Why no Co-op Adventure games??

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

My wife and I love playing cooperative role-playing and strategy games --
like Sacred, Dungeon Siege, Diablo II, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale,
Darkstone, HOMM3...and some of the earlier more action-oriented games like
Heretic 2 and Hexen 2. And, we both love adventure games - Longest Journey,
the Gabriel Knight series, the Zork series, etc. We just can't understand
why there can't be a good story-based adventure game that can be played
cooperatively (I think one of the Zork games may have had this feature -
Zork Nemesis maybe??). We know many couples who actually enjoy playing PC
games together, but don't want to play in the MMORPG realm...or PVP. So why
can't someone develop a good Adventure game that can be played cooperatively
over a LAN?

Best,
Marshall
11 answers Last reply
More about adventure games
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    "Marshall" <marshall@idea.lvcoxmail.com> once tried to test me with:

    > My wife and I love playing cooperative role-playing and strategy games
    > -- like Sacred, Dungeon Siege, Diablo II, Baldur's Gate, Icewind
    > Dale, Darkstone, HOMM3...and some of the earlier more action-oriented
    > games like Heretic 2 and Hexen 2. And, we both love adventure games -
    > Longest Journey, the Gabriel Knight series, the Zork series, etc. We
    > just can't understand why there can't be a good story-based adventure
    > game that can be played cooperatively (I think one of the Zork games
    > may have had this feature - Zork Nemesis maybe??). We know many
    > couples who actually enjoy playing PC games together, but don't want
    > to play in the MMORPG realm...or PVP. So why can't someone develop a
    > good Adventure game that can be played cooperatively over a LAN?

    What exactly would co-op adventuring be? I mean, most adventures are point
    and click solving puzzles. Other than having 2 people in front of one
    screen working out the puzzles and taking turns "driving" what exactly
    would you want in a co-op adventure?

    BTW, the Zork game you are thinking of was Zork: Grand Inquisitor.

    Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    Here, Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> wrote:
    > "Marshall" <marshall@idea.lvcoxmail.com> once tried to test me with:
    >
    > > My wife and I love playing cooperative role-playing and strategy games
    > > -- like Sacred, Dungeon Siege, Diablo II, Baldur's Gate, Icewind
    > > Dale, Darkstone, HOMM3...and some of the earlier more action-oriented
    > > games like Heretic 2 and Hexen 2. And, we both love adventure games -
    > > Longest Journey, the Gabriel Knight series, the Zork series, etc. We
    > > just can't understand why there can't be a good story-based adventure
    > > game that can be played cooperatively (I think one of the Zork games
    > > may have had this feature - Zork Nemesis maybe??). We know many
    > > couples who actually enjoy playing PC games together, but don't want
    > > to play in the MMORPG realm...or PVP. So why can't someone develop a
    > > good Adventure game that can be played cooperatively over a LAN?
    >
    > What exactly would co-op adventuring be? I mean, most adventures are point
    > and click solving puzzles. Other than having 2 people in front of one
    > screen working out the puzzles and taking turns "driving" what exactly
    > would you want in a co-op adventure?

    Chatting, pointing at stuff and saying "Ooh! Look at that!" I enjoy
    that, although I rarely have a chance to hang out with a fellow
    adventure fan and *do* it. Plus: adventure puzzles generally benefit
    from two pairs of eyes. The challenge is (supposed to be) absorbing
    the environment, not clicking the mouse.

    > BTW, the Zork game you are thinking of was Zork: Grand Inquisitor.

    And the feature obviously didn't take off. I still wish it was
    available in more games as an extra, though.

    --Z

    *
    I'm still thinking about what to put in this space.
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    I wasn't thinking about the total puzzle-driven adventure games, but more of
    the plot-driven, whodunit type games....like Sierra's old Hero's Quest
    series, the Tex Murphy series, Roger Wilco series, Discworld Noir, etc.

    "Knight37" <knight37m@email.com> wrote in message
    > "Marshall" <marshall@idea.lvcoxmail.com> once tried to test me with:
    >
    >> My wife and I love playing cooperative role-playing and strategy games
    >> -- like Sacred, Dungeon Siege, Diablo II, Baldur's Gate, Icewind
    >> Dale, Darkstone, HOMM3...and some of the earlier more action-oriented
    >> games like Heretic 2 and Hexen 2. And, we both love adventure games -
    >> Longest Journey, the Gabriel Knight series, the Zork series, etc. We
    >> just can't understand why there can't be a good story-based adventure
    >> game that can be played cooperatively (I think one of the Zork games
    >> may have had this feature - Zork Nemesis maybe??). We know many
    >> couples who actually enjoy playing PC games together, but don't want
    >> to play in the MMORPG realm...or PVP. So why can't someone develop a
    >> good Adventure game that can be played cooperatively over a LAN?
    >
    > What exactly would co-op adventuring be? I mean, most adventures are point
    > and click solving puzzles. Other than having 2 people in front of one
    > screen working out the puzzles and taking turns "driving" what exactly
    > would you want in a co-op adventure?
    >
    > BTW, the Zork game you are thinking of was Zork: Grand Inquisitor.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Knight37 - http://knightgames.blogspot.com
    >
    > Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    Suddenly, Marshall sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
    > My wife and I love playing cooperative role-playing and strategy games --
    > like Sacred, Dungeon Siege, Diablo II, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale,
    > Darkstone, HOMM3...and some of the earlier more action-oriented games like
    > Heretic 2 and Hexen 2. And, we both love adventure games - Longest Journey,
    > the Gabriel Knight series, the Zork series, etc. We just can't understand
    > why there can't be a good story-based adventure game that can be played
    > cooperatively (I think one of the Zork games may have had this feature -

