Exile: - No music/sound effects

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

I have just bought Revelation (yes, I know, I'm way behind, but better late
than never and thought I'd better play it before End of Ages is released in
October) but then realised I never finished Exile (can't recall why). For
some reason I have two copies (probably because I thought I'd lost the
original and picked it up again cheap on eBay). Anyway, the problem is this:
I have no sound besides speech. This is the only game I'm having problems
with (I have loaded Revelation and it plays just fine). It (Exile) worked
fine on my older system (running XP Pro with a 3200+, 512MB RAM, Radeon 9700
Pro and an Audigy Platinum). Unfortunately, I no longer have that as I sold
it.

Anyway, it doesn't much care for this - and an adventure is no fun without
sound/music - you lose all the atmosphere! There is nothing wrong with the
volume from within the game's audio options, and I hear nothing when
clicking on the two 'sound' buttons. I'm wondering if it has something to do
with the latest version of DirectX (which I'm running) or the latest version
of QuickTime (ditto).

As I have two copies, and it happens with each, it must be something to do
with this system (FX-55, 3GB RAM, Radeon X850XT PE, Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
Pro, running XP Pro SP2). All drivers are fully updated.

Anyone shed any light? I know there was a patch released to take the game
version from 1.1 to 1.2, but my copies came 'pre-patched'.

I have no issues with any other game - even Myst and Riven play perfectly!

Thanks

P.S. Have you seen the screenshots of Benoit Sokal's latest? If it's half as
good as Syberia, then it's going to be fantastic. It's got elephants in it.
He seems to like pachyderms for some reason. I replayed Syberia 2 the other
day and I *STILL* bawled my eyes out at the end!

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

> Anyway, it doesn't much care for this - and an adventure is no fun without
> sound/music - you lose all the atmosphere! There is nothing wrong with the
> volume from within the game's audio options, and I hear nothing when
> clicking on the two 'sound' buttons. I'm wondering if it has something to
> do with the latest version of DirectX (which I'm running) or the latest
> version of QuickTime (ditto).
>
> As I have two copies, and it happens with each, it must be something to do
> with this system (FX-55, 3GB RAM, Radeon X850XT PE, Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
> Pro, running XP Pro SP2). All drivers are fully updated.
> >
> P.S. Have you seen the screenshots of Benoit Sokal's latest? If it's half
> as good as Syberia, then it's going to be fantastic. It's got elephants in
> it. He seems to like pachyderms for some reason. I replayed Syberia 2 the
> other day and I *STILL* bawled my eyes out at the end!
Hi
I can't help you, but I give you this link to Myst-forums, I'm sure they can
help.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/ubb.x/a/frm/f/153106941

You'll have to register, but as it's free it's worth it.

kind regards
Inge