Audio signal path - suggestions

I'm looking to make a really nice signal path for vocal recording.
I am trying to figure out what would be the cleanest most pristine way
to get audio into a Pro tools LE system.

Right now I am thinking about a TLM 103 or 414
into an Avalon 737 or the LA-610 Recording Channel
into an Apogee 200 A/D converter into Protools.

Am i on the right track? Am I forgetting anything? Will using the
Apogee be better than
the Digi002? Any potential issues? Does anyone use/like the Blue
Mics?

Thanks,

-Peter
4 answers Last reply
More about audio signal path suggestions

    "Peter" <outland@interport.net> wrote in message
    > I'm looking to make a really nice signal path for vocal recording.
    > I am trying to figure out what would be the cleanest most pristine way
    > to get audio into a Pro tools LE system.
    >
    > Right now I am thinking about a TLM 103 or 414
    > into an Avalon 737 or the LA-610 Recording Channel
    > into an Apogee 200 A/D converter into Protools.
    >
    > Am i on the right track? Am I forgetting anything? Will using the
    > Apogee be better than
    > the Digi002? Any potential issues? Does anyone use/like the Blue
    > Mics?

    Your electronic paths are both good, although quite different from one
    another. Your choice of microphone may be good or awful, depending on the
    voice you're planning to record. The 414 comes in two flavors, XLII and XLS.
    The first one is quite bright, the second, not so bright.

    In other words, buy from a dealer who will let you either try the
    microphones out at home, with the electronics you choose, or buy one and
    return it within a few days if it turns out not to be good for the voice you
    plan to record. If you plan to record a variety of voices, you may need a
    variety of microphones.

    Peace,
    Paul

    On 10/4/04 11:44 AM, in article
    acbb45c5.0410041044.757aadd2@posting.google.com, "Peter"
    <outland@interport.net> wrote:

    > I'm looking to make a really nice signal path for vocal recording.
    > I am trying to figure out what would be the cleanest most pristine way
    > to get audio into a Pro tools LE system.
    >
    > Right now I am thinking about a TLM 103 or 414
    > into an Avalon 737 or the LA-610 Recording Channel
    > into an Apogee 200 A/D converter into Protools.
    >
    > Am i on the right track? Am I forgetting anything? Will using the
    > Apogee be better than
    > the Digi002? Any potential issues? Does anyone use/like the Blue
    > Mics?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > -Peter

    You're on the right track. Mic, pre (channel strip), converters.

    You're not forgetting anything.

    The Apogee 200 converters are considered much better than the stock Digi002
    converters.

    No potential issues, except the gear choices.

    Other than general statements, it's impossible to comment on a particular
    mic and pres/channel strip combination for vocals. It really depends on the
    singer, style of music, etc.

    If you want "cleanest most pristine" in the $3,000 budget range (not
    including converters), you might want to research a bit more. Dunno if the
    LA-610 would fit that description, nor the TLM 103.

    You might want to consider holding off on the converter upgrade for now, and
    increase your mic/pre budget with the difference to about $5k. Then you can
    ponder some serious items. For example:

    Pres:
    Pendulum Audio Quartet
    Millenia Media SST Origin

    Mics:
    Microtech Gefell UM92.1S
    Lawson MPII w/ 47 and 251 capsules

    Just some thoughts.

    Paul Stamler wrote:

    > The 414 comes in two flavors, XLII and
    > XLS. The first one is quite bright, the second, not so bright.

    What's the scoop on these new 414s? Do they sound like the TLII & UBLS?
    Or like any of the older ones?

    On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 11:06:20 -0400, agent86 wrote
    (in article <wiy8d.20434$DV3.4080@bignews5.bellsouth.net>):

    > Paul Stamler wrote:
    >
    >> The 414 comes in two flavors, XLII and
    >> XLS. The first one is quite bright, the second, not so bright.
    >
    > What's the scoop on these new 414s? Do they sound like the TLII & UBLS?
    > Or like any of the older ones?

    My review should be in the up coming issue of PAR.

    Regards,

    Ty Ford

    stuff are at www.tyford.com

Pro Audio Audio Converter