    Sounds like you were in the market for Uru - multiplayer online
    cooperative gaming. Which unfortunately failed, but for various reasons
    not all related to the [real] market.
    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and

    "Marshall" <marshall@idea.lvcoxmail.com> once tried to test me with:

    > I wasn't thinking about the total puzzle-driven adventure games, but
    > more of the plot-driven, whodunit type games....like Sierra's old
    > Hero's Quest series, the Tex Murphy series, Roger Wilco series,
    > Discworld Noir, etc.

    I think you might try a good co-op RPG, such as Neverwinter Nights, since
    these offer "adventure" within a co-op gameplay.

    Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    Marshall wrote:
    > My wife and I love playing cooperative role-playing and strategy games --
    > like Sacred, Dungeon Siege, Diablo II, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale,
    > Darkstone, HOMM3...and some of the earlier more action-oriented games like
    > Heretic 2 and Hexen 2. And, we both love adventure games - Longest Journey,
    > the Gabriel Knight series, the Zork series, etc. We just can't understand
    > why there can't be a good story-based adventure game that can be played
    > cooperatively (I think one of the Zork games may have had this feature -
    > Zork Nemesis maybe??). We know many couples who actually enjoy playing PC
    > games together, but don't want to play in the MMORPG realm...or PVP. So why
    > can't someone develop a good Adventure game that can be played cooperatively
    > over a LAN?

    Oh man, you sound just like me and my wife. We actually started out
    exclusively playing adventure games together: Longest Journey, Gabriel
    Knight, all the LucasArts and Cryo games, but grew increasingly annoyed
    by the setup- one person 'drives' while the other sits to the side and
    watches... to say nothing of the fact that it was kind of uncomfortable
    crowding around the monitor at my wife's desk.

    We got into console games because there were a number that offered
    co-op play, and we could play them from the comfort of our couch... but
    this meant a transition to action-oriented gaming rather than the
    generally more forgiving, at-your-own-pace nature of most adventure
    games. Some co-op games we enjoyed on various consoles: Gauntlet Dark
    Legends, Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance (I and II), Dungeons and Dragons
    Heroes

    We now both have wireless laptops that can plug into the television, so
    we never have to crowd around the desktop anymore. We played both
    Syberia II and Broken Sword III on the TV even though we had the PC
    version of those games... and we used a game controller instead of
    keyboard/mouse. But still, after being so used to actually playing
    together like we could on the console games, we were left wanting more.

    I think some of the other posters have a point- how would a traditional
    adventure game translate to 2-player? Would the extra player actually
    have a purpose? In action games, more players usually means more
    firepower and/or players can choose different powers/specialties that
    complement each other. In adventure games it's generally about
    completing dialog trees, finding/using inventory items, and solving
    puzzles... all things that are probably more easily accomplished by a
    single character in the game.

    Now some multiplayer action games have puzzles that actually require
    each player to do something different- that element would translate
    well to an adventure game, but like someone else said, it would have to
    be a special feature so as not to ruin the single-player game.

    After having exhausted the interesting co-op console titles, my wife
    and I moved back to the PC, this time playing multiplayer games over
    our wireless network. First we did Neverwinter Nights (the original
    campaign) and now we're on World of Warcraft. I've got to say, we're
    really having a blast now, even though just a year ago both of us
    scoffed at online games. In WoW, at least, we really can play just as
    a duo, occasionally assisting other players or requesting assistance
    ourselves. It's very different from the old point-n-click days, but
    it's been fulfilling just the same.

    Note: I bought 2 copies of Dungeon Siege so we could play that
    together, but I was very disappointed by the multiplayer
    implementation. You can't save multiplayer games, and you can't have
    other party members or pack mules!!! I REALLY hope they changed this
    in Dungeon Siege II, to make it more like Neverwinter which retains all
    of the game's capabilities in single and multiplayer modes.
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> wrote:
    >"Marshall" <marshall@idea.lvcoxmail.com> once tried to test me with:
    >
    >> My wife and I love playing cooperative role-playing and strategy games
    >> -- like Sacred, Dungeon Siege, Diablo II, Baldur's Gate, Icewind
    >> Dale, Darkstone, HOMM3...and some of the earlier more action-oriented
    >> games like Heretic 2 and Hexen 2. And, we both love adventure games -
    >> Longest Journey, the Gabriel Knight series, the Zork series, etc. We
    >> just can't understand why there can't be a good story-based adventure
    >> game that can be played cooperatively (I think one of the Zork games
    >> may have had this feature - Zork Nemesis maybe??). We know many
    >> couples who actually enjoy playing PC games together, but don't want
    >> to play in the MMORPG realm...or PVP. So why can't someone develop a
    >> good Adventure game that can be played cooperatively over a LAN?
    >
    >What exactly would co-op adventuring be? I mean, most adventures are point
    >and click solving puzzles. Other than having 2 people in front of one
    >screen working out the puzzles and taking turns "driving" what exactly
    >would you want in a co-op adventure?
    >
    >BTW, the Zork game you are thinking of was Zork: Grand Inquisitor.

