Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Why no Co-op Adventure games??

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 8:11:52 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

My wife and I love playing cooperative role-playing and strategy games --
like Sacred, Dungeon Siege, Diablo II, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale,
Darkstone, HOMM3...and some of the earlier more action-oriented games like
Heretic 2 and Hexen 2. And, we both love adventure games - Longest Journey,
the Gabriel Knight series, the Zork series, etc. We just can't understand
why there can't be a good story-based adventure game that can be played
cooperatively (I think one of the Zork games may have had this feature -
Zork Nemesis maybe??). We know many couples who actually enjoy playing PC
games together, but don't want to play in the MMORPG realm...or PVP. So why
can't someone develop a good Adventure game that can be played cooperatively
over a LAN?

Best,
Marshall

More about : adventure games

Anonymous
May 28, 2005 6:22:58 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

"Marshall" <marshall@idea.lvcoxmail.com> once tried to test me with:

> My wife and I love playing cooperative role-playing and strategy games
> -- like Sacred, Dungeon Siege, Diablo II, Baldur's Gate, Icewind
> Dale, Darkstone, HOMM3...and some of the earlier more action-oriented
> games like Heretic 2 and Hexen 2. And, we both love adventure games -
> Longest Journey, the Gabriel Knight series, the Zork series, etc. We
> just can't understand why there can't be a good story-based adventure
> game that can be played cooperatively (I think one of the Zork games
> may have had this feature - Zork Nemesis maybe??). We know many
> couples who actually enjoy playing PC games together, but don't want
> to play in the MMORPG realm...or PVP. So why can't someone develop a
> good Adventure game that can be played cooperatively over a LAN?

What exactly would co-op adventuring be? I mean, most adventures are point
and click solving puzzles. Other than having 2 people in front of one
screen working out the puzzles and taking turns "driving" what exactly
would you want in a co-op adventure?

BTW, the Zork game you are thinking of was Zork: Grand Inquisitor.

--

Knight37 - http://knightgames.blogspot.com

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 6:35:03 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Here, Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> wrote:
> "Marshall" <marshall@idea.lvcoxmail.com> once tried to test me with:
>
> > My wife and I love playing cooperative role-playing and strategy games
> > -- like Sacred, Dungeon Siege, Diablo II, Baldur's Gate, Icewind
> > Dale, Darkstone, HOMM3...and some of the earlier more action-oriented
> > games like Heretic 2 and Hexen 2. And, we both love adventure games -
> > Longest Journey, the Gabriel Knight series, the Zork series, etc. We
> > just can't understand why there can't be a good story-based adventure
> > game that can be played cooperatively (I think one of the Zork games
> > may have had this feature - Zork Nemesis maybe??). We know many
> > couples who actually enjoy playing PC games together, but don't want
> > to play in the MMORPG realm...or PVP. So why can't someone develop a
> > good Adventure game that can be played cooperatively over a LAN?
>
> What exactly would co-op adventuring be? I mean, most adventures are point
> and click solving puzzles. Other than having 2 people in front of one
> screen working out the puzzles and taking turns "driving" what exactly
> would you want in a co-op adventure?

Chatting, pointing at stuff and saying "Ooh! Look at that!" I enjoy
that, although I rarely have a chance to hang out with a fellow
adventure fan and *do* it. Plus: adventure puzzles generally benefit
from two pairs of eyes. The challenge is (supposed to be) absorbing
the environment, not clicking the mouse.

> BTW, the Zork game you are thinking of was Zork: Grand Inquisitor.

And the feature obviously didn't take off. I still wish it was
available in more games as an extra, though.

--Z

"And Aholibamah bare Jeush, and Jaalam, and Korah: these were the borogoves..."
*
I'm still thinking about what to put in this space.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 6:41:47 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

I wasn't thinking about the total puzzle-driven adventure games, but more of
the plot-driven, whodunit type games....like Sierra's old Hero's Quest
series, the Tex Murphy series, Roger Wilco series, Discworld Noir, etc.

