Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Belkin Router as Access Point

Last response: in Wireless Networking
September 17, 2012 1:33:44 AM

Hello,
I am a newbie, and I am using a Verizon Fios system at home. I have a desktop pc on the other side of the house from my modem that does not have wireless capabilities. I read that I can use an access point to connect it to my wireless network. I'm not sure if this is true or not. I set up my Belkin N150 basic router as directed to make it an access point. I connected it to my desktop pc on the other side of the house and it does not work. 1. Can this set up work? 2. If so, what do I need to do to get connected? Currently the pc is not even recognizing the router/access pt.
September 17, 2012 4:11:24 PM

You want to run the router as a BRIDGE. Your problem is how do you expect to connect to the modem if it does not have wireless. You would need to run a wire which then leads to the question of why bother in the first place just hook the PC up.
m
l
September 17, 2012 4:50:50 PM

Thank you for the response. So even if I config the router as a bridge I would need a wire? Are the only ways to make this happen with out a wire are to buy a wireless card or a USB card?
m
l
Related resources
September 17, 2012 5:09:38 PM

A USB wireless card is the cheapest thing to try first less than $10.

m
l
September 17, 2012 6:43:03 PM

bill001g said:
A USB wireless card is the cheapest thing to try first less than $10.

Unfortunately I tried that and it is just too far from the router for it to work well. I can use my Internet off my cell phone over in that are just fine but the USB signal is too weak.
m
l

Best solution

September 17, 2012 7:10:22 PM

You have the common issue you see people asking about all the time here. Even a bridge will not receive the signal any better. Mostly the bridge allows you to place it in a better place in the room....but a USB with a USB extender cable does that too.

There is no good way to solve this. You either run a ethernet cable, or use something like the powerline extenders to use your electrical wire to connect it. Most people cannot get the ethernet run in the walls and the powerline devices tend to be finicky some times.
The other option is to put in wireless repeaters in some room 1/2 between the router and the end devices. This have mixed results as to how well they work and tend to require a good understand of wireless to implement. Be sure if you try this the store you buy it from has a good return policy since sometimes it does not help at all.
September 17, 2012 9:02:21 PM

Best answer selected by btkgator.
m
l
September 17, 2012 9:03:16 PM

bill001g said:
You have the common issue you see people asking about all the time here. Even a bridge will not receive the signal any better. Mostly the bridge allows you to place it in a better place in the room....but a USB with a USB extender cable does that too.

There is no good way to solve this. You either run a ethernet cable, or use something like the powerline extenders to use your electrical wire to connect it. Most people cannot get the ethernet run in the walls and the powerline devices tend to be finicky some times.
The other option is to put in wireless repeaters in some room 1/2 between the router and the end devices. This have mixed results as to how well they work and tend to require a good understand of wireless to implement. Be sure if you try this the store you buy it from has a good return policy since sometimes it does not help at all.

Thank you! That was extremely helpful.
m
l
!