DDR vs RDRAM800 vs RDRAM1066

scottphillips

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2002
What is the difference in performance between these memory for a P4-2.53. Is it worth getting the RDRAM 1066. I mostly play games and surf.

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
In simple terms...

Yes PC1066 will yield the best performance.

You will have to change the memory clock speed to get the sticks up to 533Mhz base clock from the default of 400Mhz.

<b>"If I melt dry ice in a bathtub, can I take a bath without getting wet?" - Steven Wright</b>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Is it worth getting a sports car and not put high performance tires on it? Sure, it'll work with regular tires, but it'll never be <i>quite</i> as good. It'll never be at its top potential.

So the question of if it is worth it is really up to you. Do you want to spend that much on a top-notch system and them skimp on cheap RAM that will hold back your overall performance and experience? If money is that important, then go ahead and get cheap RAM. If you want the absolute best performance out of your expensive CPU, then don't cut corners on something as heavily used as RAM.

<pre><A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/comic/186.htm" target="_new"><font color=red>It's all relative...</font color=red></A></pre><p>

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
Well said! (Even if it is from a guy in search of more EDO.)

:smile: hehe!!!

<b>"If I melt dry ice in a bathtub, can I take a bath without getting wet?" - Steven Wright</b>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well said! (Even if it is from a guy in search of more EDO.)

:smile: hehe!!!
Heh heh. I <i>might</i> have finally found a good solution to my P-133 problem though.

A friend's computer just had their hard drive die. Well, I'm assuming the HD is dead since there were <i>three</i> directories named 'Windows' on the root, and yet Windows couldn't even load. Heh heh. Anywho, so it died and just as I was diagnosing it (and wishing that I carried a boot disk with me everywhere) another friend came in and said he had an old PC that had been scavenged for spare parts, but he thought that a hard drive was still in it.

So in the process he unearthed a mid-tower AT case with an old Socket7 mobo that takes EDO RAM! (That's where the hard drive still sat.) He ran right home, ran it back to us, and then ran off again. He joked about just tossing it in the dumster when we were stripping the hard drive out of it. Unfortunately, I didn't even get the chance to ask him if he was serious or not. :(

I managed the hard drive swap after a painful mislabeling by the manufacturer of just how the master/slave jumper configuration <i>supposedly</i> went. (Yay for my persistance and my specialized PC maintanance Swiss Army Knife that goes everywhere with me!) But if I'm lucky, I might get a free shiny Socket7 mobo if they were serious about not wanting the old thing anymore. :) (Which I could kind of see since about the only thing left on it was the CPU and a PCI 2D card with a 3DFX (probably Voodoo of some sort?) PCI 3D expander.

If so, I'm gonna see what kind of processor is in it, and keep that in unless a P-133 is better. Then I'll dig up my old P-133's RAM and a spare 2GB hard drive and put it into there, and violla, a working P-133 again to load DOS 6.22 onto. Then, if I'm lucky and can dig up all of the old DOS drivers that I'll need and if the mobo supports it, I might feel like splurging in search of the ellusive 256MB of EDO ram! Ha ha ha ha.

Well, okay, so maybe this is all hanging by a thread right now, but I'd love to have a system that I can run Earth Siege1, BattleDrome, Master of Magic, etc., etc. on. I miss my SB AWE 32. :( It had such nice midi...

But anywho, yeah, I may be kind of in search of EDO, but that's only because I live in the past as often as I live in the present. He he he. :)

<pre><A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/comic/186.htm" target="_new"><font color=red>It's all relative...</font color=red></A></pre><p>

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
Like I said before... If you need some feel free to ask... I will gladly help out a fellow THGC member.

I only ask in return that you help me out with shipping, but most importantly help me with getting people together for a THG LAN Party. See the <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=45775#45775" target="_new">Others Section for details</A>.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Like I said before... If you need some feel free to ask... I will gladly help out a fellow THGC member.

I only ask in return that you help me out with shipping
I know and appreciate the offer. :) Right now though I don't even have the money for shipping. :( (And if I did, unfortunately there are too many more important mundane expenses awaiting.)

If I can get a base system running I may take you up on the RAM offer in the future. Right now though it's more just a slow-moving hobbie. When my P-133 first died, I spent a lot of money and time to keep it running, only to have the next part die, and then the next part. I'd have thought it was the power supply or mobo shorting out other parts if I hadn't replaced both of them in the process. Heh heh.

