bigpoppapumpg

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2002
some guy whos knowledable about sound cards keeps telling me creative products blow and the turtle beach santa cruz is alot better for sound quality. is the audigy crap?

The Audigy cards are not crap, they're just not as good as the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, though I was having trouble with my Audigy loosing the center channel while playing music, it worked well for games. However the TBSC has not been lacking in any of those areas, if I was solely a gamer and didn't play music and DVDs on my computer, I would have never found out the difference, however when you've paid for the 5.1 surround sound speakers you expect to get 5.1 that includes the center speaker for everything in my book. Having and using both cards I recommend the Turtle Beach over the Creative, its a much better sound period. Ryan

Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.

bigpoppapumpg

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2002
see thats my question, even if the santa cruz is better... is it that much better? I mean would I even be able to notice a difference listening to music though the altec lansing 641 4.1 speakers im going to buy?

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
Its a matter of personal preference and taste and how your ear is shaped.

My suggestion, find a way to listen to both then decide which one you prefer, neither is crap. But Creative is crap even if their product isnt... hope that helps=P

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out

Read my post again, I presently own both cards, I'm running the TBSC in my computer because its a much better card, my Audigy soundcard is in my file cabinet. Ryan

PS Thats 100 US Dollars sitting in my file cabinet, and if it didn't deserve to be there it wouldn't be.

Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Creative blows, their user support blows, their drivers blow, and their technology is always lacking something (that is, there are always certain features that either don't work or don't work right). And in a couple years when you loose your installation CD, you'll look to Creative's website for a driver and only find a driver update. They will tell you to pay them $15 for a new CD.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

bigpoppapumpg

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2002
they have full drivers and all software on there sites... NO COMPANY would be that friggin cheap, woulndt make sense to do that. Can you imagine if nvidia did that with there vid cards...they'd go out of business

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Actually I've already run into the "pay $15 dollars for a driver disk, the driver isn't on the website" problem with Creative on several cards, including the Creative Ensoniq and Creative SB 128. In fact both cards were only 2-3 years old when Creative dropped the drivers from their site.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Crashman to my knowledge is not a liar, and would not tell you something to mislead you, if he says he had this problem, he did, you've received enough information to make a proper decision for yourself, but its up to you, with what you, do with that information, you're not going to change our opinions, we know what we're talking about. Ryan

PS In the past many sites have done exactly the same thing and its not just a common practice of Creative, the worst I've seen is HP, you better not loose a loading disk from them

ritesh_laud

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001
Actually I've already run into the "pay $15 dollars for a driver disk" problem with Creative on several cards, including the Creative Ensoniq and Creative SB 128. In fact both cards were only 2-3 years old when Creative dropped the drivers from their site.
Then you got ripped off, because I just checked their site and the SB 128 drivers have *not* been dropped off their site, here's what's available for the SB 128 for free:

1. drivers for the SB PCI128
2. drivers for the SB Audio PCI
3. update for Wave Studio program
4. applications update
5. three Ensoniq wavesets for the software MIDI synthesizer

Notice how the full Wave Studio program is not offered above. That's perfectly legit, it's a third party program and Creative's not in the business of giving that stuff away and getting sued by the programmers. But the drivers are free, always have been.

I recently downloaded Audigy drivers for FREE off Creative's site. If you're talking about stuff like Cakewalk music composition software, then it makes sense for Creative to charge for the replacement because they have to pay for every copy they bundle with the card and if you lose the CD, they have to send you a fresh copy. But drivers? Gimme a break, they're free and always have been. I've used Creative cards for a decade and *never* had to pay for drivers.

Ritesh

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ritesh_laud on 10/08/02 08:27 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Nope, I'm talking about a driver CD. You're basically calling me a liar, take a look at #5 on your list, that's not the driver!

They may have added the PCI128 driver since then? Who knows, I can't keep track.

BTW, they also own the drivers for Aureal cards, they bought the "intelectual property" from that company. Think we'll ever see a driver update?

Kronos

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2001
You would do well to make a burn of all the drivers you use and the updates.

I want to die like my Grandfather...in my sleep...not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, well, the cards I had that were unsupported were in systems I bought off lease. The company I bought them from is a liquidator, so the drives were formatted, etc. I figured I'd just get the drivers from the website, ended up searching all over hell until someone posted them on driverguide.com.