"Knight37" <knight37m@email.com> wrote in message
news:Xns9663D98576F12knight37m@130.133.1.4...
> "Marshall" <marshall@idea.lvcoxmail.com> once tried to test me with:
>
>> My wife and I love playing cooperative role-playing and strategy games
>> -- like Sacred, Dungeon Siege, Diablo II, Baldur's Gate, Icewind
>> Dale, Darkstone, HOMM3...and some of the earlier more action-oriented
>> games like Heretic 2 and Hexen 2. And, we both love adventure games -
>> Longest Journey, the Gabriel Knight series, the Zork series, etc. We
>> just can't understand why there can't be a good story-based adventure
>> game that can be played cooperatively (I think one of the Zork games
>> may have had this feature - Zork Nemesis maybe??). We know many
>> couples who actually enjoy playing PC games together, but don't want
>> to play in the MMORPG realm...or PVP. So why can't someone develop a
>> good Adventure game that can be played cooperatively over a LAN?
>
> What exactly would co-op adventuring be? I mean, most adventures are point
> and click solving puzzles. Other than having 2 people in front of one
> screen working out the puzzles and taking turns "driving" what exactly
> would you want in a co-op adventure?
>
> BTW, the Zork game you are thinking of was Zork: Grand Inquisitor.
>
> --
>
> Knight37 - http://knightgames.blogspot.com
>
> Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
>
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 5:05:17 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Suddenly, Marshall sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
> My wife and I love playing cooperative role-playing and strategy games --
> like Sacred, Dungeon Siege, Diablo II, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale,
> Darkstone, HOMM3...and some of the earlier more action-oriented games like
> Heretic 2 and Hexen 2. And, we both love adventure games - Longest Journey,
> the Gabriel Knight series, the Zork series, etc. We just can't understand
> why there can't be a good story-based adventure game that can be played
> cooperatively (I think one of the Zork games may have had this feature -

Sounds like you were in the market for Uru - multiplayer online
cooperative gaming. Which unfortunately failed, but for various reasons
not all related to the [real] market.
--
aaronl at consultant dot com
For every expert, there is an equal and
opposite expert. - Arthur C. Clarke
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 4:44:01 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

"Marshall" <marshall@idea.lvcoxmail.com> once tried to test me with:

> I wasn't thinking about the total puzzle-driven adventure games, but
> more of the plot-driven, whodunit type games....like Sierra's old
> Hero's Quest series, the Tex Murphy series, Roger Wilco series,
> Discworld Noir, etc.

I think you might try a good co-op RPG, such as Neverwinter Nights, since
these offer "adventure" within a co-op gameplay.

--

Knight37 - http://knightgames.blogspot.com

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 4:59:30 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Marshall wrote:
> My wife and I love playing cooperative role-playing and strategy games --
> like Sacred, Dungeon Siege, Diablo II, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale,
> Darkstone, HOMM3...and some of the earlier more action-oriented games like
> Heretic 2 and Hexen 2. And, we both love adventure games - Longest Journey,
> the Gabriel Knight series, the Zork series, etc. We just can't understand
> why there can't be a good story-based adventure game that can be played
> cooperatively (I think one of the Zork games may have had this feature -
> Zork Nemesis maybe??). We know many couples who actually enjoy playing PC
> games together, but don't want to play in the MMORPG realm...or PVP. So why
> can't someone develop a good Adventure game that can be played cooperatively
> over a LAN?

Oh man, you sound just like me and my wife. We actually started out
exclusively playing adventure games together: Longest Journey, Gabriel
Knight, all the LucasArts and Cryo games, but grew increasingly annoyed
by the setup- one person 'drives' while the other sits to the side and
watches... to say nothing of the fact that it was kind of uncomfortable
crowding around the monitor at my wife's desk.

We got into console games because there were a number that offered
co-op play, and we could play them from the comfort of our couch... but
this meant a transition to action-oriented gaming rather than the
generally more forgiving, at-your-own-pace nature of most adventure
games. Some co-op games we enjoyed on various consoles: Gauntlet Dark
Legends, Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance (I and II), Dungeons and Dragons
Heroes

We now both have wireless laptops that can plug into the television, so
we never have to crowd around the desktop anymore. We played both
Syberia II and Broken Sword III on the TV even though we had the PC
version of those games... and we used a game controller instead of
keyboard/mouse. But still, after being so used to actually playing
together like we could on the console games, we were left wanting more.

I think some of the other posters have a point- how would a traditional
adventure game translate to 2-player? Would the extra player actually
have a purpose? In action games, more players usually means more
firepower and/or players can choose different powers/specialties that
complement each other. In adventure games it's generally about
completing dialog trees, finding/using inventory items, and solving
puzzles... all things that are probably more easily accomplished by a
single character in the game.

Now some multiplayer action games have puzzles that actually require
each player to do something different- that element would translate
well to an adventure game, but like someone else said, it would have to
be a special feature so as not to ruin the single-player game.

