New computer wont connect to the internet

moxyproxy

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012
i just built my own pc and managed to get it working. so i buy a 25 ft cable and connect one side to my pc and the other one to my modem. my modem recognizes there is a cable connected to it and so does my pc, but it can't find an internet connection. im so confused any help would be appreciated

Solution
Look in the device manager to see if there is an Ethernet network adapter that is listed as working. Did you install the Ethernet driver?

Also, once you have an Ethernet adapter showing up open the network control panel, select change adapter settings, right click on the LAN adapter (Ethernet card) and then select properties. Highlight the line in the white box that says Internet Protocol Version 4 and then click on the properties box to the lower right -- that will give you the page to select how your adapter gets its IP address. Make sure that it is set to obtain an address automatically, which will allow your router to assign the address.

RealBeast

Titan
Look in the device manager to see if there is an Ethernet network adapter that is listed as working. Did you install the Ethernet driver?

Also, once you have an Ethernet adapter showing up open the network control panel, select change adapter settings, right click on the LAN adapter (Ethernet card) and then select properties. Highlight the line in the white box that says Internet Protocol Version 4 and then click on the properties box to the lower right -- that will give you the page to select how your adapter gets its IP address. Make sure that it is set to obtain an address automatically, which will allow your router to assign the address.

Solution