Sign in with
Your question

Long distance cable

Last response: in Networking
October 29, 2012 3:54:16 PM

Hello all;

I have tried to do some searching but the answers i am coming up with are not very optimistic and need a direct opinion about my situation

Our house is located up a hill and a long way (1,400ft) from the main road and we always have problems with the signal dropping on our cable internet connection. According to the line tech's that have been to our house the problem lies with the 20+ year old cable that is being used to get the cable signal from the road box to the house

I am wanting to replace that cable but from what i have read so far is that cat 5/6 cannot go the distance i require

I have looked into going with a long range wi-fi but there is no direct line of site from the road to the house and there are a million tree's in between us and the road so its not really practical

we are not needing any major amount of speed, just enough to do surfing, streaming, and the kids like to do multiplayer gaming. 7-10mbps would be great for us, before we started having problems with the cable we were only getting 4-5mbps and that was enough for what we needed

any suggestions?

thanks!

More about : long distance cable

October 29, 2012 9:47:22 PM

You can get Ethernet extenders that use CAT 5/6 to get a signal thousands of feet.
m
l
October 29, 2012 10:53:56 PM

The way many of the ethernet extenders work is to run DSL over the wire much like the phone company does. Needless to say these are not cheap boxes.

Most your costs are going to be digging and running the cable. You may want to look at fiber as a option, the fiber itself is much more expensive than copper cable but the units on the end are much cheaper since they are very common.

I suspect you are going to have a issue with power on the road end. You somehow are going to have to provide a box to terminate the equipment in and connect to the ISP equipment.

If it is coax cable you are currently using it may just be simpler to run new cable and have it spliced at the street.
m
l
Related resources
October 30, 2012 4:05:18 PM

I looked into running extenders and it didnt really seem practical not only the cost but also the ability to power the units as well

the cost of digging isnt really to bad, my brother is a gas piper and he has access to a trencher so the only real cost is the PVC conduit and the wire

I'm not to familiar with fiber optic but it is an option i had somewhat looked into but at basically $1.00 per foot im looking at a lot of money there

Can you use coax to run for internet. I thought i read somewhere it has a maximum range of 300-500 ft

if it is possible to run coax that legnth im sure it wouldnt be to dificult to adapt it into the system, that might be the best way to go if it can go that distance

I know that there are different types of coax, what would be practical in this application

thanks for the information!!!
m
l
October 30, 2012 7:50:59 PM

I would suggest using Cat3 cabling for this actually because Cat3 is extremely cheap. Then you can buy a pair of VDSL modems from Panoptic like this: http://www.panoptictechnology.com/smart-room-network-v2...

Those little VDSL modems will give you up to 100Mbps speeds at up to a mile over Cat3 cable. They're extremely easy to install and they're very reliable. We use them to network together buildings on our resort properties so that we can use the existing phone lines instead of running ethernet/fiber between buildings.

I hope you have access to power in the road box. Also, be sure to run a spare line and a pull string in your conduit in case you have problems down the road.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions.
m
l
November 16, 2012 6:30:27 PM

So i figured i would follow up on this a little and let you know what we did cause in my mind it is kinda awesome

so while we were trying to figure out what to do i looked into internet via satellite. quite frankly the speeds available in our area were ridiculously expensive and slow so it wasn’t really the best way to go

so i found out that there is a company by the name of DIGIS that provides long range WiFi internet by using a transmitter tower and a receiving dish at the home. The only problem is that we were just out of range of their transmitters

so i was talking to my cousin who is a technical genius he said "if we had a larger receiver dish then i bet i can get it to work"

that’s when he got a unusual idea.

we used to have the OLD satellite TV service that uses the giant 10' satellite dishe. So he went to work on it.

I wish i could provide more detail. but he rebuilt the receiving cone and hand made some sort of eceiver with copper wire and sheets, he called it a bowtie receiver. we went bought a router from digis, line adaptors, & a signal converter. then the digis tech came up and lined up the satellite dish with their transmitter.

blammo 12/2 mbps

cost $275.00
m
l
!