Sign in with
Your question

Onboard sound or PCI Soundcard?

Last response: in Components
October 5, 2002 6:20:59 PM

I'm going to be picking up a Gigiabyte GA-8IHXP and wanted to know if I should stay with onboard sound or pick up a PCI sound card? I'm a heavy gamer and listen to a lot of MP3s. I'm seeing that the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz is making people very happy in the sound department.

<font color=blue>Clean your keyboard once a month to avoid sticky keys. <font color=blue>
October 6, 2002 1:44:40 AM

If you have a decent 4.1 or 5.1 speaker setup then I would definitely suggest the TBSC. However, if you only have a couple of paper cups for speakers then it would be a waste.

To start press any key. Where's the "any" key? --Homer Simpson.
October 6, 2002 2:06:18 AM

I'd try the onboard sound before spending more money. If you like it you can keep the extra money, if not you can buy a TBSC.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
Related resources
October 6, 2002 5:41:37 AM

Thanks for the advice. As for my speakers I have Cambridge Soundworks FPS1000 Four Point Surround setup. Wasn't a bad speaker choice at the time I bought them which was about 1 1/2 years ago. I'll try the onboard first and if I feel I need the extra I'll go for the TBSC.

<font color=blue>Clean your keyboard once a month to avoid sticky keys. <font color=blue>
October 7, 2002 12:34:01 AM

With those speakers I would spend the $60 for the TBSC.

To start press any key. Where's the "any" key? --Homer Simpson.
!