Moving Disk from Intel to AMD

Drives aren't CPU fussy. :smile:

If your drive has an installed OS on it, then you'll likely have to re-format it if you plan to change the motherboard.

<b><font color=blue>~ <A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=324" target="_new">My System Specs</A> ~<font color=blue></b> :wink:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No problem. If you're lucky enough to be using Windows 98, you can simply copy all the new chipset drivers to the hard drive first, then go into device manager and remove all the hardware from the list, then transfer the drive. When you start the other system with this drive, it will detect hardware and ask for the drivers you've already coppied it. Sometimes after all the drivers are installed you have to do a basic install-over of the operating system to straighten out the system registry, but you won't have to format, so you won't loose your files or programs.

Now if you're using XP it might be a lost cause, you'll probably need to reformat.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hehehe
there shouldnt be any problems, unless you installed an operating system on it.

If its just a data drive, just move it along, plug it in, set the jumpers correctly, and let windows handle the rest.

If its got an OS on it, and you want to boot from it, its best to boot up in safe mode then do a reinstall as it will detect everything as new... and probably cauze a mess.

<b> :cool: I :smile: think :frown: I'm :redface: addicted :wink: to :eek: these :mad: ever :eek: so :tongue: cute :cool: smiley :lol: faces! :wink: </b>

TRENDING THREADS