity@onayamspay.uk2.net> wrote:
>> > Anyone else seen it?
>>
>> The links I've seen are labelled "contains major spoilers", so I
>> haven't been following them.
>>
>> > It looks...bad. Bloody awful, in fact. There go my hopes that Cyan
>> > could recover the mess made by UbiSoft in the last couple of
>> > outings.
>>
>> Are you talking graphics, storyline, acting, ...?
>

>Mostly graphics, though it also had a certain je ne sais quois that just
>didn't feel at all right - though I dunno, looking at the gallery
>screenshots it might not be all bad... I guess I just miss Riven, and
>the sheer perfection it represented.
>
>Incidentally, anyone know if the DVD version of Riven was ever released
>in the UK? I'd really like to get it, and the high quality movies &
>sound that come with it.

I don't know if it's available in the UK, but you can get the "Myst
10th Anniversary DVD Edition" in many online shops and on ebay: Myst
Masterpiece, Riven and Exile on DVD, XP compatible. Not expensive,
about 10-14 dollars.

"LS" <here!@> wrote in message
> [...]
> completely done in real-time 3D. Live-action simply would not work
> well.
>
>> Oh well, I'm sure it won't detract terribly from my enjoyment of the
>> game, but I'm concerned that the dated CG will hinder sales.
>
> It is very unfortunate that this trailer will give people the wrong
> impression of what the characters in the game will be like. When you
> see the actual character in the game itself, I think you'll
> agree that he bears very little resemblance to what was shown in the
> trailer.
>

> But never fear: I've been assured that 95% of people who see the
> trailer are going to love it the way it is.
>
> So there are only a few of us who don't like it, and we're just
> entirely too picky, I guess.
>
> To each his/her own.
>
> RAWA
>
> PS - _Everyone_ knows that the Bahro have _blue_ eyes...

That encouraging, however while I recognise it is very difficult to
integrate video clips of actors into a interactive 3D environment, I still
can't help feeling slightly disappointed with the use of CG character models
over of the real actors; I was especially looking forward to see Rand Miller
finish of the series as Atrus

Hopefully the overall game will make up for it...
____
NL

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Yes, I was shocked too watching the puppet in the trailer, and the
backgrounds were awful compared too Myst Revelation (watch the grass
for instance in the trailer). I wondered too (again) about "End of
Ages". Anyone know what's the reason this one is announced as the
last Myst? Can't figure out a good reason for it. Why not leave I
open ended, if you don't want to make sequels any more; in that case
fans can still have their illusion. Of course the fans weren't
consulted (as they are only the stuff that pays for the games over the
years).

NL wrote:
> [...]
>>trailer.
>>

>>But never fear: I've been assured that 95% of people who see the
>>trailer are going to love it the way it is.
>>
>>So there are only a few of us who don't like it, and we're just
>>entirely too picky, I guess.
>>
>>To each his/her own.
>>
>>RAWA
>>
>>PS - _Everyone_ knows that the Bahro have _blue_ eyes...
>>
>>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>

> That encouraging, however while I recognise it is very difficult to
> integrate video clips of actors into a interactive 3D environment, I still
> can't help feeling slightly disappointed with the use of CG character models
> over of the real actors; I was especially looking forward to see Rand Miller
> finish of the series as Atrus
>
> Hopefully the overall game will make up for it...

The 3 "in-game footage" trailers here are much better
http://www.mystobsession.com/?page=Movies

I don't think they're spoilers any more than screenshots
are spoilers.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Maybe the next Myst will be a prequel.

Jay Pieace

slob@dolfijn.nl wrote:
> Yes, I was shocked too watching the puppet in the trailer, and the
> backgrounds were awful compared too Myst Revelation (watch the grass
> for instance in the trailer). I wondered too (again) about "End of
> Ages". Anyone know what's the reason this one is announced as the
> last Myst? Can't figure out a good reason for it. Why not leave I
> open ended, if you don't want to make sequels any more; in that case
> fans can still have their illusion. Of course the fans weren't
> consulted (as they are only the stuff that pays for the games over the
> years).

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Yes, you are right of course:
Myst: The Return of the Ages!

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

LOVED Uru, hated Revelations...way way too hard. Also hated the old school
"jumping" between nodes, which made it impossible to navigate some of the
grassy areas where the paths weren't clear. It was gorgeous to look at, but
I spent a half an hour trying to navigate the world with the streams and
machinery and too-identical rock columns...having to continually jump back
and forth to get my bearings to figure out the geography, and I just gave
up.

If only they'd make the game with Uru's 3d engine and the expansiveness of
the geography of World of Warcraft...I'd be happy.

#5: End of Ages looks to be a different engine, basically astraddle Myst 4
and Uru...still node based, but every move actually is rendered so it might
*seem* 3d. It's also got some Uru-looking architecture, so it might be
interesting.

"Jason Travis" <jayctravis@yahoo.c> wrote in message
> LOVED Uru, hated Revelations...way way too hard. Also hated the old
> school "jumping" between nodes, which made it impossible to navigate some
> of the grassy areas where the paths weren't clear. It was gorgeous to
> look at, but I spent a half an hour trying to navigate the world with the
> streams and machinery and too-identical rock columns...having to
> continually jump back and forth to get my bearings to figure out the
> geography, and I just gave up.
>
> If only they'd make the game with Uru's 3d engine and the expansiveness of
> the geography of World of Warcraft...I'd be happy.
>
> #5: End of Ages looks to be a different engine, basically astraddle Myst 4
> and Uru...still node based, but every move actually is rendered so it
> might *seem* 3d. It's also got some Uru-looking architecture, so it might
> be interesting.

There will be two modes of movement. Node based 3D or free roam. There has
been in-game footage for both.

Wish

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
Thanks for the response RAWA.

Played the game. Great game.

However, the use of CG characters over filmed actors seriously dampened my appreciation of the environment. It just didn't seem *real* anymore.

The strength of the previous MYST games was the immersion you felt. The illusion that you actually could be there was heightened by real people interacting with the CG environment. Without that essential link to the real world, no matter how good the graphics, it simply cannot compete with MYST, RIVEN, EXILE, and REVELATION.

Sad that new technology usurped the small, yet vital connection that would have truly continued the MYST success.

Good technology. Poor choice.