All-In-Wonder just as a tuner/capture?

TikiDude

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2002
I'd like to upgrade the 3D graphics on an old PC but would like to keep the video tuner/capture capabilities of its current ATI All-In-Wonder Pro card in the AGP slot. Someone suggested that I could install a VisionTek Xtasy G4 MX420 in one PCI slot (to use as my graphics card) and just retain the ATI tuner/capture software for the AIWPro. Has anyone done this and can summarize the procedure?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No you can't. Any PCI card will be slower 3D graphics than most AGP cards. Your "Pro" is a Rage 128 chip I think, so it's already performing at or above the level of the best PCI cards. You might consider an All In Wonder Radeon AGP, which can be had for less than $100, <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduct.asp?description=14-102-162&depa=0" target="_new">Here's one for $79</A>. This card will offer at least 4x the performance of the MX420 PCI.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I still think you'd be disappointed in a PCI card, they have 1/8 the bandwidth of an AGP4x card, and they have to share that small bandwidth with other PCI devices, including the onboard hard disk controller.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>