What's a good overclocking hard drive?

Pluto101

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2002
What is a good overclocking hard drive? I just corrupted windows with my first venture; I now know the saftey rules. I'm not sure my hard drive took to overclocking physiclly, either: I haven't tested it yet. I would like to continue with overclocking, though, and if I have to get a new hard drive, what's a good model?

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The hard drive itself doesn't get overclocked, just the controller it's plugged in to.

For a decent hard drive have a look at the Western Digital Caviar series.

- JW

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Indeed, some drives DO have problems with overclocked controllers, I had an old Western Digital 10GB drive that would corrupt files whenever I hit a certain PCI bus speed, while my Maxtor has no such problems. I don't know what caused one drive to fail where the other wouldn't, or where the info is.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Generally i think its a good idea not to exceed 15% beyond the PCI speed for longterm stability.
so try to limit your PCI to 38mhz if possible.

In addition, you may get more out of your system if you use shielded IDE cables that are the standard 18" long. Longer ones give errors when you raise the bus speed.

<b>I'm THE THGC Strumpet! Hear me Roar! *Squeak!* :cool: </b>