But I just currently don't have the money or time to resume that endeavor should it get back to that, which was why I replaced the system entirely with a bargain-basement-priced Celeron 500 system that I've slowly been upgrading. (Though not at all lately...)

but most importantly help me with getting people together for a THG LAN Party. See the Others Section for details.
It sounds cool. :) Unfortunately, I have three problems with attending:

1) My PC has refused to work with 3 different LAN cards so far. I've given up trying to get the bloody thing to take to a LAN. :(

2) I already have Samhain plans for the whole Nov 2nd weekend.

3) I live in Wisconsin and couldn't afford the gas to drive that far. (Nor the housing accomodations for Ye Olde Wife were I to take to the road for a trip like that.) Heh heh.

Other than that though, the concept of a THG/THGC LAN party sounds really cool! Hopefully it goes well and in the future I can attend one or two. :) (Maybe that'll give me enough time to work on improving my lame skillz.) I'll try to help advertise it though.

On final thought: When someone offers beef jerky labelled 'hell fire hot' and you still have working tastebuds ... don't eat it. That is, don't eat it if you want to keep your tastebuds working. **LOL** I think I'm going to have to have a late lunch today in the vain hope of being able to eventually taste that lunch...

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=45775#45775" target="_new"><font color=red>Join</font color=red> <font color=blue>the</font color=blue> <font color=green>THGC</font color=green> <font color=orange>LAN</font color=orange> <font color=purple>Party</font color=purple>!</A>

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Like I said before... If you need some feel free to ask... I will gladly help out a fellow THGC member

I only help for those that want RDRAM systemes want DDR ask someone else want AMD ask someone else

Now what to do??

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I only help for those that want RDRAM systemes want DDR ask someone else want AMD ask someone else
I don't want RDRAM, DDR, or even SDR SDRAM. I want EDO SIMMs!

[evil laughter]
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!
[/evil laughter]

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=45775#45775" target="_new"><font color=red>Join</font color=red> <font color=blue>the</font color=blue> <font color=green>THGC</font color=green> <font color=orange>LAN</font color=orange> <font color=purple>Party</font color=purple>!</A>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
i guess that ok but i dont like legacy stuff
Are you kidding? Legacy stuff is great! It brings back so many fond memories, so much nostalgia. Playing Pac Man on a 2.4GHz P4 just isn't the same as playing it on an Atari or a C=64. If we don't keep around legacy systems, then how will we ever be able to compare just how far PCs and software have gotten? :)

Besides, most of the best games were written back before good graphics and sound even existed, so game developers had to develop games that actually provoked thought, had a storyline, and took actual time to play. I once had a RPG on my C=64 that took <i>seven months</i> to complete.

Now a day it's just all about hand-eye coordination, eye candy, and instant gratification. Two weeks later, you've beaten the game repeatedly and are bored to death with it. Where is the fun in that?

You can stick with the latest and 'greatest' (and I use that term loosely) if you want. Me, I'll stick to both that <i>and</i> legacy. Sometimes just blowing $#!+ up is enough, but sometimes, I want to really be forced to think as I solve a <i>real</i> puzzle.

And besides, there will <i>always</i> be classics. :)

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Ive seen a fair amount of EDO at swapmeets :)
Woah! Swapmeets and fleamarkets are another thing I haven't enjoyed since Alabama. :( Here in Wisconsin it seems to all just be goodwill type stores if anything at all.

While they may have some great prices on old flowerpots, worn couches, and used cloths, their prices royally suck arse on PCs. It's probably because it's all run by old folks and they don't have clue one about PCs.

I've seen a 286 with 640KB of RAM that boots up to 'general failure reading drive C' on a green monochrome 14" monitor priced at $250 there at these stores. Hell, they sell 5.25" floppies (not the drives, the <i>floppy disks</i>) for a buck a piece.

So I generally avoid shopping at those places for my PC needs. **LOL**

I did however just pick up a cute set of three brass kettle-shaped flower pots for $4.50. :)

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Are you kidding? Legacy stuff is great! It brings back so many fond memories, so much nostalgia. Playing Pac Man on a 2.4GHz P4 just isn't the same as playing it on an Atari or a C=64. If we don't keep around legacy systems, then how will we ever be able to compare just how far PCs and software have gotten? :)

Besides, most of the best games were written back before good graphics and sound even existed, so game developers had to develop games that actually provoked thought, had a storyline, and took actual time to play. I once had a RPG on my C=64 that took seven months to complete.

Now a day it's just all about hand-eye coordination, eye candy, and instant gratification. Two weeks later, you've beaten the game repeatedly and are bored to death with it. Where is the fun in that?

You can stick with the latest and 'greatest' (and I use that term loosely) if you want. Me, I'll stick to both that and legacy. Sometimes just blowing $#!+ up is enough, but sometimes, I want to really be forced to think as I solve a real puzzle.

