New Dreamfall screenshots - with cruft

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Here, Jenny100 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
> http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=25857&mode=thread&order=01
>
> I thought of Andrew Plotkin when I saw some of these screenshots.
> I remember him saying saying he liked a bit of cruft in his games.

Ha. I am pleased to be remembered in such a context. :)

I said that in the context of pre-rendered graphical scenes. My
standards are different in fully-3D scenes, because different things
are difficult... those are excellent rotting walls, but the textures
are repetitive and some of the environment models are simplistic.
(Inside the apartment building, in particular. The outdoor scenes are
much better.)

My standards have also shifted because I've played survival horror
games, which have just blown away the bar as far as cruft is
concerned. :)

--Z

*
I'm still thinking about what to put in this space.

Bok

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2005

Andrew Plotkin wrote:
> Here, Jenny100 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>> http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=25857&mode=thread&order=01
>>
>> I thought of Andrew Plotkin when I saw some of these screenshots.
>> I remember him saying saying he liked a bit of cruft in his games.
>
> Ha. I am pleased to be remembered in such a context. :)
>
> I said that in the context of pre-rendered graphical scenes. My
> standards are different in fully-3D scenes, because different things
> are difficult... those are excellent rotting walls, but the textures
> are repetitive and some of the environment models are simplistic.
> (Inside the apartment building, in particular. The outdoor scenes are
> much better.)
>
> My standards have also shifted because I've played survival horror
> games, which have just blown away the bar as far as cruft is
> concerned. :)
>
> --Z
>
> "And Aholibamah bare Jeush, and Jaalam, and Korah: these were the
> borogoves..." *
> I'm still thinking about what to put in this space.

Which survival horror games have you played?

Bok

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2005

Jenny100 wrote:
> http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=25857&mode=thread&order=01
>
> I thought of Andrew Plotkin when I saw some of these screenshots.
> I remember him saying saying he liked a bit of cruft in his games.
> Until now, the screenshots of Dreamfall I've seen were all sort
> of pretty. Not these. Have a look at the seamy decayed side of
> Dreamfall.

It says action-adventure, what does this mean exactly, keyboard controls? i
hope we are not gonna get another broken sword 3 type interface

Here, Bok <smithy@smithy.com> wrote:
> Andrew Plotkin wrote:
> >
> > My standards have also shifted because I've played survival horror
> > games, which have just blown away the bar as far as cruft is
> > concerned. :)
>
> Which survival horror games have you played?

All the Silent Hill games, Fatal Frame 2, Disaster Report, parts of
some others. I admit I was mostly thinking of Silent Hill. Also a
bunch of more actiony games with demons and rotting things coming out
of the walls. (It's not "survival horror" if you're the biggest badass
in the dungeon. :)

> It says action-adventure, what does this mean exactly, keyboard
> controls? i hope we are not gonna get another broken sword 3 type
> interface

I would know what it meant if the designer was coming from a
console/action background. (It would mean, basically, "You know Tomb
Raider and Prince of Persia? The good ones? We're imitating them.")

Coming from an adventure background, it means: "You know console
gamers? We're hoping to sell to that audience." Unfortunately this
isn't very informative, because they could be completely wrong about
what console gamers, or adventure gamers for that matter, want. Could
be anything from "just like TLJ1 but with confusing controls" to
"just like Tomb Raider, but with dialogue menus".

I probably won't buy it in any case. Regardless of how nice it looks.
The first TLJ really didn't work for me as an adventure game.

--Z

*
I'm still thinking about what to put in this space.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 15:43:46 +0000 (UTC)
Andrew Plotkin <erkyrath@eblong.com> wrote:

> Here, Bok <smithy@smithy.com> wrote:
> > Andrew Plotkin wrote:
> > >
> > > My standards have also shifted because I've played survival horror
> > > games, which have just blown away the bar as far as cruft is
> > > concerned. :)
> >
> > Which survival horror games have you played?
>
> All the Silent Hill games, Fatal Frame 2, Disaster Report, parts of
> some others. I admit I was mostly thinking of Silent Hill. Also a
> bunch of more actiony games with demons and rotting things coming out
> of the walls. (It's not "survival horror" if you're the biggest badass
> in the dungeon. :)

Call of Cthulhu looks pretty good from the trailer I've seen,
graphicswise at least.

Tom