After having exhausted the interesting co-op console titles, my wife
and I moved back to the PC, this time playing multiplayer games over
our wireless network. First we did Neverwinter Nights (the original
campaign) and now we're on World of Warcraft. I've got to say, we're
really having a blast now, even though just a year ago both of us
scoffed at online games. In WoW, at least, we really can play just as
a duo, occasionally assisting other players or requesting assistance
ourselves. It's very different from the old point-n-click days, but
it's been fulfilling just the same.

Note: I bought 2 copies of Dungeon Siege so we could play that
together, but I was very disappointed by the multiplayer
implementation. You can't save multiplayer games, and you can't have
other party members or pack mules!!! I REALLY hope they changed this
in Dungeon Siege II, to make it more like Neverwinter which retains all
of the game's capabilities in single and multiplayer modes.
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 3:00:02 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> wrote:
>"Marshall" <marshall@idea.lvcoxmail.com> once tried to test me with:
>
>> My wife and I love playing cooperative role-playing and strategy games
>> -- like Sacred, Dungeon Siege, Diablo II, Baldur's Gate, Icewind
>> Dale, Darkstone, HOMM3...and some of the earlier more action-oriented
>> games like Heretic 2 and Hexen 2. And, we both love adventure games -
>> Longest Journey, the Gabriel Knight series, the Zork series, etc. We
>> just can't understand why there can't be a good story-based adventure
>> game that can be played cooperatively (I think one of the Zork games
>> may have had this feature - Zork Nemesis maybe??). We know many
>> couples who actually enjoy playing PC games together, but don't want
>> to play in the MMORPG realm...or PVP. So why can't someone develop a
>> good Adventure game that can be played cooperatively over a LAN?
>
>What exactly would co-op adventuring be? I mean, most adventures are point
>and click solving puzzles. Other than having 2 people in front of one
>screen working out the puzzles and taking turns "driving" what exactly
>would you want in a co-op adventure?
>
>BTW, the Zork game you are thinking of was Zork: Grand Inquisitor.

Multiple characters. Across LAN or internet. Hotseat multiplayer doesn't
exist any more because it's stupid. Each character would have different
abilities that allow them to solve different puzzles. It would be a bit
like 2 seperate adventure games being played concurrently. The
characters could split up but still coordinate their actions to solve
some puzzles. It's been suggested before but adventure gamers hate the
idea because they don't have girlfriends to play with.
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 3:00:56 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> wrote:
>"Marshall" <marshall@idea.lvcoxmail.com> once tried to test me with:
>
>> My wife and I love playing cooperative role-playing and strategy games
>> -- like Sacred, Dungeon Siege, Diablo II, Baldur's Gate, Icewind
>> Dale, Darkstone, HOMM3...and some of the earlier more action-oriented
>> games like Heretic 2 and Hexen 2. And, we both love adventure games -
>> Longest Journey, the Gabriel Knight series, the Zork series, etc. We
>> just can't understand why there can't be a good story-based adventure
>> game that can be played cooperatively (I think one of the Zork games
>> may have had this feature - Zork Nemesis maybe??). We know many
>> couples who actually enjoy playing PC games together, but don't want
>> to play in the MMORPG realm...or PVP. So why can't someone develop a
>> good Adventure game that can be played cooperatively over a LAN?
>
>What exactly would co-op adventuring be? I mean, most adventures are point
>and click solving puzzles. Other than having 2 people in front of one
>screen working out the puzzles and taking turns "driving" what exactly
>would you want in a co-op adventure?
>
>BTW, the Zork game you are thinking of was Zork: Grand Inquisitor.

Oh yeah all that character interaction (like the flirting in Indy
Atlantis) would be way better if it was a real chick controlling her.
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 4:15:50 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Josh, despite some bad reviews, you and your wife should try Sacred,
especially with the Sacred Plus and Underworld add-ons. We've been playinig
this game for months now, and still enjoying it. We only have time to play
about 30-40 minutes maybe every other night...which is why it's taken us so
long. We did have to re-start a couple of times when the game wasn't stable
(plus I had a hard disk error), but it's been lots of fun. We're not
especially patient, so we hate waiting for the other player to get through
long dialogue trees (we started NWN then quit), and we generally prefer
something more like Dungeon Siege. We also enjoyed playing as a team in
HOMM3 -- turn-based, but still a real feeling of teamwork.