I know but the market have expent so like in everything the the lowest number is the reference.The same happen in everything in hardware the systemes will go faster until he hit a lowest point (or slowest point)you got 10 gamer
2 old timer
2 fan freake
6 new personne that buy a new console fr XXX reason

So on 10 game release 8 will be for the new personne i dont know for you but WWF games it stupid and it gross.Shothers is the big market now and cute little game.

Now what to do??

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
No matter how hard I try to understand you Juin, I just can't do it.

Where are you from anyway...?

I took Calculus based Econometrics with Dr. Revankar. With Dr. Chang I took Calc. based MicroEconomics I & II , International Economics, Game Theory, Etc. I took MacroEconomics with Prof. Kim.

Those I can understand, but you... forget it. I was in Ireland and could understand drunk people in Galway under a strong accent and booze. One of my house mates there was from Northern Scotland. No problems.

Either you need a new translation program or you need more English composition lessons.

<font color=red><b>Come to the <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=45775#45775" target="_new">THG Gathering/LAN party</A>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hehehe
I like flowerpots too!

Over here in Melbourne Australia swapmeets are quite well regulated, the most noted of which is run every sunday, at varying locations around the suburbs, typically in the town hall. (they cycle thru the townhalls every 4-6 weeks, and 2 are on each sunday).

It costs $3AU to enter ($1.50US), and there is a broad range of products on offer, which one can generally put into categories.
A) normal PC stores that set up stalls.
B) small shops & specialty vendors that just sell CD stuff (blanks, jewel cases etc), mobile phones stuff, cables ties and dodads.
C) games sellers
D) overclockers stand. lots of nice heatsinks here!
E) cases psu's & techie tools
F) Printer supplies.
G) second hand resellers. These be the guys u get your pentium classics, 486's, 2gig drives and EDO :wink:

there is commonly even a guy who does "computer repair busking". u bring along a pc and he will check it out free of charge, with the tips hat beside for whatever tip u consider appropriate.

The only thing thats really missing is high end stuff. Sometimes hard to find that as even the PC stores use swapmeets to get rid of older stock.

<b><font color=red>He who bargains with a dragon is either a fool or a corpse.</font color=red></b>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
LHGPooBaa, those swapmeets sound found fun. :) I don't mind not having the latest and greatest since I usually can't afford them anyway. Heh heh.

Hey, are there many jobs for a computer programmer in Melbourne? My wife grew up in Benambra (I'm not sure if I spelled that one right. Heh heh.) and one day we hope to go back over to Australia. But since I'm more 'skilled' than she is, we'd need to locate to an area where I actually had a chance of finding work with decent pay. **LOL** And somehow I think that moving out to a small town in farm country like where she grew up (and thus where her family is) wouldn't do too well for our finances.

Of course, who knows when/if we will ever move. We'd have to do a lot of work on our house to build up the equity to make the move and all, which could take a couple of years. It never hurts to scope things out though. :)

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
No matter how hard I try to understand you Juin, I just can't do it.
Don't feel bad. I can't understand juin half (ok, maybe more like 99%) of the time either. I can understand a friend who stuttered a lot. I can hold conversations with mentally disabled people who mutter a lot and say things in the strangest of ways. I can even understand marketspeak (such as "enstrengthening your stakeholdership"). Hell, I can even usually understand my boss when he says things in German because he can't think of the English word/phrase quick enough.

Understanding juin though, that takes real effort. ;)

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
A computer programmer in Melbourne? I Doubt it. Though i dont really know.

Maybe you should try <A HREF="http://www.careerone.com.au" target="_new">http://www.careerone.com.au</A> :smile:

<b><font color=red>He who bargains with a dragon is either a fool or a corpse.</font color=red></b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You could get EDO cheap from www.computersurplusoutlet.com Or you could get FPM memory as well, EDO boards are backwards compatable to FPM memory.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks for the link. :)

Yeah, I doubted that it would be likely. Things might have changed a bit since my wife left Australia, but probably not <i>that</i> much. Heh heh. Maybe I should work on changing careers.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Hmm. That's something to keep in mind too. First though I have to get the system up and running. <i>Then</i> I can try to get a crap-load of RAM for it. :)

At least ever since I ordered two 128MB sticks of PC133 a few months ago my Celeron 500 box no longer has only 96MB of RAM. It felt kind of odd having a 128MB in my Pentium 133 system but only 96MB in my Celeron 500 system. Heh heh. It always felt like a 'downgrade' to me. If I can get 256MB for my Pentium 133 though (causing it to match my Celeron 500 box)... I'm not sure how I'll feel. :|