    Multiple characters. Across LAN or internet. Hotseat multiplayer doesn't
    exist any more because it's stupid. Each character would have different
    abilities that allow them to solve different puzzles. It would be a bit
    like 2 seperate adventure games being played concurrently. The
    characters could split up but still coordinate their actions to solve
    some puzzles. It's been suggested before but adventure gamers hate the
    idea because they don't have girlfriends to play with.
  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> wrote:
    >"Marshall" <marshall@idea.lvcoxmail.com> once tried to test me with:
    >
    >> My wife and I love playing cooperative role-playing and strategy games
    >> -- like Sacred, Dungeon Siege, Diablo II, Baldur's Gate, Icewind
    >> Dale, Darkstone, HOMM3...and some of the earlier more action-oriented
    >> games like Heretic 2 and Hexen 2. And, we both love adventure games -
    >> Longest Journey, the Gabriel Knight series, the Zork series, etc. We
    >> just can't understand why there can't be a good story-based adventure
    >> game that can be played cooperatively (I think one of the Zork games
    >> may have had this feature - Zork Nemesis maybe??). We know many
    >> couples who actually enjoy playing PC games together, but don't want
    >> to play in the MMORPG realm...or PVP. So why can't someone develop a
    >> good Adventure game that can be played cooperatively over a LAN?
    >
    >What exactly would co-op adventuring be? I mean, most adventures are point
    >and click solving puzzles. Other than having 2 people in front of one
    >screen working out the puzzles and taking turns "driving" what exactly
    >would you want in a co-op adventure?
    >
    >BTW, the Zork game you are thinking of was Zork: Grand Inquisitor.

    Oh yeah all that character interaction (like the flirting in Indy
    Atlantis) would be way better if it was a real chick controlling her.
  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    Josh, despite some bad reviews, you and your wife should try Sacred,
    especially with the Sacred Plus and Underworld add-ons. We've been playinig
    this game for months now, and still enjoying it. We only have time to play
    about 30-40 minutes maybe every other night...which is why it's taken us so
    long. We did have to re-start a couple of times when the game wasn't stable
    (plus I had a hard disk error), but it's been lots of fun. We're not
    especially patient, so we hate waiting for the other player to get through
    long dialogue trees (we started NWN then quit), and we generally prefer
    something more like Dungeon Siege. We also enjoyed playing as a team in
    HOMM3 -- turn-based, but still a real feeling of teamwork.

    Best,
    Marshall

    "Josh Mayfield" <ultibloo-usenet@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > our wireless network. First we did Neverwinter Nights (the original
    > campaign) and now we're on World of Warcraft. I've got to say, we're
    > really having a blast now, even though just a year ago both of us
    > scoffed at online games. In WoW, at least, we really can play just as
    > a duo, occasionally assisting other players or requesting assistance
    > ourselves. It's very different from the old point-n-click days, but
    > it's been fulfilling just the same.
    >
    > Note: I bought 2 copies of Dungeon Siege so we could play that
    > together, but I was very disappointed by the multiplayer
    > implementation. You can't save multiplayer games, and you can't have
    > other party members or pack mules!!! I REALLY hope they changed this
    > in Dungeon Siege II, to make it more like Neverwinter which retains all
    > of the game's capabilities in single and multiplayer modes.

  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    Marshall wrote:
    > Josh, despite some bad reviews, you and your wife should try Sacred,
    > especially with the Sacred Plus and Underworld add-ons...

    Oh, just saw this. You know I actually own (and like) Sacred. I
    completed the single-player campaign, and may well get Underworld. I
    knew it had multiplayer, but for some reason I thought it was just PvP-
    if that's not the case it may indeed be a good choice for us. Thanks.
  11. Hi, we recommend "Project Eden"

    Project Eden is a video game for the PC and PlayStation 2 released in 2001. It is a hybrid between first- and third-person shooter with an emphasis on teamwork and puzzle solving over combat. Players switch between control of four UPA (Urban Protection Agency) agents, each with their own special abilities,

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Eden

    We bought two copies cheap installed latest patch and followed multiplayer instructions in the manual. We got it working on a Win7 laptop and XP PC in the same room but connected over internet.
    Had to run game & then come out by pressing 'windows button' on keyboard to respond to security message about 'network sharing' or something.. after that it worked fine.

    Great fun co-op play, lots and lots of clever & logical puzzles, plently of online walkthroughs and youtube vids if you get stuck.

    Enjoy!

    Mike and Roz

PC gaming Games Video Games