Adventure Game engine for beginners

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

I have a basic plot ready for an adventure game and want to make it on
my own using a free / opensource adventure game engine. I checked on
adventure developers and found that the choices are too many - AGS ,
Sludge , Agast , Visionaire , WME etc .

I have no knowledge of programming and I basically want to make a game
to gift to my wife . Ofcourse I only want it to run on Win32.

Which game engine is best for absolute beginner like me ?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

technolala wrote in

> I have a basic plot ready for an adventure game and want to make
> it on my own using a free / opensource adventure game engine. I
> checked on adventure developers and found that the choices are too
> many - AGS , Sludge , Agast , Visionaire , WME etc .

I think it's a good thing that there's different alternatives
available. You'll find that most people are using AGS, though.

> I have no knowledge of programming and I basically want to make a
> game to gift to my wife . Ofcourse I only want it to run on Win32.
>
> Which game engine is best for absolute beginner like me ?

I'm not that familiar with Visionaire (AFAIK, no game has been
completed with it yet) but the other four engines has all proven that
they are capable and they are the four ones to consider IMHO. None of
them is open source. All of them makes Windows games (of course).

Personally, I'm working on a game with Sludge. It does cost $50 (or
you get a dialogue box advertising Sludge each time you start the
game, and the advanced features disabled), but it's worth it in my
opinion. It's 100% based on scripting, which makes it slightly more
difficult to get started but you get a lot of flexibility and it
isn't too hard to learn. The forum isn't very active, but when
someone needs help, they get it. (We regulars check it frequently.) I
can recommend Sludge. Games made with it include Out of Order and
Cubert Badbone.

Agast is also completely script-based. It's free for freeware games,
and has an individually decided fee for other games. It was my second
choice after Sludge, but at the time I was deciding what to use it
didn't feel as solid. Games made with it include the newly become
freeware Eye of the Kraken and The Breakdown.

WME is the new kid on the block. It is also the only one able to
handle 3d characters on a 2d background (like Grim Fandango and
Syberia). Like Agast, it's free for non-commercial use, but otherwise
it requires a fee decided on a case-by-case basis. Games made with it
include The Dead City and Five Magical Amulets.

Then there's AGS. It's biggest feature is that it's the most used
engine, so it's got a big community which can help out when needed.
It's also free for any games. It has a Windows-based IDE, but it also
has a scripting language like the others, that you'll have to use for
"the more advanced parts of a game". (Quote from the AGS home page.)
Games made with it include Apprentice (now released in a "deluxe"
version with voices) and 5 Days a Stranger.

I hope thats of some help.

Rikard