Since then I've bought a few cards white-boxed and kept the CD's. My customers don't get the CDs. They cost too much to replace!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You have just proven the lengths to which some idiots will go to in order to prove someone/something right when they know they are wrong! I didn't say I expected them to send me a CD, I said I EXPECT ANY COMPANY TO CARRY THE DRIVERS FOR THEIR PRODUCT ON THEIR WEBSITE! You can't defend your darling company by trying to change what I said into a plea for free disk, I made no such statement. If you thing I should have to PAY $15 FOR A CD BECAUSE A COMPANY REFUSES TO PUT THE DRIVER ON THEIR WEBSITE then you are a truely pathetic customer who deserves whatever Creative throws at you. This is a forum for logic and reason, not one for the purpose of writing love letters about Creative.

ritesh_laud

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001
I didn't say I expected them to send me a CD, I said I EXPECT ANY COMPANY TO CARRY THE DRIVERS FOR THEIR PRODUCT ON THEIR WEBSITE!
Are you reading the nonsense you're posting? First you claim Creative doesn't have free drivers, then I tell you I've been downloading them for years, then you turn around and say you're talking about a driver CD that you want, then I reply saying that the driver CD is an extra cost for them and there's nothing wrong with them charging you for it, then you claim (once again wrongly) that Creative purposely didn't carry drivers on their web site so you'd have to buy the CD when my experience proves otherwise.

Lol, I know what it is: you obviously visited the wrong web site. Perhaps you typed "creativeyoungteens.com" or "creativelycrappylabs.com" or something. Like I said, through several Creative cards since 1995 I've been visiting their web site and downloading full drivers for free. And even before that for the SB16, I was dialing in to their BBS. So maybe you should go back and check what web sites you were visiting before tossing around rumors about Creative not putting drivers on their web site.

Ritesh

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'm not saying nonsense, take me to the Creative Ensoniq driver page and you've won your argument.

I didn't say I wanted the freaking CD you fruitcake, I said I wanted the DRIVERS for the Creative Ensoniq soundcard and the only way to GET THEM from CREATIVE is to PURCHASE THE CD!

You can't win because you KNOW that they don't exist on that site, that's the most likely reason you are trying to distract the other users on your little tangent.

ritesh_laud

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001
I didn't say I wanted the freaking CD you fruitcake, I said I wanted the DRVERS for the Creative Ensoniq soundcard and the only way to GET THEM from CREATIVE is to PURCHASE THE CD!
Heh, he called me a fruitcake! Ok, what's this Creative Ensoniq soundcard, never heard of it. Ensoniq was a company bought by Creative, who then used their technology to make their PCI64 and PCI128 cards. Those drivers you can easily download. Never heard of the "Creative Ensoniq" card, please elaborate.

Ritesh

ritesh_laud

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001
I'm not saying nonsense, take me to the Creative Ensoniq driver page and you've won your argument.
Ok I think I know what card you're talking about: the Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI. Guess what, the drivers for that card are on the web site. Go see for yourself!

Ritesh

bigpoppapumpg

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2002
excuse me, was that reply intended for me? I didn't call anyone a liar, but I know creative has drivers and software for most if not all of there cards on there website for free. most companies do. and no i still haven't recieved enough information because im still undecided which card to get.

Crashman, It appears Ritesh Laud is right about the Creative website drivers, I checked it out for myself, it also appears, this is turning into a big, going nowhere, argument, Catch you later. Ryan

bigpoppapumpg

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2002
ya i was right to, think i might have mentioned creative had drivers to there cards online. thanks for staying on topic though about whether or not the audigy sucks

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Creative Ensoniq PCI was Creative's first card based on the unmodified Ensoniq archetecture.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, that's the card, now where exactly do I find these drivers?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
NO COMPANY would be that friggin cheap[/quot]
ya i was right to, think i might have mentioned creative had drivers to there cards online
Nope, you have yet to prove that they have all their drivers online. Specifically, find the drivers for the Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI, they weren't there three years ago when the card was still relavent, I doubt they've added them since. If you can prove that this driver has been added to your website, you will have only prooven your second statement, not your first.