Best,
Marshall

"Josh Mayfield" <ultibloo-usenet@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1117655970.061285.92370@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Marshall wrote:
>> My wife and I love playing cooperative role-playing and strategy games --
>> like Sacred, Dungeon Siege, Diablo II, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale,
>> Darkstone, HOMM3...and some of the earlier more action-oriented games
>> like
>> Heretic 2 and Hexen 2. And, we both love adventure games - Longest
>> Journey,
>> the Gabriel Knight series, the Zork series, etc. We just can't
>> understand
>> why there can't be a good story-based adventure game that can be played
>> cooperatively (I think one of the Zork games may have had this feature -
>> Zork Nemesis maybe??). We know many couples who actually enjoy playing
>> PC
>> games together, but don't want to play in the MMORPG realm...or PVP. So
>> why
>> can't someone develop a good Adventure game that can be played
>> cooperatively
>> over a LAN?
>
> Oh man, you sound just like me and my wife. We actually started out
> exclusively playing adventure games together: Longest Journey, Gabriel
> Knight, all the LucasArts and Cryo games, but grew increasingly annoyed
> by the setup- one person 'drives' while the other sits to the side and
> watches... to say nothing of the fact that it was kind of uncomfortable
> crowding around the monitor at my wife's desk.
>
> We got into console games because there were a number that offered
> co-op play, and we could play them from the comfort of our couch... but
> this meant a transition to action-oriented gaming rather than the
> generally more forgiving, at-your-own-pace nature of most adventure
> games. Some co-op games we enjoyed on various consoles: Gauntlet Dark
> Legends, Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance (I and II), Dungeons and Dragons
> Heroes
>
> We now both have wireless laptops that can plug into the television, so
> we never have to crowd around the desktop anymore. We played both
> Syberia II and Broken Sword III on the TV even though we had the PC
> version of those games... and we used a game controller instead of
> keyboard/mouse. But still, after being so used to actually playing
> together like we could on the console games, we were left wanting more.
>
> I think some of the other posters have a point- how would a traditional
> adventure game translate to 2-player? Would the extra player actually
> have a purpose? In action games, more players usually means more
> firepower and/or players can choose different powers/specialties that
> complement each other. In adventure games it's generally about
> completing dialog trees, finding/using inventory items, and solving
> puzzles... all things that are probably more easily accomplished by a
> single character in the game.
>
> Now some multiplayer action games have puzzles that actually require
> each player to do something different- that element would translate
> well to an adventure game, but like someone else said, it would have to
> be a special feature so as not to ruin the single-player game.
>
> After having exhausted the interesting co-op console titles, my wife
> and I moved back to the PC, this time playing multiplayer games over
> our wireless network. First we did Neverwinter Nights (the original
> campaign) and now we're on World of Warcraft. I've got to say, we're
> really having a blast now, even though just a year ago both of us
> scoffed at online games. In WoW, at least, we really can play just as
> a duo, occasionally assisting other players or requesting assistance
> ourselves. It's very different from the old point-n-click days, but
> it's been fulfilling just the same.
>
> Note: I bought 2 copies of Dungeon Siege so we could play that
> together, but I was very disappointed by the multiplayer
> implementation. You can't save multiplayer games, and you can't have
> other party members or pack mules!!! I REALLY hope they changed this
> in Dungeon Siege II, to make it more like Neverwinter which retains all
> of the game's capabilities in single and multiplayer modes.
>
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 7:02:10 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Marshall wrote:
> Josh, despite some bad reviews, you and your wife should try Sacred,
> especially with the Sacred Plus and Underworld add-ons...

Oh, just saw this. You know I actually own (and like) Sacred. I
completed the single-player campaign, and may well get Underworld. I
knew it had multiplayer, but for some reason I thought it was just PvP-
if that's not the case it may indeed be a good choice for us. Thanks.
October 6, 2012 8:28:44 PM

Hi, we recommend "Project Eden"

Project Eden is a video game for the PC and PlayStation 2 released in 2001. It is a hybrid between first- and third-person shooter with an emphasis on teamwork and puzzle solving over combat. Players switch between control of four UPA (Urban Protection Agency) agents, each with their own special abilities,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Eden

We bought two copies cheap installed latest patch and followed multiplayer instructions in the manual. We got it working on a Win7 laptop and XP PC in the same room but connected over internet.
Had to run game & then come out by pressing 'windows button' on keyboard to respond to security message about 'network sharing' or something.. after that it worked fine.

Great fun co-op play, lots and lots of clever & logical puzzles, plently of online walkthroughs and youtube vids if you get stuck.

Enjoy!

Mike and Roz
!