SWITCH AND PORT NAMING..PLEASE HELP

I have a Planet GSW-2401, 24 port Ethernet switch hooked up to an Dlink DES-1024D switch(In the server room).. I'm still learning about networks :sol: and I would like to know how do I find out what computer is connected to which switch and what the port number would be :heink: .. In the end I will have to name each LAN cable with a sticker and say what computer is connected there..???? There is a guy that is supposed to show me how to do it but he is so lazy he never comes by :fou:
3 answers Last reply
More about switch port naming please help
  1. Have you looked into any network mapping software. Google for some. Here is one to get you started.

http://www.intermapper.com/products/
  2. Can't be done with your equipment. All your switches are unmanged which means you cannot log into them or access them via network.
  3. You mentioned your switch make/models, but do you have a patch panel?

If yes, label each patch panel port: (D01, D02, D03, etc) "D=Data

then on your wallplate (or network cable end) label it the same number (D01 patch panel port = D01 wallplate or cable end)

Does this help?

You can do "non-like" naming schemes if you switch cables and ports.
    patch panel port: P01, P02, P03, etc
    wallplate or cable end: D01, D02, D03, etc

You can create a spreadsheet to show your port mapping and more details like PC and user names. This might be a good solution for a smaller network group.
Ask a new question

Read More

Routers Ethernet Switch Switch Computers Networking